What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steve Rogers.

sharkboy226

Juniors
I'm only 18 so I never saw him play, but I've seen the odd highlight reel and it is enough to convince me he was one of the best.

I live in Brisbane but I met him in 2001 at ANZ Stadium before a game against the Broncos, he signed the sharks t-shirt i was wearing at the time and said it was great to see a young sharks fan up here (i've lived up here my whole life). First thing i did when i got home today, after hearing the news on the radio, was to put that shirt on.

Still can't believe it.

RIP Sludge.

Sharkie73

Bench
I still can't belive it. I've had a whole day to come to terms with this but is still dosn't seem real. The greatest player I ever watched Gone just like that and only aged 51 which makes it even worse.

sharkadelic

Juniors
I too, am a Brisbanite born into the wrong era although I have seen a fair bit of video footage. But I did get to see him play in a legends of league match (he had lost a little pace;-)) and I finally met him in person and got an autograph at the Gold Coast Chargers final game. Very approachable with a lot of time for the fans was my impression.

RIP to a great Clubman, a great servant of Rugby League and amazing athlete.

gavin_miller

Juniors
I don't remember actually seeing Steve Rogers play in the flesh as I was quite young when he finished up but I do know I was at a game or two of his and remember the awe in which fans held him. And the vision I have seen since is awesome.

As a kid, I was actually in hospital next to Mat Rogers when we were like 8 years old or so. We both had our apendix out. Seeing Sludge everyday for a week was pretty cool and I still have the Sharks ball he signed for me whilst I was in hospital. Its a memory that just came back to me actually.

As a CEO I was, like others, critical at times of him. But it's a high profile and tough job to do. I must say he always responded to the emails I wrote him (both in praise...punting Anderson... and concern...the awful era of Anderson) and the move to bring back the old jersey etc showed his true spirit to the club.

I wonder what else this club can go through before it combusts?
Here's hoping for him we don't, and we have a strong year.

Ozzwald

Juniors
I posted this one the NRL board yesterday, but wanted also to pay my respects in the official Cronulla Sutherland Sharks boards. As I type this, some 15 odd hours after I heard this devistating news, I still have tears in my eyes. I think it really starting to hit me now. I can't believe you're gone Steve.........​

It's a terribly sad day for Australian Rugby League, the Cronulla Sharks & also the Dragons. And I am absolutely stunned.

I logged onto smh.com earlier this evening (I'm in the USA) to discover this shocking & terrible news. I read the headline "Steve Rogers Dead" & I was overcome with a wave of dread. Not only because this man was one of my idols growing up as a kid (I was ecstatic when he donned the Red V for us in the '83 season) & although it was only a short tenure with Saints, it was amazing to see probably my all-time favourite player toiling on my team.​
More so, this news has hit me hard for the fact that back from around 2000-2002 I trained with Steve Rogers, alongside him in a daily boxercise class (that would range in numbers anywhere from 10 people to 40 or 50) under Les Motto at the Cronulla Sports Complex. I would see Steve every morning, bright & early at 6:30, we'd exchange pleasantries together & then get into some good hard training. I was never buddy-like with him, but we always said hi & talked briefly. God I am just shocked. A few years have passed since I last trained with him & it shocks me cause the guy was in great shape back then. He went as hard as anyone else in the class & there were quite a few young fit guys in attendance. sh*t....you just never know when your number is up. I have yet to find any confirmation on the cause of death. I hope it was quick & painless.​
Steve Rogers....Rest In Peace. You were an absolute legend, icon & idol in Australian Rugby League & Sports in general & you will be always remembered as such. Thanks for the wonderful memories, your magic on the football field & your friendliness to me. I'll never forget you.​

SteveRogers_1978_border.jpg

RogersDragon_border.jpg

SteveRogers_1978_border_01.jpg

Tucky

Juniors
Immensely shocked to hear the news yesterday. My condolences to family and friends.

I was absolutely gobsmacked upon hearing the news of Steve's passing. To all of Sludges family I extend deepest sympathy and can look back fondly of our conversations and the odd couple of drinks together. RIP mate. You've left a hole that will be immensely difficult to fill.
Pierre

Objective One

Juniors
I'll never forget
- the glide
- the imperceptible switch to full pace
- the front on and cover defence
Let's celebrate the wonderful memories he left us and remember that, even though his life was touched with more sadness than many of us could imagine, he led a life doing what he loved. Too short, but a lesson to us all: do what you love because none of us know how long we've got.
Vale Sludge.

Shark

Bench
ShArKsMaN said:
ill be wearing my sharks jersey to work today..

I walked in, and my boss said "Want us to put on some black arm bands?"

Funny thing is, he was serious. He's a mad Panthers fan, followed League all his life, 5 years younger than Sludge at 46, and it's shaken him up.

The Nulla #2

Bench
I see in the news today, sludge had left letters to his family before is passing..?

Can anyone back that up? Im a little gobsmacked

Ozzwald

Juniors
"THE rugby league legend Steve Rogers had left a series of notes for his family before his sudden death in the stairwell of his waterfront unit at Cronulla." - smh.com.au

I saw that report last night (US time) about the notes also. I have just sat on my concerns regarding it, pretty much until someone else mentioned it. I didn't want to be overly presumptious in my assertions of what actually happened.

But what exactly does "(he) left a series of notes for his family before his sudden death" mean? I mean, what sort of notes??? I am loathe to suggest the unthinkable, but I am stumped as to why he would leave messages for his family before he was discovered dead in his apartment complex. I just don't get it. It seems like an aweful & ominous coincidence?

I realize the notes could be anything......"Going to be late for lunch today", "Gone to breakfast with Joe Blo, I'll be back in an hour" etc etc....but in this age of SMS messages & cell phones, & the fact that there were allegedly a "series" of notes, one must admit something seems a little amiss. This angle of this tragic event has certainly left me with more than a casual wondering & an increased bitter taste in my mouth.

I am just so sad Steve is gone.

The Nulla #2

Bench
so what does this mean ? the obvious ? Did he know he was going to pass away.?

So sad, such a shame, a great club man whether u like him or not.

Loved seeing his face down at cronulla throwing back a red wine while throwing a few hunj in roulette

Shark

Bench
I wouldn't read too much into what the SMH has written. It said he'd written a few notes to people. Hell, do none of us write emails, send SMS's or leave something stuck on the 'fridge for our family or friends?

Very poor journalism on the part of the SMH, in this article and a few others. Poor research, misleading statements and very average journalistic skills for a publication that rates itslelf so highly.

Ozzwald

Juniors
Shark said:
I wouldn't read too much into what the SMH has written. It said he'd written a few notes to people. Hell, do none of us write emails, send SMS's or leave something stuck on the 'fridge for our family or friends?

Very poor journalism on the part of the SMH, in this article and a few others. Poor research, misleading statements and very average journalistic skills for a publication that rates itslelf so highly.

I agree Shark, very poor journalism indeed......but to me the word "notes" implies a written correspondence. I would have thought an e-mail or SMS message would have been referred to as such. I am not at all trying to insinuate something other than what has been reported regarding Steve's death as merely an attempt to sensationalize this tragic event, but I just found the whole "notes" thing quite strange.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Shark said:

I wouldn't dismiss anything either.

Latest posts