What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storming in to Hobart!!!!!

elbusto

Coach
Storming in to Hobart

30/11/2011 12:00:00 PM

Melbourne Storm will take on fellow NRL powerhouse the Brisbane Broncos at North Hobart Oval on Saturday 18 February in a final hit out for both teams before the start of the 2012 season.
In a joint venture with North Hobart Football Club, the clubs will bring professional rugby league to the Tasmanian community for the first time since 1998, in what is being dubbed the Tassie Tussle.
Storm stars Cameron Smith, Billy Slater, Cooper Cronk and their teammates will descend on Hobart from Tuesday 14 February as the team sharpens its preparations for the season with a training camp, rugby league clinics and community visits.
North Hobart FC President Darryn Perry joined former Storm captain and now Club Ambassador Robbie Kearns along with current first grade player and Kiwi International Matt Duffie at North Hobart Oval for the announcement.
Storm CEO, Ron Gauci, said the club was excited to bring rugby league to the Tasmanian sports loving community.
“We are delighted to see an NRL presence in Hobart again,” Gauci said.
“The players and coaches cannot wait to get to Hobart to play the Broncos and also spend time in the community spreading the Melbourne Storm brand.
“We would like to thank North Hobart Football Club for supporting this initiative. It would not have proceeded without their commitment to bringing first class rugby league to Hobart,” Gauci said.
North Hobart Football Club President, Darryn Perry, said "our club is excited to host both Storm and Broncos, the two biggest club brands in the NRL,” Perry said.
“Supporting games to this blockbuster event will be the grand final of the Tasmanian Rugby League competition and a women’s touch football match between Victoria and Tasmania.”
Tickets are available from Thursday 1 December through the North Hobart FC website and melbournestorm.com.au. Tickets can also be purchased from all TOTE retail outlets in Tasmania.

jc155776

Coach
Random fact. I was at that game in 1998 when the storm killed the rams. To be honest we should take advantage of tas being continually f**ked by the afl for expansion. Although the place is pretty much afl brainwashed and a mini Vic. I had a mate who's dad use to captain a local team. Use to get decent crowds at wentworth st park for finals.

age.s

First Grade
I was in Tasmania last week. For all the shit it's fun to stir regarding inbreds, it really is a magnificent part of the world. I could see myself living there though the blanket fumbleball coverage would be rough.

RL is obviously a long way from being anywhere near AFL down there, but the place seems to me to be crying out for a sporting team to call it's own. The Tassie Sheffield Shield match was on the back page of the papers FFS. Good work by the Storm (and elB) IMO. Hopefully this becomes a regular thing and the people of Hobart get behind it.

elbusto

Coach
I was in Tasmania last week. For all the shit it's fun to stir regarding inbreds, it really is a magnificent part of the world. I could see myself living there though the blanket fumbleball coverage would be rough.

RL is obviously a long way from being anywhere near AFL down there, but the place seems to me to be crying out for a sporting team to call it's own. The Tassie Sheffield Shield match was on the back page of the papers FFS. Good work by the Storm (and elB) IMO. Hopefully this becomes a regular thing and the people of Hobart get behind it.
Thanks. STorm goal is to play here every other year and eventually a Roster game.

Great news for Tassie!

clarency

Juniors
I've always been a fan of Tas. Most ignored state in Australia. Start with trial matches to build some interest. Move onto full NRL matches. Give it time. Let the population grow. Target the kiddies.

It would be a long project but would love to see it happen.

Tas > CQLD

Lambretta

First Grade
This is a good idea and one that leads me to another idea

With a game in Adelaide last year and a game in Perth - what would be the chances of say 50% of all League teams playing one home game in non heartland cities each season

Each club nominates and area they wish to associate with outside of NSW & QLD and play a game there every two years. This means from a television point of view 8 games are played each year out of area which could help with the advertising dollar.

Also if a club goes back to an area on a regular basis with trials matches every season and an NRL game every two seasons then that could lead to member numbers increasing.

Warriors could do South Island NZ or Wellington
Sharks could do Adelaide
Souths could take Perth
North Queensland could take Darwin
Storm take Tasmania
Broncos could take PNG

If you chose eight regions, then two teams could vie for support in each area. Say Roosters and Souths in Perth - or Sharks and Dragons in Adelaide. Then there would be a game in each City each season. The two teams vying for that area could even play trials against each other as part of an interstate membership drive.

Anyway, I'm just sprouting ideas.

Good work on the Storm with this initiative.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't think people on the East coast realise how big a boost for RL in non heartland areas these games are. When games are on we see a 100% increase in media covg across all the media for a couple of weeks before and a week after the game. The games can also give a big boost to jnrs if teams get involved in school coaching clinics etc leading up to the game. Finally the local state organisation can get a healthy funding boost if the clubs play ball and let some of the $'s flow back to the local game.

For very little effort RL gets a big boost in potential expansion areas.

I've always been a fan of Tas. Most ignored state in Australia. Start with trial matches to build some interest. Move onto full NRL matches. Give it time. Let the population grow. Target the kiddies.

It would be a long project but would love to see it happen.

Tas > CQLD

Unfortunantly the reason Tassie has been igrnored by the AFL is that the population is small with little to no current or percieved future population growth.

It´d be a long painful tustle trying to win these people over from AFL.

Tasmania Pioneers as an expansion club in 2075?

Noa

First Grade
Love Tassie, will make it if the stars are aligned.

The only downside is Boags Brewery is in Launceston

Perth Red

Post Whore
It will be interesting to see the response to the game. Again we can;t read too much into it as the game has been totally neglected over there and we shouldn't expect Tasmanian's will suddenly love the sport. One day we might have an NRL that has vision for development and a comprehensive growth plan that includes more than just a one off game.

Highway1

Juniors
Good work elbusto.
Hopefully all your hard work will be rewarded with your dreams coming true.
Rugby League was built by people like you.

Latest posts