What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sticky and Hayne

Where does Sticky start Hayne since he supposedly he is the best 5/8 in the comp?

• Total voters

Eels Dude

Coach
Stuart's record suggests we will have a different half pairing every week

Why don't you let him have a go as opposed to dismissing him so early. I agree with you JT was the preferred option for me too, but you sound like you've an agenda against him.

yy_cheng

Coach
First time i saw something i liked in the structure.

Paulo to sandow to hayne to sio

Like 7 to 6 to 1 to support player

Paulo has added that missing option.

Dogs do this with a run around with a prop.

This is good because sandow is wider he can run or have hayne looming putting the defence in 2 minds

Gronk

Staff member
What I like about Hayne at 1 rather than 6 is that a 5/8 in the modern game seems to be allocated right or left with the 7 taking the other. Hayne is very effective both sides and playing fullback allows him to chime in at any part of the field.

A few times last night I was quietly excited about the future combinations of Hayne, Kelly, Sandow & Paulo.

Kearney (or was it Nolan or Arthurs ?) certainly has given us some hope with new boys Seff and Luke.

Stagger eel

Staff member
What I like about Hayne at 1 rather than 6 is that a 5/8 in the modern game seems to be allocated right or left with the 7 taking the other. Hayne is very effective both sides and playing fullback allows him to chime in at any part of the field.

A few times last night I was quietly excited about the future combinations of Hayne, Kelly, Sandow & Paulo.

Kearney (or was it Nolan or Arthurs ?) certainly has given us some hope with new boys Seff and Luke.

we would of been a better side with kell at 6 last night..

spartan2153

Juniors
Why don't you let him have a go as opposed to dismissing him so early. I agree with you JT was the preferred option for me too, but you sound like you've an agenda against him.

Just looking at his track record. I think our club is a joke. Wait a few weeks and interview all candidates even think outside the box like the bulldogs did. His last 5 year's of coaching says he is not who the papers make him out to be.

Do us a favour you acting like pou pou now in support of him.

leo9999

Juniors
current roster he should be picked as fullback, and have luke kelly at five eight, but if theirs good fullbacks available he could be moved to five eight. i think Sticky will try poach Coote and Jennings, and move hayne to five eight

Eels Dude

Coach
Just looking at his track record. I think our club is a joke. Wait a few weeks and interview all candidates even think outside the box like the bulldogs did. His last 5 year's of coaching says he is not who the papers make him out to be.

Do us a favour you acting like pou pou now in support of him.

I agree that should be the way to go. If we end up with Stuart though we can do a lot worse and we may just have to see how he goes. Please don't compare me to Poupou. Call me a merkin or any other insult but not that.

barney gumble

Juniors
I think even sticky has seen enough of Hayne at the 6 to realize he is better off in the 1.

Personally I don't care where he plays as long as he's on the field somewhere. I'm sick of seeing him watching from the stands.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
First time i saw something i liked in the structure.

Paulo to sandow to hayne to sio

Like 7 to 6 to 1 to support player

Paulo has added that missing option.

Dogs do this with a run around with a prop.

This is good because sandow is wider he can run or have hayne looming putting the defence in 2 minds

Paulo in the middle plays between the halves. He adds so much to our attack, I was surprised Kearney would camp him on one side of the field (by naming him in the six jersey). And obviously he didn't.

This is why Hindy can only really play prop when he and Paulo are on the field at the same time.

Wise Old Eel

Juniors
It will be fullback.

What I am about to say here is not a scoop or anything I have proof of, it is just something I have observed. I am of the opinion that Jarryd Hayne not only had lost faith in Stephen Kearney but was also aware of - even involved in - the decision to bring Ricky Stuart here as the next coach. Of course, if it happens not to be Stuart then I am talking out my 4rse!

In 2010 and again last season, Hayne was often a go-to man for the media when a positive spin on Stephen Kearney was required. This year, I can't remember one quote from Hayne stating he had complete faith in Kearney. He seemed (to me) to be down in the dumps - not only about the continual losing - but about things in general regarding the team environment.

Along comes Origin and suddenly Hayne comes alive and is talking up Ricky Stuart like he is the next messiah. Apart from the obvious Origin vibe, there was something else there I noted. A kind of confidence that things would be better soon (at the Eels). It was like Stuart took him aside and not only gave him a pep talk about how valued he was but also hinted to him that this is only the start of their relationship because he was coming to Parra to take over Kearney's job.

As I said, I have absolutely no proof of this being the way things went down and I am happy to cop any criticism to that effect but I watch people's body language carefully and try to read between the lines. We'll see, I guess.

Go the Eels!

WOE

i think jarryd has a bright future in front of him as a recruitment officer when he hangs up his boots
it seems like every time he plays rep footy he is scouting for players to bring to the eels

Avenger

Immortal
It will be fullback.

What I am about to say here is not a scoop or anything I have proof of, it is just something I have observed. I am of the opinion that Jarryd Hayne not only had lost faith in Stephen Kearney but was also aware of - even involved in - the decision to bring Ricky Stuart here as the next coach. Of course, if it happens not to be Stuart then I am talking out my 4rse!

In 2010 and again last season, Hayne was often a go-to man for the media when a positive spin on Stephen Kearney was required. This year, I can't remember one quote from Hayne stating he had complete faith in Kearney. He seemed (to me) to be down in the dumps - not only about the continual losing - but about things in general regarding the team environment.

Along comes Origin and suddenly Hayne comes alive and is talking up Ricky Stuart like he is the next messiah. Apart from the obvious Origin vibe, there was something else there I noted. A kind of confidence that things would be better soon (at the Eels). It was like Stuart took him aside and not only gave him a pep talk about how valued he was but also hinted to him that this is only the start of their relationship because he was coming to Parra to take over Kearney's job.

As I said, I have absolutely no proof of this being the way things went down and I am happy to cop any criticism to that effect but I watch people's body language carefully and try to read between the lines. We'll see, I guess.

Go the Eels!

WOE

Whenever Kearney spoke of the future not once did he mention Hayne. Not that I could remember anyway.

Fathead

Bench
Sticky has said that he is a 5/8 and that will be the position that he will be moved to as soon as sticky takes over the club. You can bet on it.Whether it will be a success or not remains to be seen but he will move to this position.
Mullaney or sio will take the fullback role.
Personally I reckon that if the experiment is not a success, he will move Hayne to centre but either way, his days of playing fullback are gone.
Look to bird and Pearce to be heavily linked to the eels in the coming weeks.

berts_moustache

Juniors
I don't care where Hayne plays as long as every time Parra has a set of six in the oppositions 30-metre zone that he gets his hands on the ball at first or second receiver three times in the set.

I got the impression that Kearney actually tried to wean the players off a reliance on Hayne when he first came in by reducing his involvement in each set. Just an impression mind you.

Noise

Coach
Would love to have Greg Bird.

Pearce is a just an expensive version of Jeff Robson

#givemesandowoverpearceanyday

oldmancraigy

Coach
we would of been a better side with kell at 6 last night..

He's a lot better "off the ball" than I expected.
Like seriously good at the organisational stuff.

Not particularly strong kicking/ running or passing. But not Robsonesque (simple awful) in those areas either.

We look to have a much better "shape" with Kelly on the field so far this year (small sample size aside)