What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storm gives 7 players permission to leave, Knights want White

Melbourne Storm gives its stars permission to explore their options

By Brent Read and Dan Koch
June 26, 2010 Melbourne is vowing to hold on to its biggest names next season, but NSW prop Brett White and several of his teammates have been given permission by the Storm to explore options with rival clubs.
The Australian understands an email was sent to White's management recently informing him it would be in his "best interests" to test the market, even though the forensic investigation into the club's breaches of the salary cap is yet to be completed by accounting firm Deloitte.

Storm football manager Frank Ponissi confirmed White was one of several players to have received permission to gauge interest from rival clubs, although it is believed that right has not been granted to the club's "big four" -- Cameron Smith, Greg Inglis, Cooper Cronk and Billy Slater.

"A lot of player managers have asked us where their players stand," Ponissi said. "I am unable to answer that question for them.

"They're saying to me that they're getting clubs ring them about players. The player that you mentioned (White) is one with quite a bit of interest."

Deloitte is expected to complete its investigation next week and it has been speculated the Storm is as much as $1.2 million over the cap for next season.

Given it will do all in its power to retain its marquee stars, it is likely to mean the departure of the next tier of players, including White. Canberra and Newcastle are among the clubs to have expressed an interest in speaking to the Blues hardman.

"I have had half a dozen clubs ring up and make inquiries about him," White's manager Steve Gillis said. "I have told Melbourne that. All they have said is if you take it further keep us informed."

While White could be on his way out of Melbourne, St George Illawarra has taken another step towards re-signing Mark Gasnier by having a proposed contract approved by the NRL.

Barring any late mishaps, Gasnier will be back at Dragons training next week, and make his debut against Penrith next weekend. His return to St George Illawarra is likely to squeeze Queensland forward Neville Costigan out of the club, almost certainly to Newcastle.

The Knights' signing of Costigan follows confirmation North Queensland prop Antonio Kaufusi had secured an early release from the Cowboys and would link with the club for the remainder of the season.

Former Souths big man Manase Manuokafoa has also been granted a release by North Queensland coach Neil Henry, who is understood to be keen to use the new-found space on his roster to draft in talented, though troubled, Tigers pivot Arana Taumata.

Kaufusi has joined Newcastle and gives the Knights some much needed depth in the front row after the off-season departures of Chris Houston and Danny Wicks and the long-term injury to Evarn Tuimavave.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,27323894-23214,00.html

Looks like we are keen on White, know most people aren't a fan of him at all, but good to see we are looking at rep quality players in Costigan and White.

Last edited:

macavity

Referee
just because they have played rep doesn't mean they are 'rep quality'

case in point: Kaufusi.

Still, wouldn't say no to either - as long as we weren't breaking the bank to do it.

"I have had half a dozen clubs ring up and make inquiries about him," White's manager Steve Gillis said. "I have told Melbourne that. All they have said is if you take it further keep us informed."
LOL @ this as well, good to see how serious the embargo was.

RHCP

Bench
Brett White could be a good signing imo. Shame we couldn't have got Tolman.

Last edited:
just because they have played rep doesn't mean they are 'rep quality'

case in point: Kaufusi.

Still, wouldn't say no to either - as long as we weren't breaking the bank to do it.

Obviously RE Antonio Macca.

But mate they are rep quality because selector's think so and they are playing rep its yours(and mine for White) that they are not.

And Macca if we get any of the storm forwards it wont be for less then $500k for someone like White unfortunately. And thats prices we will have to pay or were going to be left with our hand on our c**ks.

Johns Magic

Referee
I wouldn't offer White too much, but it sounds like we now have a policy of signing the duddiest rep players around and calling them 'rep stars'.

If you'd told me we were signing three rep players I'd be over the moon.

If you'd asked me to name three rep players I'd want least, Kaufusi, White and Costigan would be some of the first that came to mind.

RHCP

Bench
Who are the seven i wonder
I'd say it'll probably be made up of outside backs, seeing as they've lost a lot of muscle up front all ready. Anthony Quinn and Luke MacDougall haven't got a lot of game time this year and Duffie/O'Neill seem like better options then them in the few games they've played.

Johns Magic said:
I wouldn't offer White too much, but it sounds like we now have a policy of signing the duddiest rep players around and calling them 'rep stars'.

If you'd told me we were signing three rep players I'd be over the moon.

If you'd asked me to name three rep players I'd want least, Kaufusi, White and Costigan would be some of the first that came to mind.
I see what you're saying, but hopefully having more of these 'rep stars' in our team will help us attract some quality first graders next season despite our inexperienced coach and without paying overs.

Burwood

Bench
A problem is that any player from Melbourne that has been on the receiving end of topped-up contracts is going to have an over-inflated contract value on themselves. Their "market-value" isn't true because it isn't what other clubs would have been willing to pay for their services.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Just a point of interest, if you get Whitey, you'll have the Storms front row rotation from the 06 GF & the starting props from 07. Now, I know Boxhead is 32 in December and Whitey is nudging 29, but just food for thought.

Nuffy

Bench
I'd say the Knights are planning to swap Cross for White.

I would like to see them sign a class outside back but these are getting rarer the longer time goes on.

I won't be surprised if we re-sign Anthony Quinn and you know what, he'd be a handy pickup.

Dont mind Quinn to be honest with you, was a decent ball runner and solid in defence, that being said we have Lulia and Naiqama who are probably at the same level so no point.

Serc

First Grade
Surely White would be asking for ridiculous amounts of money - he is probably the most 'high profile' prop currently off contract, in a market that is a little thin on quality metre eaters.

I'm gonna stick this out there - Ben Cross at his best is better than Brett White at his best, and White would be certainly be asking for more than what we're paying Cross now. (and no I'm not saying we should keep Cross...just making a comparison)

Costigan I have a little bit of interest in...not sure how much he'd be going for though, could be a reasonable amount, could be a lot (as he is cemented on the QLD bench these days)

macavity

Referee
we won't re-sign Cross.

no to Quinn.

Manu, Blair and Proctor would all be great pickups. What are White's stats like? If we are after a no-frills type like him, would at least want him to be a metre-eater.

Nuffy

Bench
Why would he even be close to a handy pickup?

Well lets see,

He'd been cheaper than many on the market,
He's played wing and centre,
He's from Newcastle so he'd take less convincing to return,
He's far better than Tighe and he's (Tighe) been touted as a signing option,
He's better than Lulia, Wes, MacDonnell and shows better versatility that Sau in that he can catch and pass.

RHCP

Bench
Aku Uate & James McManus are both better options than Quinn in my books, and I doubt he'd want to leave Melbourne just to play reserve grade when he could probably play in the NRL at another club.

macavity

Referee
Maybe - White, Blair, Hoffman, Manu, Lima, Quinn and Finch.

Would it be unrealistic to say we could afford White ($300k), Blair ($280k), Manu ($220k) and Lima (200k)?

Plug those 4 in, and all of a sudden we have a pretty decent squad...

It probably is unrealistic given they will be expecting Storm money, not market rate... and there will probably be clubs willing to give it to them - I expect the Warriors to go all out for one or more of the Kiwis, and a number of other clubs always seem to find miracle money for big signings.

Storm players aside, Brent Tate is off contract - thoughts? I rate him big time, one of the best centres in the game. Imagine him and Aku on one side - speed to burn....