What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storm salary cap scandal thread

cornerposter

Juniors
I know that if I was an NRL coach, I would play my Under 20s team when we vs the Storm. Why risk an injury for a guaranteed win?
Points will not be automatic. You beat the Storm you get the points. They beat you, noone gets the points.

boxa777

Coach
I think I am probably in the minority here..

Firstly I hate the Storm. I hate their tactics and I hate some of their merkin players, particularly Slater.

But, this is not good news. For one because i love the game and sh*t like ths ruins it. Now all we'll be talking about is the fraudulent activities of the Storm as opposed to the footy.

Also, how bout this year's premiership? Yep, f**kin tainted as well.

I also want to question why there is a need for this to happen. Yes the Storm have some guns. Slater, Inglis, Cam and Cronk. But a lot of the rest are fill ins that have performed better than they have had at other clubs. Now how could you justify paying so much money for these players that you have now exceeded the cap by so much?

Some people just don't give a f**k about the game. Waldron the cocksmoker is one of those people.

Overall, a stunning day and even though I hate the Storm, I'm pretty empty by it all.

Knightmare

Coach
I like Ridders' idea. Makes more sense than the team playing for nothing the rest of the season. Might as well treat every game from here on like a training session.

Ulysseus

Bench
They rorted the cap for 5 years, therefore punishment could be:

1) 5 years out the comp, fair in my book, best team of the decade my arse

2) Reduce their cap to a level they can afford without News Ltd funding for the next 5 years :)

Many of you will see the irony of option 2.

Ridders

Coach
But from this point on, any team who plays the Storm is playing against a "tainted" team, with players who should not be in the club. Any team who loses against this tainted team would have a right to be upset as they have been ripped 2 competition points because their opposition were basically stacked. Not fair. I am all for making Melbourne PLAY their remaining games but they forfeit them, meaning their opposition will receive the two points anyway.

That couldn't work because some teams would play the Storm twice on their schedule, whereas some would only play them once.

LazyDreamer

Bench
why not make 700k worth of salary cap sit out every week? or alter their contracts so they get less money for the rest of the year

Because the same side - brought together and maintained with tainted money - would still be playing. It's like the Dogs' 2004 GF win - the only reason that team was able to take paycuts & stay together to win it was because they'd been brought together by rorting the cap. No rorting, that side never forms in the first place.

Scarves

Juniors
I still think what happened to the Bulldogs is a black scar on the game, but that now in comparison to this punishment is a flat out nothing burger.

I reckon the NRL should have cooled down over this for a week and made a decision on punishment after the public opinion media circus had their skinfull. Then the NRL could have looked at everything including the impact of any decision. This decision basically doesn't just leave the Melbourne Storm reeling, it basically crucify's our great game, all it's fans and everything associated with this season.

Yeah, I'm hurt by the systematic cheating, but please, this has been going on for four years give or take. Ian Schubert only started digging after a renegade pied piper played some outlawed tunes. The Storm deserve punishment yes. But the punishment dished up seemingly in the heat of the battle by the NRL really crunches the game like radiation therapy destroys cancer and everything else it hits.

So so many facets to this decision that will affect so so much, me going on about it could draw up four more pages. I'm not prepared to harp on about what would be appropriate punishment right now because my judgement is too clouded by my emotional attachment to the game I love. My head will clear in about 5 - 15 working days and just like a Judge who adjourns for three weeks after a guilty finding to make a sentencing... this is how the sage decisions and calm judgements are made.

That is my biggest point, the NRL should have not rushed into this decision, whether it be the right one or one that could destroy 14 years of work since the Super League war.

markieboy

Juniors
If the Storm can't pay back the $1.6 million will they be placed into Administration and fold?

Where are they going to get this money from?

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
do you need a new thread for every f**king thought you have?

not like it's many but f**k me.

hellteam

First Grade
I still think what happened to the Bulldogs is a black scar on the game, but that now in comparison to this punishment is a flat out nothing burger.

I reckon the NRL should have cooled down over this for a week and made a decision on punishment after the public opinion media circus had their skinfull. Then the NRL could have looked at everything including the impact of any decision. This decision basically doesn't just leave the Melbourne Storm reeling, it basically crucify's our great game, all it's fans and everything associated with this season.

Yeah, I'm hurt by the systematic cheating, but please, this has been going on for four years give or take. Ian Schubert only started digging after a renegade pied piper played some outlawed tunes. The Storm deserve punishment yes. But the punishment dished up seemingly in the heat of the battle by the NRL really crunches the game like radiation therapy destroys cancer and everything else it hits.

So so many facets to this decision that will affect so so much, me going on about it could draw up four more pages. I'm not prepared to harp on about what would be appropriate punishment right now because my judgement is too clouded by my emotional attachment to the game I love. My head will clear in about 5 - 15 working days and just like a Judge who adjourns for three weeks after a guilty finding to make a sentencing... this is how the sage decisions and calm judgements are made.

That is my biggest point, the NRL should have not rushed into this decision, whether it be the right one or one that could destroy 14 years of work since the Super League war.

Great thoughts, I havent thought about it like that, this decision certainly is so significant, and they did seem to rush it, after all, they only had the meeting about it this morning apparently.

nqcowboy87

Bench
this sort of thing seems to happen every year, brisbane, roosters and i think the 2nd time for the storm in the past.
nothing usually happens, and someone is out of pocket for some serious coin.

hindsight is amazing

hellteam

First Grade

I think Gus copied this on the Footy Show

Latest posts