What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steve Turner released, staying in Melbourne

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Turner released, Tanielu retires

Written by: Matt Starkey
January 15th, 2007 06:19 PM

image.php
The long running saga involving Melbourne Storm, Gold Coast Titans and winger Steve Turner has ended.

Capping what has been a big day for the new NRL franchise, Gold Coast has released the disgruntled back following a 6-month stand-off, allowing him to resume playing for the Storm in 2007.

Two Gold Coast juniors currently playing in Melbourne, Smith Samau and Daniel Isaac, as well as an undisclosed sum of money rumoured to be around $100,000, has settled one of the longest running feuds seen in the code for some time.

Not since Gorden Tallis’ decision to sit out the 1996 season after singing with Brisbane whilst still contracted to St George, has a player appeared prepared to stay on the sidelines for an entire year. Previously Terry Hill’s dispute between Wests and Easts in the early 90’s was another that came close to the same situation, with the former Australian centre opting to take his medicine and play for the Roosters even though he desired to be a Magpie.

This comes on top of the news today that Mat Rogers has officially signed for 2007 to play on the Gold Coast after securing a release from rugby union late last year.

In other news, rugby league farewells Robert Tanielu who today retired from the North Queensland Cowboys following a string of injuries serious injuries.

Tanielu, who played just nine first grade games in five seasons, was part of the “baby Broncos” outfit in 2002 that took on a full-strength Wests Tigers at Campbelltown Oval and prevailed 28-14 whilst most of the Broncos were on Origin duty.

http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=12637

Charlie124 said:
Titans won this battle well and truly. Melbourne keep a player they had last year while losing 2 juniors and $$$, Titans gain 2 juniors and $$$. Also shows that the Titans wont be bullied, they dictated the terms and let the storm squirm around for a while before accepting the deal.

If the Titans had no leg to stand on they would have been taken to court 2 months ago. Melbourne knew they were the ones with no leg to stand on which is why they didnt take the Titans to court.

Hope Turner breaks his leg in pre-season.

i wouldnt wish an injury on anyone ever,are u a titans fan if not why do u care so much :roll:

Charlie124

First Grade
joel caine number 1 fan said:
i wouldnt wish an injury on anyone ever,are u a titans fan if not why do u care so much :roll:

You and I are obviously different people then.

No, im not a Titans fan (although id like to see them succeed), i care because Turner has dragged the game through the mud and acted like a spoiled little girl over this whole situation.

Hoggy

Bench
Charlie124 said:

No, im not a Titans fan (although id like to see them succeed), i care because Turner has dragged the game through the mud and acted like a spoiled little girl over this whole situation.

Dragging the game through the mud could be more appropriate for the Fire up Bitch incident, the whole Super League debacle, or Craig Gower's antics last summer. Not a friggin contractual dispute.

Mr Saab

Referee
Charlie124 said:

Wow, if this is "mud" then i would hate to think what Hopoate 2001 would be!

This is a walk in the park!

You have really got no idea.

McCrud

Juniors
Charlie124 said:

Charlie - Your an idiot.

Mr Saab

Referee
Has it graced front page of every paper?
Has it been the lead story on ch7 ?

f**k..Hoppa made CNN...now that is media coverage.
This is a drop in the ocean.

Think before you type next time.

Willow said:
Turner released, Tanielu retires

Written by: Matt Starkey
January 15th, 2007 06:19 PM

http://www.leagueunlimited.com/image.php?imageid=1598 The long running saga involving Melbourne Storm, Gold Coast Titans and winger Steve Turner has ended.

Capping what has been a big day for the new NRL franchise, Gold Coast has released the disgruntled back following a 6-month stand-off, allowing him to resume playing for the Storm in 2007.

Two Gold Coast juniors currently playing in Melbourne, Smith Samau and Kevin Proctor, as well as an undisclosed sum of money, has settled one of the longest running feuds seen in the code for some time.

Not since Gorden Tallis’ decision to sit out the 1996 season after singing with Brisbane whilst still contracted to St George, has a player appeared prepared to stay on the sidelines for an entire year. Previously Terry Hill’s dispute between Wests and Easts in the early 90’s was another that came close to the same situation, with the former Australian centre opting to take his medicine and play for the Roosters even though he desired to be a Magpie.

This comes on top of the news today that Mat Rogers has officially signed for 2007 to play on the Gold Coast after securing a release from rugby union late last year.

In other news, rugby league farewells Robert Tanielu who today retired from the North Queensland Cowboys following a string of injuries serious injuries.

Tanielu, who played just nine first grade games in five seasons, was part of the “baby Broncos” outfit in 2002 that took on a full-strength Wests Tigers at Campbelltown Oval and prevailed 28-14 whilst most of the Broncos were on Origin duty.

http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=12637

The other article siad
Smith Samau and centre Daniel Isaac

girvie

Staff member
C.P said:
Storm will provide two contracted junior players to Gold Coast - fullback Smith Samau and centre Daniel Isaac - as well as financial compensation in return for allowing Turner to renege on the Titans deal.

So the Storm have kept Kevin Proctor.

Daniel Isaac played for Australian Schoolboys in 2005.

McCrud

Juniors
Mr Saab said:
Has it graced front page of every paper?
Has it been the lead story on ch7 ?

f**k..Hoppa made CNN...now that is media coverage.
This is a drop in the ocean.

Think before you type next time.

Why would he start now?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
UndertakerMike said:
The other article siad

Thanks for that. Just an oversight and it was fixed soon after. I was tad quick with the copy and paste.

Smith Samau and Daniel Isaac as reported.

Charlie124

First Grade
Why would it bother you so much if i didn't? its like you always (without fail) commenting on me posting in redbacks poll threads, I'm flattered that my mere presence is enough to get your panties in a bunch but really you should stop, its kind of creepy. Get a girl/boy friend.

Godz Illa

Coach
The great Steve Turncoat Turner Saga ends with a whimper. The Storm, all thunder and no lightning, lose two juniors and lovestruck Stevie boy drops $50K. The Tits smell like roses.

Charlie124

First Grade
Le KooK said:
Petty Turd + Inferiority Complex + Steve Turner Fiasco = Charlie's Time To Shine

is that it? :roll: :lol: :lol: why not just call me a doody head?

anyway......

does anyone know much about this Daniel Isaac besides being Aussie Schoolboys 2005? I heard there were huge wraps on Smith Samau but not much about the other bloke.

innsaneink

Referee
Charlie124 said:
Yeah....you really care about the game. :roll:

Charlie124 said:
Hope Turner breaks his leg in pre-season.
Keyboard hero.