What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

storm and fans playing the victims............

taxidriver

Coach
i saw this part, is it wrong?

The Sunday Telegraph last night learnt of the widespread largesse that was sprayed on the club's elite players by the club, over and above the "official" contracts lodged with the NRL.
One senior Kangaroo and Origin star had an official $400,000 contract lodged with the NRL, but also had a $550,000 secret second letter of agreement, details of which were handed over by dumped acting CEO Matt Hanson at his home on Friday.
The player's second deal contained a $20,000 gift voucher for a big national electrical and furniture retailer and a $30,000 boat, which The Sunday Telegraph has seen parked in his undercover garage.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...-salary-cap-rort/story-e6frewt0-1225857835965

again, not the point of this thread

Iafeta

Referee
The Storm 'fans' enjoyed success on the back of the most diabolical act of cheating imaginable.

Personally I do feel for the Melbourne Storm fans. So far I've only seen one on the forum outwardly say they are done which to me is a positive sign and hopefully shows the spine of the fan community down there. There are a lot of good people on these boards who do support Melbourne, kia ora storm and noa are two examples of that and when it all went down my first thought were to people like them who put their hearts into supporting the joint. Personally, I have always advocated for them to be in the competition in the various discussions prior to the cap rort because they bring a lot of sponsorship/TV rights revenues to the league that are critical to us.

But you raise a very good point. The comment going around from some fans is it's unfair on them. And to a degree it is, as of right now. But for 4-5 years down at Olympic Park they've been near invincible, and we now know a large reason behind it. A squad playing above the salary cap and not negotiating fairly in the market. It's a hard moment right now, but personally I've never felt the emotion of winning an NRL Premiership, they have had that experience three times in their existence, twice we now know they otherwise might not have got. For me, as a Warriors fan, I was over the moon winning the Minor Premiership in 2002, I thought that was just wicked and I was so proud of us getting to the Grand Final that year, I can't begin to imagine the euphora a fan must feel when they get a Premiership and the buzz they must be on for I'm guessing a couple of weeks if not the entire off season. They've had that experience, so they definitely have benefited from the outrageous executive manipulation.

taxidriver

Coach
Personally I do feel for the Melbourne Storm fans. So far I've only seen one on the forum outwardly say they are done which to me is a positive sign and hopefully shows the spine of the fan community down there. There are a lot of good people on these boards who do support Melbourne, kia ora storm and noa are two examples of that and when it all went down my first thought were to people like them who put their hearts into supporting the joint. Personally, I have always advocated for them to be in the competition in the various discussions prior to the cap rort because they bring a lot of sponsorship/TV rights revenues to the league that are critical to us.

But you raise a very good point. The comment going around from some fans is it's unfair on them. And to a degree it is, as of right now. But for 4-5 years down at Olympic Park they've been near invincible, and we now know a large reason behind it. A squad playing above the salary cap and not negotiating fairly in the market. It's a hard moment right now, but personally I've never felt the emotion of winning an NRL Premiership, they have had that experience three times in their existence, twice we now know they otherwise might not have got. For me, as a Warriors fan, I was over the moon winning the Minor Premiership in 2002, I thought that was just wicked and I was so proud of us getting to the Grand Final that year, I can't begin to imagine the euphora a fan must feel when they get a Premiership and the buzz they must be on for I'm guessing a couple of weeks if not the entire off season. They've had that experience, so they definitely have benefited from the outrageous executive manipulation.

well said

Iafeta

Referee
Taxidriver..your tired rant is three days too late mate.

My position has been this from the first minute...have a crack, no issues.

All I want is club to follow next year.

I think most of the supporters of the league are with you on that one, mate. For blokes like you, I sincerely hope you do as well.

Chook Herron

Juniors
My disgust of the Storm's actions heavily outweigh any sympathy to their fans regardless of who was or wasn't involved or had knowledge. At the end of the day the club and their fans basked in the glory of success on the back of blatant cheating.

Noa

First Grade

Hard to argue.

The stupid thing is I believe not too much would have been different. last year title is very questionable, but if we dont re-sign Johnson, Turner & Lima when I didnt feel they were neccesary does that affect the team that much.

taxidriver

Coach
Hard to argue.

The stupid thing is I believe not too much would have been different. last year title is very questionable, but if we dont re-sign Johnson, Turner & Lima when I didnt feel they were neccesary does that affect the team that much.

not that easy you still need a squad of 25

what if the money was used to keep slater, inglis, smoth, cronk etc happy and stop them going?

pantherz9103

First Grade
imo taxidriver is a bitter twisted merkin still bitter about 1999. I agree that Storm fans should not be attacking other clubs/fans but they have a right to feel upset as they didn't know about these breaches.

taxidriver

Coach
imo taxidriver is a bitter twisted merkin still bitter about 1999. I agree that Storm fans should not be attacking other clubs/fans but they have a right to feel upset as they didn't know about these breaches.

imo your a pre pubescent child who doesnt know what to think till someone tell him to

Ulysseus

Bench

Sigh
Mate, you'd be hard pressed to find a Saints fan that doesn't still harbor some ill intent from 1999, not so much with the opposing team, but Bill Harrigan's performance from that day, and the fact that 2 out of 3 ref panel wanted Steven Clark but Whittaker overruled them with a "casting vote", do you need a casting vote at 2 to 1?, to appoint Harrigan who then delivered a 5 out of 10 performance (RLW, GF issues 1999) and let the refereeing errors favor Melbourne to the tune of 13 to 2.

pantherz9103

First Grade
imo your a pre pubescent child who doesnt know what to think till someone tell him to

Wrong. Just don't bother waste my time posting my 'agenda' non stop on a forum and boring everyone to tears like you.

The Storm being stripped of titles and the right to play for points must have been the highlight of your life :lol:

Ulysseus

Bench
the Storm fans are the victims...they didn't cheat

Agree with you Mr Kungl.
BUT, it does make the ones who stood there arguing till they were red in the face every time someone raised the point that it looked a bit strange they were able to retain so much and bid so readily on anything that became available just a tiny bit stupid, considering that while every man and his dog could not prove that something was awry, it was dam near obvious to fans of other clubs who had watched so much talent ushered out the door in the name of the cap that was something was just not quiet right.

gronkathon

First Grade
The fans are the victims no doubt but they are a victim or their own club not the NRL.

This is not a time for the"We know we won those premierships" talk. You didn't win them, you effectively stole them.

The sad thing is I think they would have come close without the need to cheat

Ulysseus

Bench

Oh f**k yeah, maybe even all the way regardless.
BUT, its like Marion Jones, here victory margins suggested she didn't need to be doped up, but what has been done has been done and, regrettably, cannot be undone.

The fans are the victims no doubt but they are a victim or their own club not the NRL.

This is not a time for the"We know we won those premierships" talk. You didn't win them, you effectively stole them.

I feel for the fans the most. I would be devestated if this happened to my side.

However the players, whilst I have some symphanty for some of them, read this story about the top liners;

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,27034980-5018866,00.html

cupid

Juniors
What makes me filthy is that no one from Melbourne, nor management, nor player, nor fan has ever apoligised for f**king up the last five years of NRL history, but they still expect us to feel sorry for them.

mickdo

Coach
What makes me filthy is that no one from Melbourne, nor management, nor player, nor fan has ever apoligised for f**king up the last five years of NRL history, but they still expect us to feel sorry for them.

It took a while for the Dogs to apologise IIRC

Latest posts