What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storm will be forced to lose two more...

Shorty

Staff member
i'd say it has relevance given your criticism of a team can squarely be pointed at your team
:?..That sentence doesn't even make sense in itself.

All that it was,was for you to decide to sink the boot into my team because somehow because,iyo,my team has some average players...I'm not allowed to give criticism of others..

A)I never said this wasn't the case with other teams(Cows included) and
B)I have not brought my team,or JT into the equation.

I dunno if you've read the title,but it's about Steve Turner and Melbourne.

F**k you make it easy,LOL.

miccle

Bench
First Lol, dont kid yourself, and second who you have playing inside you doesnt have much effect on the line-break stat. Its more a indication of an individuals ability to find a gap.

Oh, I see. So very few of Turner's line breaks would come from Inglis/Slater/Cronk/Folau drawing in defenders and popping a nice pass for Turner? Lol.

I'm not taking anything away from the bloke. Don't hate him, but I wouldn't really be putting his name down as one of the top 10 wingers of the comp.

To suggest that halves and centres have little impact on the performance of a winger, though, is hilarious.

Noa

First Grade
Consistency wise a lot of average players would make that list....

For the Storm!
As tries that Billy Slater,Cam Smith,Cooper Cronk and Greg Inglis would have been a part of!
I guess if he gets a place in another club,it'll speak for itself.

I said honey once,you just look like a d*ckhead then...going mental because I used one word..almost like a kid that learns a new swearword:lol:

Lol, once or 5 times Shorty you were being patronising so I gave a bit back. I was only playing around though sweetcheeks.

you say he only looks good because of the players outside of him - criticism

everyone of the cowboys players looks decent because of thurston - fact

Noa

First Grade
Oh, I see. So very few of Turner's line breaks would come from Inglis/Slater/Cronk/Folau drawing in defenders and popping a nice pass for Turner? Lol.

What is hilarious is passing to an unmarked winger doesnt go down as a line-break. Try again.

Shorty

Staff member
you say he only looks good because of the players outside of him - criticism
And so I'm still struggling to see how Turner relates back to this
everyone of the cowboys players looks decent because of thurston - fact
What is it supposed to achieve by saying this?
What that I somehow didn't know this and that now it magically expells my argument now Turner is suddenly a good player,f**k you're more dumb than I thought.

Loudstrat

Coach
Comparing Turner to El Masri - FFS.

Turner is going to finish his career around the 150-200 game mark as a good club winger/fullback. With luck he'll get a few more rep jumpers - Origin being the absolute max.

Hasem is at the end of his career, and despite slowing down, as you'd expect, not many were better than him at bringing a ball out of his in goal. And, something far mor important, and rarely noted. You NEVER hear of Hasem in a contract dispute, NEVER hear of him negotiating with another club, and NEVER is his name linked with ESL. Hasem El Masri is the old style, loyal, consistantly good clubman. Like Hindy, Tongue, Cooper and scant few others.

Back to Turner. Yeah, he welched. Probably wouldn't have had Melbourne not promised him the earth. Now they try to offload him, because Smith and Inglis had their contracts beefed up by threatening to leave - (I don't recall Slater doing that, BTW).

That says as much about Melbourne as it does Turner.

Tommax25

Bench
Is that right.

Steve is a good first-grade winger, he's scored 44 tries in the last 3 seasons, and over the last 3 years not many wingers have perofrmed better. His stats stand up to to anyone else.

Sure he had a bad SOO, but if your gonna base your opinion on a game in a big match then Anthony Watmough is the biggest fraud of all-time.

But dont let the trees block your view of the woods.

the difference is steve turner didnt deserve to play in origin and had a shocker, whereas watmough earnt his place in the 2007 gf where he turned in a shocker. thats what ranckles me about turner. I dislike him because of that undeserved call-up due to who his coach is and all the crap with the titans but I know he is not a horrible player, no superstar but decent enough.

Noa

First Grade
the difference is steve turner didnt deserve to play in origin and had a shocker, whereas watmough earnt his place in the 2007 gf where he turned in a shocker. thats what ranckles me about turner. I dislike him because of that undeserved call-up due to who his coach is and all the crap with the titans but I know he is not a horrible player, no superstar but decent enough.

Fair enough.

People bagging Steve for his not joining the titans or for being picked for SOO (though i disagree, he deserved a shot, he wasnt up to it) doesnt bother me in the slightest.

But when people crap on about him being useless and a poor player I'll defend him to the hilt. Ive been to every home game the last 3 years plus watched every game 2 or 3 times on video, and I see the things he does for us.

And Loudstrat good post, apart from the usual red-mist that descends when you type the words m-e-l-b-o-u-r-n-e.

Edited to add White would be lucky to make the top 13 over the last 3 years. Cross carried him for 2 years then Lima hoisted his useless carcass on his back from march to oct.

Last edited:
Steve Turner is an average first grade winger on the end of a world class backline. He's a good finisher so he fits in well on the end of the Storm backline. I wouldn't take the punt on him because our backline is ordinary compared to Melbournes and I don't think he'd be very effective on the end of it. I wouldn't mind Anderson though.

mxlegend99

Referee
To suggest that halves and centres have little impact on the performance of a winger, though, is hilarious.
Exactly.

Michael Jennings and Frank Pritchard managed to help Luke Rooney score 4 tries in one game... he was a fairly average winger by todays standards, but the players around him managed to boost his stats massively for the season.

Steve Turner is a solid winger... but that's about it. I think William Isa is going to be the Storm player to explode in 2009... hopefully Greg Inglis is shifted to centre and William Isa plays on the wing outside him.

mxlegend99

Referee
BTW i wouldn't mind if the Panthers were to sign him. Might increase the chances at Michael Gordon getting shifted to the centres. He is by far the most underrated winger in the NRL. Most supporters of other teams only notice him when he racks up a couple of tries and boots a few goals against them.

Shorty

Staff member
The theory of "Correlation does not imply causation" Shorty. Thats how it relates.
Oh I see.
Steve Turner is an average first grade winger on the end of a world class backline. He's a good finisher so he fits in well on the end of the Storm backline. I wouldn't take the punt on him because our backline is ordinary compared to Melbournes and I don't think he'd be very effective on the end of it. I wouldn't mind Anderson though.
Hit the nail on the head.

nzwarriors60

Juniors
Turner ain't in the top 20 wingers I can name a winger at just about every club that is better than him...

Broncos: Folau or Micheals (Who ever plays on the wing).
Raiders: Phil Graham
Bulldogs: Utai, El Masri (maybe)
Warriors: Vatuvei, Kemp and even maybe Kirk and Ah Van.
Tigers: Tuiaki
Eels: Inu, Hayne, Grothe
Manly: Williams, Robertson
Roosters: Perret, Kenny-Dowell
Knights: Vuna, Mcmanus
Sharks: Covell
Dragons: Boyd, Nightangale, Dell
Rabbitohs: Best
Cowboys: Williams
Storm: Quinn
Panthers: Gordon (who I agree is very underated)

Thats only the Titans who don't have a better winger, so he is very adverage.

Shorty

Staff member
^The Tits had the two Jordans,but Rapana is doing his whole churchie thing.

roopy

Referee
Storm could send Lucas Miller back to the Knights if they want - and if he is over that nasty knee injury - get sick thinking about that.

Latest posts