What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storm 3 2 1s

Valheru

Coach
Tough day at the office.

As mentioned in the gameday thread, it was a repeat of round 1 as we gave ourselves absolutely no chance to win the game. There were points ti be scored against Melbourne and we made yardage pretty well but never held the ball long enough to apply pressure.

I'm a glass half full guy so the positive is defence which I thought stood up very well despite the overwhelming possession and field position against us. The team kept working for each other in defence which is a really good sign.

The radley sin binning.... contact wasn't that bad but it was late and completely unnecessary. He just needs to be better and not put himself in a position to be binned. I won't say it cost us the game as Melbourne are a quality outfit but it was ertsinly the start of a spiral we never recovered from.

All in all a loss in Melbourne is no reason to be too upset especially since most of the issue was ourselves. This is why the 8 points we have already accumulated is so important. Plenty to work on and on to next week.

Sharks, dragons and warriors next 3. Win 2 and we are right on track.

3 manu
2 topou
1 Paulo

Have to give all my points to the back 3 as I thought they tried hard all game and made lots of metres when the ball was held on to.

Hard game to judge as we had bugger all ball. We suffer the dropsies on the best of days and the team doesn’t compensate for poor weather but that’s how this club rolls. We’re just not a wet weather footy side. I thought Storm were gonna put a score on us for a time but the guys defended brilliantly under the circumstances so there’s a massive plus for me. Think most of their points came on our right edge so some homework required there. I thought the sin bin was a bit harsh. Not high nor hard, just late and you know that’s not gonna treated consistently throughout the year. Rads has had a target on his back for a while and should know better. He really let the team down there. He copped few lectures off Robbo the past couple of years so don’t know if he has anything left to tell him.

@Velheru, I thought the turnaround came when Toops dropped the ball giving Storm possession deep in our half and scoring in that set. Just got bad feelings from there.

Anyway, disappointing night but not the end of the world.

3. Manu
2. Collins
1. Keary

Valheru

Coach
Hard game to judge as we had bugger all ball. We suffer the dropsies on the best of days and the team doesn’t compensate for poor weather but that’s how this club rolls. We’re just not a wet weather footy side. I thought Storm were gonna put a score on us for a time but the guys defended brilliantly under the circumstances so there’s a massive plus for me. Think most of their points came on our right edge so some homework required there. I thought the sin bin was a bit harsh. Not high nor hard, just late and you know that’s not gonna treated consistently throughout the year. Rads has had a target on his back for a while and should know better. He really let the team down there. He copped few lectures off Robbo the past couple of years so don’t know if he has anything left to tell him.

@Velheru, I thought the turnaround came when Toops dropped the ball giving Storm possession deep in our half and scoring in that set. Just got bad feelings from there.

Anyway, disappointing night but not the end of the world.

3. Manu
2. Collins
1. Keary

Yeah it was a poor mistake by Toops and he just needs to be better but the team is entitled to not follow that up with 60 minutes of mistakes. Errors will happen and we need to be way better at dealing with them than we have in our 2 losses. We absolutely win round 1 if we halve our errors from the 30 minute mark onward. You need everything to go right in Melbourne so may not have won even if ball control was better but we never gave ourselves a chance. I do wonder if in these situations where we seem to pile on mistakes, the halves should consider kicking on tackle 2 or 3 just to get to the other end and in a bit of a rhythm. Freddie used to do it quite often.

On the Radley binning, yes I agree the contact wasn't high and it was soft... Would Sam Walker have got binned for the same thing? Possibly not. However, it was late and Victor needs to understand that hitting someone late gives the ref the opportunity to use the bin. He just didn't need to do it. He just needs to be better and both Robbo and himself said as much over the weekend. It was just so disappointing because to that point we were in the trenches with the Storm. Would we have won if he didn't get binned? Who knows.... did the binning greatly diminish our chances of winning... absolutely.