What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

stop the origin madness

kooriguy

Juniors
stop the origin madness and confusion about players, hell take it to the international level as well, make it which country/state you were born in, clear cut no exceptions, then we would have inglis and pritchard nsw and the players that are upset by it.. well bad luck, unless they come from a nation not classed as a league country then they play for the first country they played league in.

_Johnsy

Referee
What if someone was born in UK, then moves here when 1 year old. He then lives at tugun (Gold Coast) until he is 15. moves to Grafton and starts playing RL stays in Grafton and playes first grade for grafton ay age 17, he qualifies for NSW. If the player moves here as a child from OS, it should be as per SOO eligibility rules. I do not see the confusion.

colonel_123

Juniors
kooriguy said:
stop the origin madness and confusion about players, hell take it to the international level as well, make it which country/state you were born in, clear cut no exceptions, then we would have inglis and pritchard nsw and the players that are upset by it.. well bad luck, unless they come from a nation not classed as a league country then they play for the first country they played league in.

My folks were born in the US and moved here when they were in their early 20s. They don't consider themselves Americans and our Australian citizens.

If my dad was to take up rugby league why should he be forced to play for a country (the US) he no longer considers himself a part of?

Nationality, culture and identity isn't just inherited from your place of birth. It's often a changed and constructed thing. It's why eligibility rules can never be so black and white as place of birth is the country (or state) you play for.

kooriguy

Juniors
oh cry me a river.. ok maybe just if they were born in england, aus or nz, and i also realise social identity changes but heritage does not.

ShadesOfTheSun

Juniors
Problem being that a sense of patriotism is usually a product of social identity and NOT heritage, and it is patrotism that informs the exact qualities we look for in representative players - passion and commitment. There is little point to basing qualification criteria on heritage if a player remains uninformed of his heritage. It is his upbringing that is important, not where he or his parents came from.

TooheysNew

Coach
oh cry me a river.. ok maybe just if they were born in england, aus or nz, and i also realise social identity changes but heritage does not.
Not everything is black and white...

Titanic

First Grade
Dilmah said:

Especially if you are in China - the rules should just be adhered to - Adrian Lam should never have been allowed to go back to play for PNG once he had played Origin - you can't have your cake and eat it too - unless your Willie Mason then you can have any bloody thing you want (just thought we haven't had anything about Willie recently).

badav

Bench
kooriguy said:
stop the origin madness and confusion about players, hell take it to the international level as well, make it which country/state you were born in, clear cut no exceptions,

This is a ridiculous idea and no sports have such elligibility rules (with good reason).

what a f**king idiot. would u really want inglis if he didnt even want to play for nsw? i know that id even want darren lockyer dropped from the qld side if he had any desire at all to play for nsw, inglis is a qlder, get over it, we are gonna win, stop whinging you sorry piece of sh*t.

fourplay

Juniors
What if you were born while your parents were holidaying in Mongolia.. does that mean u arnt allowed to play rep football until Mongolia gets a RL team ?

shaggy

Juniors
Dilmah said:

representitive eligibility is very black and white

for state of origin, a player has to play for the state where he played his first competitive league game from the age of 16 up, although special circumstances do exist, in that if a member of the warratahs who grew up in sydney & played all his footy for the warratahs but was singed by a queensland team, he'd be given special permission to play for nsw

as for rules regarding international players, it follows the same eligibility guidelines as soccer, cricket & union

as for adrian lam, he was given special permission to play for queensland in 95 due to a lack of eligible queenslanders (since all the superleague players couldn't play in 95) but this did not extend to australia, even though he was offered it

the case for hazem elmasri is lebanon is not a full test nation member, so he can switch
tonnie carroll was allowed to switch because up to 2000 his allegance was declard to new zealand and until the next world cup it is australia

brad thorn played league for australia under our eligibility rules, but under union's he played for new zealand

kooriguy

Juniors
pennywisealfie said:
what a f**king idiot. would u really want inglis if he didnt even want to play for nsw? i know that id even want darren lockyer dropped from the qld side if he had any desire at all to play for nsw, inglis is a qlder, get over it, we are gonna win, stop whinging you sorry piece of sh*t.
go play in traffic you heel, whats with the personal attack, im allowed my opinion, i struck a cord with you somewhere. :lol:

NK Arsenal

Juniors
Make it that if you aren't an Aussie citizen you can't play SOO and once you play for SOO you must not play for another country.

ShadesOfTheSun

Juniors
novacastrian_panther said:
Make it that if you aren't an Aussie citizen you can't play SOO and once you play for SOO you must not play for another country.
I frankly don't see why. Why can't a player grow up in Townsville and hate NSW as much as Queenslander but strongly identify with New Zealand as his place of birth? Why does being passionate about New South Wales necessitate a like passion for Australia? I grew up in New South Wales, and I love watching the Blues, but I'm really not all that interested in the fortunes of the Australian team because my entire extended family originated overseas, and I've never developed a passion for Australia or its culture.

I have plenty of friends who are easily as passionate about State of Origin as I am, yet get depressed for weeks when Australia beats the Kiwis. The current system waters down the international game by forcing people like them to pledge allegiance to the one or to the other, and for what purpose?

shaggy

Juniors
soo is based on where you play you're first competitive game from the age of 16 not place of birth

Surely

Post Whore
I agree with Koori, its called "state of origin", not "state of where you first played football when you were over the age of sixteen"

If we can't have that then maybe we can have "state of where you first played football fullstop".

So is it SOO, SOWYFPFWYWOTAOS or SOWYFPFF

Shadow Man

Juniors
If the NRL are serious about expanding the game into other countries they have to seriously consider changing the farce that is the eligibility rules for SOO and international football. How can minority countries seriously challenge Australia when Australia recruit their best players?
Just ask Samoa and Tonga who could probably claim a number of top line NRL players as their own. But despite this they choose to ignore their countries call so they can eventually play for the Kangaroos!
Players like Karmichael Hunt, Brad Thorn and Tonie carrol playing for Qld, Hazem El Mazri and co playing for NSW are ruining the chance for the game to expand.
Next years world cup is going to be a complete farce!

Nook

Bench
Just ask Samoa and Tonga who could probably claim a number of top line NRL players as their own. But despite this they choose to ignore their countries call so they can eventually play for the Kangaroos!

Bull.

How many guys born in Tonga or Samoa have played for the Kangaroos (or in SOO) in recent times? Or, ever?

I can think of one.

Samoa and Tonga could not claim "a number of top line NRL players as their own" if there was a nation-of-birth rule. They could claim a handful, at best.

mxlegend99

Referee
It's State of Origin. I's going to be impossible to have rules and exclusions that work for everyone in every scenario. Definitely.

My opinion though:
You should play for the state you were born in, or atleast grew up in (as a baby, not an adolescent). You shouldn't be able to just pick which state you want... it just defeats the purpose of the competition IMO.

I also feel that players shouldn't be tied to Australia if they play Origin. A Kiwi born in NSW or QLD could definitely feel an alliegance to his state, but still want to represent his heritage.

Just my opinion. I think Origin would be much better if it was based on where you were born, as the name of it suggests.

Latest posts