What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storm salary cap scandal thread

shiznit

Coach
Bittersweet moment for Robert Finch... the bloke would be shattered for his boy... but on the other hand... no one gives a f**k about him anymore...

sh*thouse week for the finch family though....

Feel sorry for Storm fans. I understand the retrospective punishment and the million dollar fine but the points docking, as it stands, doesn't just punish the club but the fans as well who face a season of meaningless games.

On a lighter side. Seeing that 2007-9 never happened, as an 'official' grand final score, the Roosters 1975, 38 nil result stands as the record.

Sorry Saints fans, couldn't resist.

Ridders

Coach
1) Make the Storm eject enough players so that they are beneath the cap this season. The June 30 deadline is still a while away so those players would still have a realistic chance of signing with another team, although how many teams have cap space I'm not sure off

2) Impose a massive fine. The current financial penalty would suffice

3) Impose a significant points deduction. Maybe something like 16 points.

I would take this any day over just making the Storm redundant for the season.

Last edited:

0neye

The only way to stop this is to open the book's to the player's and player manager's so they can see how much the other player's are getting.

Hoggy

Bench
That would be sensible.

Plus they forgot to do anything about our World Club Challenge trophy. Incompetent clowns.

mightybears

Bench
no sympathy at all for million dollar betting agencies who are dumb enough to frame a market for something so obviously fraught with 'viables' that leak out.

ozjet1

The timing of this is extraordinary. Just days before the Storm debut at Swan St. Could hardly be worse.

Also timed spectacularly poorly for the next TV rights deal. All you merkins from north of the Murray who are celebrating this should know that it will likely impact your club's bottom line, as it's going to be really hard for RL officials to push Melbourne as a vibrant part of the league for the next five years.

yeah mate, we know the AFL wouldnt do the same thing....................the board and executive of that organisation would prefer sweep to such revelations under the carpet, plough on with its corporate objective of expansion and profits, and wipe sh*t on corporations legislation and ethical integrity in general. this is a major corporate governance issue, fraud and dishonesty from a scum CEO on company, industry and country, and the NRL took the right step to blow it open. all corporations have a social responsibility. that Vic scum was the mind & will of the corporation. his actions are binding on the Storm. he brought it down. not the NRL.

im sick to death of brainwashed AFL-supporters who believe the goals of the organisation are greater than its responsibility to the community at large.

Last edited:

Ladmate

Bench
Congrats Melbourne. I believe you are the first to do this, let alone by Round 7.

This isn't a shot at the fans, but we should acknowledge record-breakers ;-)

Knightmare

Coach
I'd had a feeling, probably for the last year, that the Storm were over the cap. I couldn't believe that they could keep the team together they had and the players were in it purely because they loved the place that much or were such a tight group.

There are a few Storm fans who were acting quite smug about the "succcess" of their team. To them I say suck s**t. Who's laughing now? It also makes me smile knowing people like Smith, Slater and Big Game miss out on finals footy because of this. To the rest of you Storm fans out there, f**k. I won't say I know how this must feel because I don't. Sitting here even now, the whole thing still seems like a bad joke and I am waiting for everyone in the media to come out and say "Ha! Fooled you all!"

I am VERY disappointed in the people responsible for this rort. They were given the responsibility of growing the Storm brand in AFL heartland, and they chose selfish ambition over their duty of making sure the Storm were growing the seed in the most hostile, anti- Rugby League environment in the world. Their actions have tarnished the club and, more importantly, the image of the game. OUR game. It's not just Storm fans, but fans of Rugby League and who want to see the game grow, who should feel cheated by this.

We MUST keep a team in Melbourne, whether it be the Storm or a new entity. If the NRL packs up and leaves, then we might as well just become that competition that ceases to have any presence outside of NSW, Qld and the ACT.

I have posted on this site for a long time and have declared by allegiance to Storm from day one.

How do I feel now ??...gutted, angry and flat...

Questions need to be asked:

How could they mislead the fans and corporate sponsors so badly ??.
Who should be held responsible for this stuation ??.
Will the club have a team next year ??.

Have a crack if you want at me and others but I agree with all the sanctions imposed.

I wish all other clubs the best this season and hope that you all enjoy some success with your clubs.

I may change my user name to "kia ora bro"...

Cheers

Kia

markieboy

Juniors
The stripping of the Premierships is a real joke. A real Claytons act.

As if the Melbourne Storm Players and Fans care if the Premierships have been stripped in name only. They know they won them, every man and dog knows that they won them.

The fans had the nights of their lives and people like Gallop can never take away those feelings and memories.
:D

Latest posts