What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storm salary cap scandal thread

m0nty

Juniors
yeah mate, we know the AFL wouldnt do the same thing....................the board and executive of that organisation would prefer sweep to such revelations under the carpet, plough on with its corporate objective of expansion and profits, and wipe sh*t on corporations legislation and ethical integrity in general. this is a major corporate governance issue, fraud and dishonesty from a scum CEO on company, industry and country, and the NRL took the right step to blow it open. all corporations have a social responsibility. that Vic scum was the mind & will of the corporation. his actions are binding on the Storm. he brought it down. not the NRL.

im sick to death of brainwashed AFL-supporters who believe the goals of the organisation are greater than its responsibility to the community at large.
Of course the AFL has had rorting as well. AFL-blessed rorting, in the case of the Lions and Swans, and darker stuff like Carlton. Questions are being asked now about Frank Costa and Geelong along the same lines.

The timing was not a decision the NRL could make, I agree that they had to bust it open. I also agree that the AFL hides a lot of things like this, or tacitly approves them. The NRL officials are some of the biggest victims in all of this.

It's shocking no matter which way you look at it. No one should be "laughing" at any aspect of this, as Knightmare was.

Boot them out until 2011 and give all other clubs extra cap to allow the stronger players to play at another club and get paid a salary worthy of their ability.

I am very worried about the ramifications. I am generally worried about the future of the NRL

What happens if this is happening at other clubs. What if this is standard practice at most clubs and as fans we have no idea it is happening. What if the NRL investigates other clubs and finds 4 or 5 that are doing the same thing?

I am also worried about State of Origin. It seems likely that the players knew about it.The likely players involved are the highest paid players who are key members of the QLD origin side. These players should be penalised for there part but if that means that the Queensland team is missing its best players what sort of contest will it be. It will be a hollow victory if NSW beat a depleted QLD.

26842_386269877946_316323092946_4134358_1237559_s.jpg

markieboy

Juniors
As Steve Mortimer has commented today - The penalties are too high however the stripping of Premierships really doesn't mean anything anyway. You can't reverse the result and the celebrations.

Fui!!!

Juniors
They will forever go down in history as not having won 07 and 09.

Steve Mortimer's comments were not thought out.

He said the Premierships should NOT have been stripped.

So it would OK for a club to cheat the cap to win the premiership, knowing full well if they were caught next year, they would still be premiers.

Tell the Storm fan who put all his storm stuff in a garbage bag and dropped it off at storm HQ that it doesn't hurt.

Rovelli

Bench
It's a different kettle of fish...those players would still play in State of Origin, regardless of what club they are at.

big_matt

Juniors
No...the club is an embarrassment, I will not be going on Sunday and that will be the first home game I have missed in 10 years.

Pretty sad really..

Well said mate. Im not going this weekend and wont be utilising my membership for the rest of the season. The fact players were involved makes me feel physically sick. The same players i have cheered my lungs out for since i came to australia. I am so angry and dissapointed about this. My memories of the last five years are tarnished.

RABK

Referee
I've been gardening all afternoon and first i heard of this was at 8pm. :lol:

Biggest holy sh*t moment since watching the second plane hit the WTC south tower live on sep 11th 2001.

Sad day as a league fan, my gut is turning and i dislike the storm a lot. I feel for their fans so much and if Bellamy and his players truly had no inkling of any of it than them too - but one thing everyone will have to come to terms with is the fact that a lot, if not all, of the memories and success they'll now feel robbed of would not have come to pass without the rorting itself.

Dani

Immortal
They didn't just cheat the NRL. They didn't just cheat the LAW. They cheated US.

My heart is broken, my memories are tarnished and i am beside myself.

Eels Dude

Coach
As long as the players have contracts with the club they have to honour those contracts.... So making them shed players for THIS year is not really an option. Somehow they'll have to shed players to get under the cap for next season. I can't see this situation being like with the Bulldogs where they'll be willing to take pay cuts. I bet certain players will be disgusted with what happens and leave just to not be associated with a disgraced club.

Latest posts