What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storm 09/12?

oldmancraigy

Coach
Players who won a "legal" premiership last night, and who were assembled illegally (ie, joined the Storm in 2009 or before)

1. Slater
3. Nielsen
4. Chambers
5. O'Neill
6. Widdop
7. Cronk
8. Bromwich
9. Smith
11. Proctor
12. Hoffman

14. Manu
15. Hinchcliffe

So I'm thinking that's an asterisk premiership. Feel free to accuse me of sour grapes (yes, it would be partly true) - but if you do so, PUHLEASE first try and explain how they actually got penalised for their cheating methods of assembling a gun squad?

Provided they are actually operating under the cap now (and it took 5-6 years for the auditor to bust them last time) then I'm thinking the only way we can possibly view them as a legal team is when they no longer have players assembled 2009 or before.

The plus side of them winning is that it's good for the game overall!

Noise

Coach
Yep the formula for winning a premiership is get caught cheating then add 2 years:

Bulldogs caught in 02 and won in 04
Storm caught 2010 won in 2012

oldmancraigy

Coach
Eels caught 2013 won in 2015?

We still have time to rort the cap for next year, lets get on with it please????

Parraren

Bench
Eels caught 2013 won in 2015?

We still have time to rort the cap for next year, lets get on with it please????

I was about to start a thread similar to this.

We need to rort the cap and build our own "big 3".

This is the blueprint for Parra...

Sign Farah & Thurston for 2014 & extend Hayne's contract all $1m+ contracts or thereabouts. Mix in Bird, Tamou, Folau, maybe Jennings.

50/50 chance if we even get busted anyway.

If we get busted keep the big 3, replace the rest.

Worst case, win the comp 2 years later.

Players who won a "legal" premiership last night, and who were assembled illegally (ie, joined the Storm in 2009 or before)

1. Slater
3. Nielsen
4. Chambers
5. O'Neill
6. Widdop
7. Cronk
8. Bromwich
9. Smith
11. Proctor
12. Hoffman

14. Manu
15. Hinchcliffe

So I'm thinking that's an asterisk premiership. Feel free to accuse me of sour grapes (yes, it would be partly true) - but if you do so, PUHLEASE first try and explain how they actually got penalised for their cheating methods of assembling a gun squad?

Provided they are actually operating under the cap now (and it took 5-6 years for the auditor to bust them last time) then I'm thinking the only way we can possibly view them as a legal team is when they no longer have players assembled 2009 or before.

The plus side of them winning is that it's good for the game overall!

Chambers and Hoffman left Melbourne and came back in (apparently) post-cheating era, so they weren't really assembled pre-2009.

Short of chucking them out of the NRL (and I wouldn't care if they did), what other additional punishment could you dish out? They can't have a zero salary cap, so they're are always going to have some players. And you can't have them playing for zero points for ever. What pisses me off more about Melbourne (now) is all the great things they've introduced to the game...the crusher tackle, the chicken wing, the grapple tackle, the white, the beige, the......

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Whilever the 3 big cheats continue to play for them they will still be gaining an unfair advantage over the rest of the comp. After years recieving more than they should have they will be happy to stay together for less. We get rorted out of a premiership by these arseholes shed players and pick up the spoon while these pricks go on to win a title. Seems fair to me.

strider

Post Whore
the NRL have no clue how to really punish teams who cheat the cap .... i think they just were naive when they went easy on the dogs - but i think they should have learnt a lesson and dealt with the storm harsher ... but no .... and this is the result

the AFL had one major case of cheating the cap - Carlton - and they f'n hammered them and it has taken about 10 years to get back and they are still not quite there

and all this talk about needing a successful team in melbourne for the league .... pfffft, it's rubbish .... league is still nothing in melbourne .... it's like AFL in sydney (only of less importance) - they will occaisionally win, they will get some support, but at the end of the day its just the poor cousin that will never really achieve alot .... the crap about tv rights baffles me - no one watches league in melbourne anyway

Last edited:

eels_fan

First Grade
sour grapes has to end someday

sure i hate them more than any team in the comp for what they cost us - but surely its time to move on now?

for your own sanity??

oldmancraigy

Coach
Chambers and Hoffman left Melbourne and came back in (apparently) post-cheating era, so they weren't really assembled pre-2009.

Short of chucking them out of the NRL (and I wouldn't care if they did), what other additional punishment could you dish out? They can't have a zero salary cap, so they're are always going to have some players. And you can't have them playing for zero points for ever. What pisses me off more about Melbourne (now) is all the great things they've introduced to the game...the crusher tackle, the chicken wing, the grapple tackle, the white, the beige, the......

Right - they left for one big year because SOMEONE had to go. Then suddenly they're back to shoot for premiership glory 1 year later.

Not suss at all - and you can't tell me they would've taken just the 1 year sabbatical had they not been assembled illegally in the first place?

The punishment could've meted the crime - ie, they could've FORCED the Storm not to alter player payments, force them to pay whatever the dodgy contracts said. Reduce their cap by the amount they were over by, and they would have to choose which players to cut. Those players would still be paid by the Storm, but play for other clubs.
It's not overly harsh considering they screwed the entire comp through their actions, and is a punishment that can be applied to a team $1 over the cap or $1m over the cap (ie, it's consistent).

Instead the NRL chose the same soft approach they did with the Dogs.... learned nothing it appears!

oldmancraigy

Coach

sure i hate them more than any team in the comp for what they cost us - but surely its time to move on now?

for your own sanity??

I'll move on when they're legal. I don't see the problem in reminding people that they're still prospering from their cheating. Why are you so keen to move on when the Storm hasn't yet???

COACH STERLING

Juniors
The only way a salary cap can work is to have an independent authority value players. For example, at he beginning of each year Cronk, Slater & Smith would be valued based on last years performance.Next season each of these players would start off on $800k seeing that they are the current premiership holders, won SOO & made test selection. This would mean the storm only have $2m to spend on assembling the remaining 20 odd players. A transfer window would have to be set up so trading can happen prior to the trials kicking off. Anyway, the whole salary cap is bullsh$t for the very reason that my example above cannot have 20 to 25 players on the remaining $2m. The storm continually have the best 3 players in the game whilst clubs like Parra cannot even keep 2nd tier premium players like Mateo, Inu or TRex who wher all local juniors. Great system NRL.

Parra Pride

Referee

for your own sanity??

The only way I was ever going to get over it was by seeing Smith, Slater and Cronk retire without premierships.

#MelbourneCanEternallyGetf**kedNow

strider

Post Whore
i don't know about anyone else ... but its more than just the cap rorting for me .... the pricks have been cheating with all their dirty tactics for years AND denying they train to do it - ripping arms out of sockets, choking, twisting every f'n limb they can get hold of, putting knees in ..... and to have the hide to deny you set out to do it is just ridiculous ..... of course I won't believe any of those smug pricks when they then deny any knowledge of cap cheating.

they are cheating pricks and it will be quite a while before I feel otherwise .... if i am carrying a chip or whatever then so be it

Latest posts