What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storm brews as Knights kidnap rising star.

Stormin Norman

Juniors
Unfortunately that 15 year old came from Melbourne
if it was from qld or n e where else in the country i dont think many ppl would have a problam but it is from melb we cant even get a start.
I don't think the loss of one junior is going to hurt Melbourne in the scheme of things
i do well at least untill we get just 1 though the system.

there is a deprate need for and overhaul of the system zones need to be introduces or even a draft to keep players from being poached left right and centre. no player can play for a club outside the zone untill they are over 18 or have been released by the club zoning the area.

Johns Magic

Referee
Stormin Norman said:
Unfortunately that 15 year old came from Melbourne
if it was from qld or n e where else in the country i dont think many ppl would have a problam but it is from melb we cant even get a start.
I don't think the loss of one junior is going to hurt Melbourne in the scheme of things
i do well at least untill we get just 1 though the system.

there is a deprate need for and overhaul of the system zones need to be introduces or even a draft to keep players from being poached left right and centre. no player can play for a club outside the zone untill they are over 18 or have been released by the club zoning the area.

But if you look at it we poached that guy from a Melbourne carnival. Carnivals involve lots of teams, with lots of players. I doubt that Beau Ryan is the only one of those kids who will play First-Grade. If he does make First-Grade.

I wish we had poached a junior from another area outside of Victoria. But unfortunately it did come from Melbourne and nothing will change that.

KimmorleyKiller

Juniors
Quote:

Of all the NRL clubs, the Melbourne Storm have had to work the hardest when it comes to grass roots development.

That's why, when some of Victoria's rising stars were courted by Newcastle at the under-15's Aust, Schoolboys tournament last month, they were understandably upset.

Storm recruitment manager Peter O'Sullivan slammed the Hunter-based club afterhearing promising 15 year old fullback Beau Ryan had signed a scholarship deal with the Knights.

"They have the greatest heartland of rugby league in their own backyard and they come and throw scholarships at kids from Victoria"

"Its ridiculous to say the least. They've recruited from the Northern Territory and Western Australia and now they're trying to recruit from Victoria when they have the best kids in the country running around in the Hunter region".

More available in Big League.

LOL i played against that very side before the tigers V storm clash at olympic!!
i felt sort of dirty tackleing them been a storm supporter and all but the cheerleaders cheered me up with a hug

:p i love you bella :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't think we should be worried about anything here. A Victorian junior who obviously has talent has been given a Knights scholarship to further his skills and maybe play with the club one day. I'm all for it. It shows that interstate teams are starting to recognize that we have people who have potential to make it in the NRL. Victorian talent in the NRL!

Peter O'Sullivan has every right to be angry at the Knights. It's his job to recruit young kids for the Storm, and if he wasn't upset about them picking up our juniors he'll be out of a job! The fact that what little talents we have are just starting to show up and being picked up by other clubs isn't much of a concern for me. What's important is the recognition and publicity they receive.

So he has a Knights scholarship. It's their money being spent on developing our junior. We still don't know if the kid is gonna stay with the Knights. They may get first dibs on his signature one day but who knows???

The Tigers had Ryan Hoffman going up their ranks until he decided he liked our offer better. I'm sure there are people still dirty about it either towards him, our club, us supporters, or the whole kit and caboodle. The whole point is, with the current system in place, it doesn't matter who we got in our system until the day they sign their NRL contract. For all we know, he may play with the Broncos on his 1st grade debut!

Going by the Storm's magazine, they already have a local junior in their ranks by the name of Thomas Poteo. This Melbourne boy travelled to england with the rest of AIS rugby league team with four other Storm contracted hopefuls from Queensland and NSW. They were there for a four game tour against various GB Academy teams.

There was supposed to be one other from Melbourne in the team but he was forced to stay put due to a hand injury. Remember that boy who made the Herald Sun pages for saving his nephew/niece/whatever out of a burning house? He was set to go to England until tragedy struck.

The point is, a Victorian kid has been recognized for his talents and he now has more chance than ever of playing in the NRL. It's great for him, great for his current club, and great for the state!

Razor

Coach
u didn't "give" us n e thing we signed kimmorley from the defunct hunter mariners hill came wit the coach from the bulldogs and howe from eng and orford as a free agent

And where did the Mariners get Kimmorley from?
And where did Perth get Howe from?

Answer is Knights to both.

Hill wasn't with the Knights at all. He was signed by the Mariners from the Bulldogs.

bartman

Immortal
next knights half said:
how cann eels supporters bag the knights for signing plaers from somewhere else here is you strongest sude for next year

2.peterson knights (actually from Perth/Western Reds)8.cayless kiwi (actually Wentworthvillle junior too, brother Jason has played for City)
13.wagon yours i think (actually St George I think)

dont know what your bench would be and myabe if you f*** did not buy half our junours we wouldnot buy vic players who cares any way name one other club that does not buy players

I haven't knocked Newcastle for chasing juniors (or this Vic lad), I've just been knocking the attitude/answer early on that all clubs poach from Newcastle and its not fair.

I agree with you that all clubs buy young players and develop them. Fact of football life these days. Every club looking for the edge.

~knights~

Juniors
:lol: :lol: :lol:

about time we got one back

and anyway whats with all the whinging.

He has a scholarship and he's only 15

That does NOT GUARANTEE he will be playing 1st grade for the knights :roll:

Now on to get Kirk reynoldson :D

:lol: :lol:

Anonymous

Juniors
You're so missing the point. THe point is the Knights fans shouldn't cry foul, the point ISN'T that the knights shouldn't sign anyone.

I think it's good news, with all due respect to the Storm, at THIS stage the knights will have better systems in place to develop a 15 year old (better standard of competition). It would have been better if they developed him after the age of 16 though, then we would have a real dilemna RE: origin selection.

Latest posts