What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storm 09/12?

The punishment could've meted the crime - ie, they could've FORCED the Storm not to alter player payments, force them to pay whatever the dodgy contracts said. Reduce their cap by the amount they were over by, and they would have to choose which players to cut. Those players would still be paid by the Storm, but play for other clubs.
It's not overly harsh considering they screwed the entire comp through their actions, and is a punishment that can be applied to a team $1 over the cap or $1m over the cap (ie, it's consistent).

Look, they piss me off too (as stated above), but it doesn't make me feel any better to be perpetually griping about what other teams do. I think the idea of forcing them to run on a reduced salary cap is fair enough. One of the constraints that the NRL face in dealing with these cases is that their punishment has to be consistent with Australian contract / competition / industrial relations laws. For those players who it can reasonably be shown knew that something was crook you might get away with directing them to play elsewhere (but I doubt it). For the other (non-superstar) players, their contract is to play with Melbourne (or their feeder clubs etc). As I understand a standard NRL contract, the players would have every right to refuse to play for another NRL club, even if directed to do so by Melbourne. And the obvious incentive problems that would occur when the 'other' club played against Melbourne (or wherever losing would benefit Melbourne) make this solution very difficult to see working well.

Kornstar

Coach
So much butthurt in here

Sure is, why do you care? We went with a team cheating the cap by a million dollars and lost a grand final to them! The refs let them grapple us out of the game and made us play touch football when they had the ball.......all while they were cheating!

In hindsight, although I would never want a Stephen Bradbury premiership, our boys could hold their heads up high to be that close to a team cheating by that much!

Our greatest player of the modern era had a legitimate chance of a premiership taken off him by not only a team that was cheating BUT the grubbiest team to ever play the game with all the shit they dish out in tackles, which for some reason the refs turn a blind eye to it........

I watch all 8 games weekly and it is hard to watch any Melbourne game because you can see the opposition get fed up with their shit in the tackles and the ruck just becomes a mess! Again they wrestle, the opposition defends like it is touch football, the refs make sure of it by giving Melbourne "convenient" leg up penalties when the opposition dares try and tackle them......

So yeah, butthurt, but why would you care? This is a Parramatta Eels forum, happy to argue with my fellow supporters but not some troll!

eels81236

Bench
each one of those clubs you mentioned have a take no prisoners merkin ellement to their squad...we need to instill a squad of bad boys..who can take no shit from grubs like Watmough, Kasiano and Crocker..

I agree 100%. The key is to get guys with merkin elements to them but not total merkins. At least 2 of the 3 guys you mention were borderline total merkin. It's not an accident that the two guys coaching in the GF were able to get the best out of them.

Kornstar

Coach
Its football. They didnt rape your mothers. Hindmarsh will be fine. Hes most likely over it, you should be too.

I care because I find it funny. Cry more.

Oh well, guess you will get a lot more laughs cause I for one will never let this go.......

Maroubra Eel

Coach
I don't care what any Johnny come lately Storm fan thinks. The fact is they wouldn't have their 3 superstars if they hadn't cheated.

lingard

Coach
Chambers and Hoffman left Melbourne and came back in (apparently) post-cheating era, so they weren't really assembled pre-2009.

Short of chucking them out of the NRL (and I wouldn't care if they did), what other additional punishment could you dish out? They can't have a zero salary cap, so they're are always going to have some players. And you can't have them playing for zero points for ever. What pisses me off more about Melbourne (now) is all the great things they've introduced to the game...the crusher tackle, the chicken wing, the grapple tackle, the white, the beige, the......

............ and those f**king purple jerseys!

IFR33K

Coach
I don't care what any Johnny come lately Storm fan thinks. The fact is they wouldn't have their 3 superstars if they hadn't cheated.

There is no guarantee Melbourne would of let slater, Cronk and smith go.

Yes they potentially cheated us out of a premiership, and now are abiding by nrl rules. Time to let it go IMO.

They are a damn good team to watch though.

jk13

First Grade
Why do jerkins come onto our forum and tell us what to think. Baffles me all the time, very close to the definition of full genius.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
There is no guarantee Melbourne would of let slater, Cronk and smith go.

Yes they potentially cheated us out of a premiership, and now are abiding by nrl rules. Time to let it go IMO.

They are a damn good team to watch though.

There's no way they would have been able to keep those together.

I won't let it go until every player involved with the cheating is gone.

eels81236

Bench
Why do jerkins come onto our forum and tell us what to think. Baffles me all the time, very close to the definition of full genius.

No. It is nothing like the definition of genius . Unless viewed through the eyes of the ignorant.

bartman

Immortal
So I'm thinking that's an asterisk premiership.
Me too. 12 of a GF squad of 17 from the illegal assembly years - definite asterisk imo.

Just as much as the Dogs win in 2004 after being busted illegal assembly in 2002. Both comp wins were too soon not to be tainted.

Oh well, off season now! :crazy:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So much butthurt in here

Sydney clubs have to go through strong preiods followed by rebuilding years. During our last strong period '06-'09 we were knocked out of the finals three times by the cheating Storm, robbing Hindmarsh and Cayless of a premiership.

You'd be butthurt too.

jk13

First Grade
Ignorant? Really? Maybe we should merge the storm and eel forums and create a dandy good time

Bazal

Post Whore
2012 Premiers Baby!! Can't take this one off us! Enjoy the wooden spoon Eels!

The spoon hurt for a week. I'd rather that than have my side caught deliberately and willfully cheating. There are some good Storm fans around, and I'm happy for them...but f**kwits like you are the reason so many people still do, and will always, hate your filthy club.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The spoon hurt for a week.

This.

Every year someone wins the spoon and every year someone else are premiers. It's no big deal.

Far less common is being caught cheating. This is what the current Melbourne Storm team will always be remembered for.

Eelementary

Post Whore
To be honest, I don't understand the sour grapes attitude here. Whether one agrees or not with the sanctions imposed upon the Storm by the NRL (and for the record, I don't, as I feel the NRL was too lenient), the fact is the Storm did as they were told and paid the penalties as handed to them. Their Premiership in 2012 is as good as anyone else's in my opinion.

As for the spoon, we could win a thousand consecutive spoons, and I'll still be here cheering for my club like a fool - because the Eels are, and always will be, my team.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
All i see is 2012 premiers Melbourne Storm on every tv, paper, website, forum and its all anyone is talking about!!

The grand final was yesterday.

A week after last year's grand final and nobody even remembered Manly were premiers - all the talk was about Hopoate and Hasler leaving.

Give it a month and Melbourne will go back to being famous for cheating. As for the spoon, nobody remembers who won it two years ago. Most people don't remember who won it last year.

But people will remember forever that the Melbourne Storm cheated the salary cap, just like we still remember the Dogs cheated in 2002. Who were premiers that year? Who lost the grand final? Who won the spoon? Not so easy to remember back that far is it? But everyone remembers the Dogs cheated.

Just like they will always remember the Storm for their dishonesty.

Latest posts