What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storm brews as Knights kidnap rising star.

Dogs Of War

Coach
I have to agree with the Knights on this one, who was to say that the Storm was going to pick this bloke up on a contract anyway? It doesn't matter who picks him up, as long as more and more Vic juniors are coming through the system. Once a few crack it, more will come.

bartman

Immortal
Johns Magic said:
Perhaps. But we are not serial offenders. We have still lost so much and gained so little.
:blahb: How many juniors would the contract of "3 games Joey" (@ $166K per game) have allowed Knights to keep - or even pinch back from other areas - if the club management hadn't bent over backward for the selfish egomaniac...

That was your club's choice to "gain so little" - so don't try and deflect blame onto other clubs just going about the same business in the best interests of their future team! Newie is a one team town with cheaper cost of living, and all of the recruitment advantages those two factors hold. ](*,)

rooster69

Juniors
Dogs Of War said:
It doesn't matter who picks him up, as long as more and more Vic juniors are coming through the system. Once a few crack it, more will come.

yeah discards from St Kilda or North Melbourne , Vic juniors making it just wont happen........ :roll:

Johns Magic

Referee
bartman said:
Johns Magic said:
Perhaps. But we are not serial offenders. We have still lost so much and gained so little.
:blahb: How many juniors would the contract of "3 games Joey" (@ $166K per game) have allowed Knights to keep - or even pinch back from other areas - if the club management hadn't bent over backward for the selfish egomaniac...

That was your club's choice to "gain so little" - so don't try and deflect blame onto other clubs just going about the same business in the best interests of their future team! Newie is a one team town with cheaper cost of living, and all of the recruitment advantages those two factors hold. ](*,)

You really are not understanding the point. Juniors do not come under the salary cap, so Johns had nothing to do with us losing juniors. The club just can't afford to give 16 year olds 20,000 a year. Other clubs can, and thus buy alot of their juniors. It has nothing to do with Johns whatsoever.

Go The Dolphins

Juniors
Johns Magic said:
It was posted in another topic that O'Davis ( obviously ), Buderus and Woolnough all came from outside the Knights junior area.

O'Davis moved to Newcastle when he was young apparently. Below the age of 10.

Buderus came to Newcastle as a 17 year old after previously being at the Dragons. I am not sure that we pinched him.

Woolnough is a local junior.
thats a lie because it that was true odavis would never had played origin for queensland. As he would have played his first senior football in nsw.
The problem for me here isnt that the knights stole a junior its that they stole one of melbourne who dont have a lot to start with.

reladith

Juniors
Why cant the Storm just f**k off and relocate to the Central Coast already. We wouldnt have to worry about this stuff.

bartman

Immortal
Johns Magic said:
You really are not understanding the point. Juniors do not come under the salary cap, so Johns had nothing to do with us losing juniors. .

Juniors don't come under the cap but you're talking of losing so many of these juniors... at the time they're becoming seniors, or thinking about it! Juniors have to work their way up, and if they can't see a worthwhile future ($$$) ahead for themselves in the top 25 in a few years time (cos a club spends heaps on stars, or recruits in too many outsiders over their heads), then they are gonna be open to offers to play Flegg etc somewhere else.

Johns Magic said:
The club just can't afford to give 16 year olds 20,000 a year. Other clubs can, and thus buy alot of their juniors. It has nothing to do with Johns whatsoever.
Then why can't the club afford it? Surely it must be down to Newie management not dishing out funds for the juniors, rather than being the fault of other clubs whose management makes that a priority.

Keeping juniors relates to club cultures, guys seeing they are valued and can be brought through. Any club risking that culture will lose more than it's share of promising juniors. My team Parra risks the same for sure. But, we realise the causes (salary cap, culture) and effects (that we can't keep 'em all), so we don't get upset when clubs "pinch" our guys.

The Colonel

Immortal
reladith said:
Why cant the Storm just f**k off and relocate to the Central Coast already. We wouldnt have to worry about this stuff.

Because Newcastle managment don't want them to take the money they earn from that region of supporters. ;-)

The Colonel

Immortal
Johns Magic said:
He played for NSW U19's in 1991.

Tallis, Tonga, PJ Marsh, Jonathan Thurston, Ben Ross, Chris Flannery among others have all played for NSW Residents or Under 17s or 19s - but they remain eligible for Qld.

Ben

Bench
Go The Dolphins said:
Johns Magic said:
It was posted in another topic that O'Davis ( obviously ), Buderus and Woolnough all came from outside the Knights junior area.

O'Davis moved to Newcastle when he was young apparently. Below the age of 10.

Buderus came to Newcastle as a 17 year old after previously being at the Dragons. I am not sure that we pinched him.

Woolnough is a local junior.
thats a lie because it that was true odavis would never had played origin for queensland. As he would have played his first senior football in nsw.
O'davis was born in sydney and then played some of his junior days in queensland and then came back down to newcastle

ucantseeme

Juniors
it is pretty low of the knights to go poaching juniors from a club that has so few, especially when Newcastle is supposedly a rugby league heartland

its like stealing a blanket off a homeless guy. he has so little but you want to take the few things he does have.

Sherriff of Nottingham: "Hope you don't mind if I raid your churches poor box Friar Tuck, good ole Prince John needs your taxes".

Sherriff of Newcastle: "Hope you don't mind if I raid your clubs juniors Bellamy, good ole Michael Hagan needs your players".

we dont have any juniors left to use as they have all been stolen from other clubs..

And why didnt melbourne show some initiative and offer him a scholarship first? Is it because their scouts are too busy in the qld and nsw comps?

FFS, I get sick of it bitching and carrying on!!!

It's is Great to see a Victorian sign into a Great club in the Knights!!! I am happy for Newcastle signing the great talent from Victoria!!!

I think it is Storm's loss but just think if Newcastle get sick of him, he can come home!!!!.

It is a Media Beat up

macavity

Referee
Get down off the high horses or you will get saddle sores guys..... :roll:

As a Knights fan I say WELL DONE FOR BLOODY SIGNING SOMEONE.

I wish it was a good player who would prevent us falling as far as we are likely to in coming years, but hey, a 15 year old is a start.

No supporters ANYWHERE can have a go at others over signing players. All clubs do it. Hell half the guys I played league with/against in Newcastle signed scholarships with clubs NOT the Knights. (a few made the grade...). I think you will find what bugs Knights supporters is how thoroughly our area is canvassed by scouts. At carnivals, finals etc of even u13-15s you have scouts from basically every club. They even try to get 'insiders' at some of the junior clubs. But hey, I guess everywhere is free game right...?

So back off hypocrites we should all just accept that it (unfortunately) happens. If everyone agreed to carve up juniors geographically, im sure the Knights would be very happy.....

Lets play happy.... Except we can all pick on the Roosters. :)

t-ba

Post Whore
rooster69 said:
yeah discards from St Kilda or North Melbourne , Vic juniors making it just wont happen........ :roll:

Not quite. Victorias junior base is mainly made up of Islanders and Kids From Northern Families, with a few Mexicans spliced in. That'd be like Saying Wayne Carey is a Wagga Brothers Reject...

DIEHARD

----
The Knights stole a kid from Victoria? If thats true he should be playing for the Storm they need Victorians badly.

Stormin Norman

Juniors
yeah its fair to say newcastle is a fair joke they have the best juniors and they have to poach. i spose they cant win a game wit out johns so poaching is there only way of getting back up to the top. seems pretty stupid they have chased a 15 y.o. from vic and they overlooked prob aus best under 18 outside back going around.

Latest posts