What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steven Peter Devereux Smith - Best Test Batsman Since Bradman

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
^^^

Steve Smith shocked as he reclaims Aussie crown in big Allan Border Medal win
AUSTRALIA

jacob_polychronis.jpg

6b25cea7324bad01967818fdad005d61

Steve Smith has reclaimed the highest individual honour in Australian men’s cricket.Source: Supplied
Steve Smith has reclaimed the highest individual honour in Australian men’s cricket, winning his third Allan Border Medal on Saturday night having narrowly missed out last year.

The gun batsman hadn’t won the award since 2018 after David Warner edged him out by a single vote last year despite playing an Ashes series for the ages.

Now Smith has climbed back to the top of the pile after winning 126 votes – 12 more than the second-placed Pat Cummins, and 29 ahead of Aaron Finch in third. Marnus Labuschagne was fifth with 84 votes.

“I was a bit surprised,” Smith said about winning the AB Medal. “I don’t know, I didn’t feel like I had the biggest Test summer, which I think holds the most votes. I think my one-day cricket was pretty good last year, so I obviously got a lot of votes there.

“I didn’t expect it. I thought Marnus or Pat Cummins were probably the front runners because they both had exceptional years.

“I’m thrilled, plenty of hard work has gone into it.

“I’m just really honoured to have won my third and hopefully I can keep producing results for Australia and win as many games as we can.”

Smith made the most runs for Australia across all formats in the voting period with 1,098 at 45.75, including four half centuries and four tons.

Only Finch enjoyed a higher batting average (944 runs at 47.20), while only Smith and the Australian white ball captain surpassed 900 runs. Labuschagne was third on the list with 899 runs at 44.95.

Cummins was named Test Player of the Year, but was narrowly beaten to the Allan Border Medal after taking 41 wickets at 27.60 across all formats. Adam Zampa was second on the wicket-taking list with 38 at 23.60.

795826_640x360_large_20210205225916.jpg

Sthalekar inducted into Hall of Fame

0:59
Smith’s strongest format was in ODI cricket — he was also named men’s ODI Player of the Year for his 568 runs at 63.11 — which Australia featured in the most with 13 matches inside the voting period.

He started 2020 with a string of strong away ODI performances, making 98 and 131 in India followed by 76 in the first 50-over match against South Africa.

The 31-year-old then missed the ODI series against England later in the year, but consecutive centuries against India on home soil in November allowed Australia to win the 50-over series this summer.

One of Smith’s finest knocks, however, came in January as he broke a 16-month Test century drought by scoring 131 against India at the SCG.

Nonetheless, Smith only came fourth in the Test Player of the Year race, behind Cummins, Josh Hazlewood and last year’s winner, Labuschagne.

In T20 cricket, Smith featured nine times and was Australia’s second-highest scorer with 217 runs at 27.12.

THE ALLAN BORDER MEDAL VOTES

1 Steve Smith 126

2 Pat Cummins 114

3 Aaron Finch 97

4 Josh Hazlewood 91

5 Marnus Labuschagne 84

6 Adam Zampa 77

7 Ashton Agar 59

8 David Warner 56

9 Mitchell Starc 54

10 Glenn Maxwell 52

2021 AUSTRALIAN CRICKET AWARDS WINNERS

Allan Border Medal – Steve Smith

Belinda Clark Award – Beth Mooney

Men’s Test Player of the Year – Pat Cummins

Men’s ODI Player of the Year – Steve Smith

Women’s ODI Player of the Year - Rachael Haynes

Women’s T20 Player of the Year – Beth Mooney

Men’s T20I Player of the Year – Ashton Agar

Community Impact Award – Josh Lalor

Men’s Domestic Player of the Year – Shaun Marsh

Bradman Young Cricketer of the Year – Will Sutherland

Women’s Domestic Player of the Year – Elyse Vilanni

Betty Wilson Young Cricketer of the Year – Hannah Darlington

Australian Cricket Hall of Fame – Johnny Mullagh, Merv Hughes and Lisa Sthalekar

Meth

Staff member
Cummins has been robbed here. Smith is freakishly good, but this wasn't his year.

Pretty much entirely for ODI cricket, but yeah...it wasn't that long ago that everyone was lamenting that he was out of form and he was clarifying that he was 'not out of form, just out of runs'

Cummins and Hazelwood were better.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Bowlers are always going to struggle to win it because odi and 20/20 matches are so batting centric. To get any points in those games a bowler is going to have to do something phenomenal.

Throw in the fact that bowlers get rested for series and they're no chance

JJ

Immortal
Cummins should demand an investigation, or get Tooves to do it on his behalf

simmo1

First Grade
Cummins should have won this year, but Smith was robbed last year. An all time great Ashes performance, but Marnus won by plundering Muhammad Musa and Colin de Grandhomme.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Cummins should have won this year, but Smith was robbed last year. An all time great Ashes performance, but Marnus won by plundering Muhammad Musa and Colin de Grandhomme.

How could you forget the run, step and big jump of the winner Davey last year?

JJ

Immortal
Smithy on the decline.

I reckon he will finish with an average of around 56.

Ponting averaged 60 at one point then went down to 51.85. Didnt help punter he probably played 2 years too long. And they played more test cricket back then so more innings for average to drop.
they all end up playing too long these days - I think quite a few - Richards (https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/stats-analysis-viv-richards-472547 people forget how good he was imo), Ponting, Dravid, Kallis and others averaged close to 60 for a long time then drifted towards 50 - Smith's been (record wise) a little above them (which is astonishing tbh), but is human after all - and tbh his 'slump' (and theirs) is still better than most test players' careers