What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steve Turner released, staying in Melbourne

nqboy

First Grade
innsaneink said:
Yeah...thats why the Gold Coast initially ''signed'' him. :roll:
So let's see. The Titans signed him so he must be special. Is that your argument?

Is Sideshow Bob special too? What about Brad Meyers?

innsaneink

Referee
nqboy said:
So let's see. The Titans signed him so he must be special. Is that your argument?

Yes they are, theyre special in that theyre experienced NRL players...there really isnt too many players that fit that criteria....many many more that dont.
Plenty would give a left nut to to get where they have gotten in footy.

nqboy said:

Sideshow Bob...a shocker in defence and a joke of a player.:cool:

Willow said:
I was going to suggest you do the same:

"We would also like to acknowledged that throughout this period Michael Searle and the Titans have acted in a professional manner, for which we are appreciative".
-Brian Waldron
Must eat you up .... Storm get Steve Turner. :D

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Turner's playing future doesn't worry me at all Mike. The issue was about contracts and honouring those agreemnts. Not neccessarily about where a player plays.

I've always held the view that if two parties agree, then that agreement can only be terminated if both parties say so. Nothing unusual about that. Turner could ask for a release, no worries about that. But that release was not granted. Its my view that he should have stuck to his word. But he didn't and his word has now been tainted. And that's his problem.

For example, if Luke Bailey did a backflip on his agreement with the Titans, I'd be equally disappointed. But Bailey was always going to stick by the agreement and that is commendable. But it should be the norm. It is indeed unfortunate that we have to remind people what an agreement and a man's word is supposed to be worth something.

_Johnsy

Referee
I am amazed that storm fans cannot see that their club and turners conduct was less than admirable, even more amazing they wont/cant admit this.

lotti

Bench
what about the conduct of the Dragons, they did a simular thing to Melbourne signed a player that had an agreement with another club the only diference is that the Tigers let the player out of his agreement.

_Johnsy

Referee
lotti well post the link + info and I will have a squizz. The difference being if this HAS happened I would condemn the actions. Big difference

lotti

Bench
Rangi Chase joins Dragons
Written by: Wests Tigers Media
27/10/2006
Wests Tigers hooker Rangi Chase has agreed to terms with St George-Illawarra for the next two years.

Recruitment Manager Warren McDonnell said Chase had agreed to a contract with the Wests Tigers for 2007, but a change in manager saw an offer come in from St George-Illawarra.

"Our policy has always been about promoting young players. The hooking position at Wests Tigers is well covered in Robbie Farah and Stuart Flanagan, so Rangi has accepted a contract to be in the full-time squad for the next two years with St George-Illawarra with our blessing,'' McDonnell said.

"Rangi felt he had a better opportunity to play first grade at St George-Illawarra and if his mind was set on playing for them, then there was no point in us keeping an unhappy player at the club.''

Chase made his first grade debut for Wests Tigers against the Bulldogs in round 17 this season

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Not sure what you're talking about, or how it makes things better for whatever argument you're thinking of. And its a bit hard to tell what the relevance is. Perhaps you're looking for points in thinking two wrongs make a right.

But there have been many cases of contract disputes throughout the history of the game. I'm sure each one has it own story to tell. Perhaps you should start another thread about it.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
"Our policy has always been about promoting young players. The hooking position at Wests Tigers is well covered in Robbie Farah and Stuart Flanagan, so Rangi has accepted a contract to be in the full-time squad for the next two years with St George-Illawarra with our blessing,'' McDonnell said.
Sounds like WT granted Chase a release. So what?
Looks like everyone agreed with the transfer.

lotti

Bench
Gordon Tallis, he wanted to play for the Broncos but the Dragons wouldn't release him so he sat the year out.

_Johnsy

Referee
Lotti

The broncos main sponsor paid Gordie $150k to sit out the year, eith the club endorsing these actions. i know this as i heard it straight from the horses mouth, Gordie

_Johnsy

Referee
This is nothing like the melbourne - Titans fiasco. To suggest this is laughable and shows you really are clutching at straws.

El Diablo

Post Whore
the closest thing to this is when PJ Marsh had his manager sign a letter of intent to play for the Warriors thinking that he was unwanted by Parramatta. It turned out Parramatta did want to keep him but seeing his manager had signed the letter of intent he had to go to the Warriors.