What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storm salary cap scandal thread

Glenn

First Grade
Just think that for so long we all thought they were paying unders to keep a stable, strong winning squad. In reality, who knows how much the likes of Slater, Inglis and Smith are being payed

There has always been the speculation that Melbourne were over the salary cap, however this was always met with the usual denials.
Questions need to be asked of Messers Gallop and Co, why it took the Storm coming forward with these breaches for the NRL to become aware of it.

Last edited:

m0nty

Juniors
This is an awful day for sport in Australia. Nothing good will come out of this, only pain. Surely the new Storm CEO, who was COO during the cheat years, has to be implicated as well. CEOs of both the Rebel and the Storm sacked on the same day you'd reckon. How did they think they would get away with it?

taxidriver

Coach
Devistating news for RL. The future of league in Melbourne looks to be in serious doubt.

As a dogs fan I feel for all the storm supporters.....feels like a massive kick to the guts.

p.s. I dont think the players would be aware, i doubt theyd know what each player was earning and that their salary helped push them over.

the players knew
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,27022196-5018866,00.html?from=public_rss
The investigations revealed the Storm maintained a dual contract system, with the club confirming that side letters promising extra payments were stored in a secret file.

Ridders

Coach
The NRL might as well have kicked the Storm out of the comp, given the severity of the punishment...

Last edited:

WaznTheGreat

Referee
I think im just about done with this sport,year after year there is far too much negativity in rugby league,one year its all about players off field behaviour/drinking problems,the next year its all about the God awful Refs and the rule changes,the next year its all about salary cap breaches.

Every single season in rugby league there is huge issues and its all negative,f**k this sport.

Glenn

First Grade
so why dont we get the 07 premiership tag and parra the 09? and does that mean they cant accumulate points at all this year

Don't think Premierships can be awarded retrospectivly, even allowing for Cap cheating.
Yes they will be stripped of all points earnt so far, and unable to earn any points for the remainder of 2010

Ladmate

Bench
Where will Slater, Smith and Inglis go now when the storm fold.

I feel heartbroken for storm fans. You deserve better than cheating scum.

Dragon

Coach
Waldron conveniently left at the right time, but he should be banned from any type of role in all codes for this.

DubaiSaint

Juniors
The Punishment - Fair and swift and just. The NRL cannot condone salary cap rorting and the precedent was set by the Bulldogs. The Bulldogs had rorted for only 2yrs and had the best team in the comp and were set to be big contenders.

Melbourne has been doing it for FIVE years (only 3 years after the Bulldogs Scandal) and they have been in the past four GF's. So the punishment does fit the crime.

Who is accountable? Well CEO Waldron is being held out as the scapegoat, but players, managers and other admin staff should all be identified and held accountable as well.

All Storm Contracts should be re-negotiated. Have Melbourne offer deals to players in the cap for durations of their choosing and allow them to renegotiate with every player in isolation with no involvement from the other clubs.

Once Melbourne have a 2011 roster that is cap compliant, anyone else is a free agent for 2011. Do this now so clubs can manage their rosters for 2011.

My Pity - goes to the Storm fans and for the game in general. Melbourne Storm will not fold and they will play on. The Bulldogs became a better club for their scandal, lets hope Melbourne does the same.

Again, like in 2002, I hope this sends a strong message to ALL other club CEO's.

If it happens again, expulsion / revoking of license is the next step. God help that club.

big_matt

Juniors
I'm almost too angry to post. Ive spent the last 5 years at the graveyard and in october i spent a fortune going up to sydney for the gf. All for nothing. I'll never go back, and i hope they finish last every year. What an absolute joke.

smithie

Juniors
Where will Slater, Smith and Inglis go now when the storm fold.

I think many of the Storms top players will be leaving the NRL to Super League and European rugby. It will take a very long time for this situation to blow over and some players will just want to get away.

Noa

First Grade
Im absoltuely devestated.

Gutted for Rugby League

Gutted for thoes young boys in the SG BAll team that I go out to watch.

My wife has had 2 miscarriages in the last 2 years and I feel as sad as I did then.