What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strike 2 to Hook ?

denis preston

First Grade

Arm-banned: Griffin considered de Belin for captaincy until Dragons intervention​

Michael Chammas

By Michael Chammas

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/live-scores?match=501300801
Six weeks after Jack de Belin misled the NRL and St George Illawarra officials about his whereabouts on the night of Paul Vaughan’s house party, Dragons coach Anthony Griffin was considering naming him captain for this weekend.
In what would have been one of the most controversial decisions of Griffin’s short tenure at the Dragons, de Belin was put forward as a potential skipper for this Sunday’s clash with the Sydney Roosters before an 11th-hour change of heart.
St George Illawarra were considering naming Jack de Belin as captain this weekend.

St George Illawarra were considering naming Jack de Belin as captain this weekend.CREDIT:NRL PHOTOS
The notion was met with resistance from some within the organisation during a discussion between Dragons powerbrokers on Tuesday, with the club instead opting to hand Tariq Sims the armband when the official team list was named at 4pm yesterday.
Dragons chief executive Ryan Webb confirmed there had been a discussion about the captaincy but declined to comment on the issue when contacted by the Herald on Tuesday.

The Herald also contacted Griffin, but he did not respond.
One of the main reasons St George Illawarra signed Griffin to replace Paul McGregor as coach was because of his reputation as a strict disciplinarian. That would have been undermined had he named de Belin as captain, given the deception behind the events that ultimately cost Vaughan his Dragons contract.
Tariq Sims (left), not Jack de Belin (right), will captain the Dragons this weekend. The pair were part of the NSW Blues set up in 2018.

Tariq Sims (left), not Jack de Belin (right), will captain the Dragons this weekend. The pair were part of the NSW Blues set up in 2018.CREDIT:GETTY
De Belin, like the 12 other players in attendance, was fined and suspended for attending Vaughan’s Shellharbour home despite NSW public health orders prohibiting them from attending. De Belin reportedly hid underneath a bed in Vaughan’s house when NSW Police came to break up the house party and was not one of the 12 players initially fined by police.
The party was in breach of the game’s biosecurity protocols and disregarded a directive from Griffin, who had denied the players’ requests for a team bonding session at WIN Stadium due to heightened concerns over the state’s growing COVID-19 problem.
Advertisement

It also would have come just two months after de Belin returned to the sport following a three-year lay-off fighting rape charges in court. Charges were dropped in May after two mistrials, allowing de Belin to return to the Dragons mid-season.
The door opened for de Belin to potentially captain the club last week when stand-in skipper Andrew McCullough suffered an injury deputising for Ben Hunt. The injuries have left a void in the club’s leadership, but Griffin has gone with Sims, a NSW State of Origin representative, to lead the club in the absence of the experienced duo.

Griffin is no stranger to controversy, having led the pursuit of Israel Folau at the start of the year. Griffin met Folau in the off-season and convinced the Dragons to throw the dual international a lifeline after returning home from a Super League stint with Catalans.​

Following backlash from fans and sponsors after the Herald revealed the Dragons’ pursuit of Folau in February, the club dropped its interest a couple of days later.

Griffin’s selections have also come under fire of late, with the decision not to renew the contract of fullback Matt Dufty dividing supporters.
His continued selection of the under-siege Corey Norman, who will depart the club at the end of the season, has also proved unpopular with fans. The Dragons have once again named Norman in the halves for this weekend, but rookie sensation Junior Amone will wear the No.6 against the Roosters.
The Dragons have also opted to play Josh McGuire at hooker as a replacement for the injured McCullough. Dufty will also return to the team at fullback, forcing Jack Bird back to the centres.
Sports news, results and expert commentary. Sign up for our Sport newsletter

This is really worrying and puts my faith in Hooks thought process in doubt .

denis preston

First Grade
Thanks for posting, I couldn't get past the paywall.

From an outsider looking in it looks like Hook tried to reward stupidity. If so, it was a distinct lack of judgement but at least some in the club could see this was not a good idea.
Probably Webby but interesting that he has any control over this so perhaps Elliott or Gentle ? More importantly how did this info get out ? Hook getting white anted by some already or is this just absolute bullshit by Cammas ? He clearly reads this forum.

Rob Dragon 1

Juniors
In my eye
De Belin has been putting in on the field since his return.
I'm not sure of his mental capacity but we need a man who leads by his actions - not his demands.
While Hunt is absent maybe this could be De Belin's grace from self imposed purgatory
No, no, no, no, no, no, no.

De Belin is paid (very well) to put in on the field. That is his job.

De Belin spent more then 2 years out of the game facing serious criminal charges. Upon his return he attended the infamous BBQ and hid under a bed when NSW Police arrived. And this is the guy Hook is considering as captain? If the story is correct (IF) then Anthony Griffin is the wrong man for this job because his judgment will have been shown be be demonstratively inadequate.

Considering a religious bigot in Falua was concerning. Bringing Josh McGuire here was perplexing. Anointing De Belin as captain would be catastrophic for Griffin's reputation. I have supported Griffin and have felt empathy for him given the mess he inherited and the unravelling of the season by events beyond his control. He can however control who he gives the captains arm-band to. I am very worried about Griffin IF this is correct.

St Tangles

Bench
Probably Webby but interesting that he has any control over this so perhaps Elliott or Gentle ? More importantly how did this info get out ? Hook getting white anted by some already or is this just absolute bullshit by Cammas ? He clearly reads this forum.
That's the big question

Who's leaking this stuff if true

They should have these conversations and we shouldn't hear about it

Adolf_Spritzer

Juniors
It's designed to do exactly that, where was this kind of scrutiny for the melon head?

On a side note I got so fed up with the garbage being spewed out by fox I ended up watching last week's match with the volume down and can I say.. what a difference. Was able to watch without my frustration levels continually being stoked, and instead of having an agenda pushed I could watch the game objectively. I'm so sick of commentators watching an entirely different game to what is on and saying what they want to believe

matPORTS

Juniors
Hmmm?

I commented prior to the season commencing (with regards to the at the time unfolding McInnes and Folau situations) that some of the decisions and direction that Hook was going to take this year were going to come from left field, and that a lot of those decisions and directions were not going to make sense, and in the process going to cause massive noise, distraction, 'ruffling of feathers', and most certainly not be popular (among all stakeholders).

So here we go again... I share the concerns of others here - this should not have leaked to the media.

I continue to remain empathetic to Hook and the mess he has no doubt inherited. But I've also commented that my personal deadline in terms of wanting to see this ship turnaround and facing the right direction will be the Queens Birthday long weekend game in June 2022. The club should not be considering a renewal of his contract until at least this time, and possibly even later than that.

St George Illawarra is Anthony Griffins' last harrah. If he gets this wrong it is highly doubtful he'll get another head coaching gig in the NRL.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Gotta love journalism.
So, the big blow-up here is that the idea was considered, floated, discussed, and then dismissed.
Wow!!

What is a captain anyway? Is it someone who leads by example? Someone who gives it all on the field? Someone thst inspires others?
Or,
Is it someone who just calls for 'captains challenge'?

Under this criteria, who, out of DeBelin and Sims would best fit the requirement?

I am no fan of DeBelin's off-field antics and behaviours, however, since his return to playing, he's arguably been in our top3 players if not our best player each week. Has Tariq?

So, I understand the thinking and the 'considering' and may I add the journo never used 'going to'.

Rob Dragon 1

Juniors
Gotta love journalism.
So, the big blow-up here is that the idea was considered, floated, discussed, and then dismissed.
Wow!!

What is a captain anyway? Is it someone who leads by example? Someone who gives it all on the field? Someone thst inspires others?
Or,
Is it someone who just calls for 'captains challenge'?

Under this criteria, who, out of DeBelin and Sims would best fit the requirement?

I am no fan of DeBelin's off-field antics and behaviours, however, since his return to playing, he's arguably been in our top3 players if not our best player each week. Has Tariq?

So, I understand the thinking and the 'considering' and may I add the journo never used 'going to'.
Respectfully, but with 30 contracted players I would rate De Belin at #30 for consideration as Captain. And that is putting Josh McGuire ahead of him! For the rest of his contracted league life De Belin gets handed his jersey, puts his head down, avoids having to jump under beds, goes home and looks after his wife and young family; and thanks "who-ever" that he still has some decent salary earning years in front of him.

Dragon David

First Grade

Arm-banned: Griffin considered de Belin for captaincy until Dragons intervention​

Michael Chammas

By Michael Chammas

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/live-scores?match=501300801
Six weeks after Jack de Belin misled the NRL and St George Illawarra officials about his whereabouts on the night of Paul Vaughan’s house party, Dragons coach Anthony Griffin was considering naming him captain for this weekend.
In what would have been one of the most controversial decisions of Griffin’s short tenure at the Dragons, de Belin was put forward as a potential skipper for this Sunday’s clash with the Sydney Roosters before an 11th-hour change of heart.
St George Illawarra were considering naming Jack de Belin as captain this weekend.

St George Illawarra were considering naming Jack de Belin as captain this weekend.CREDIT:NRL PHOTOS
The notion was met with resistance from some within the organisation during a discussion between Dragons powerbrokers on Tuesday, with the club instead opting to hand Tariq Sims the armband when the official team list was named at 4pm yesterday.
Dragons chief executive Ryan Webb confirmed there had been a discussion about the captaincy but declined to comment on the issue when contacted by the Herald on Tuesday.

The Herald also contacted Griffin, but he did not respond.
One of the main reasons St George Illawarra signed Griffin to replace Paul McGregor as coach was because of his reputation as a strict disciplinarian. That would have been undermined had he named de Belin as captain, given the deception behind the events that ultimately cost Vaughan his Dragons contract.
Tariq Sims (left), not Jack de Belin (right), will captain the Dragons this weekend. The pair were part of the NSW Blues set up in 2018.

Tariq Sims (left), not Jack de Belin (right), will captain the Dragons this weekend. The pair were part of the NSW Blues set up in 2018.CREDIT:GETTY
De Belin, like the 12 other players in attendance, was fined and suspended for attending Vaughan’s Shellharbour home despite NSW public health orders prohibiting them from attending. De Belin reportedly hid underneath a bed in Vaughan’s house when NSW Police came to break up the house party and was not one of the 12 players initially fined by police.
The party was in breach of the game’s biosecurity protocols and disregarded a directive from Griffin, who had denied the players’ requests for a team bonding session at WIN Stadium due to heightened concerns over the state’s growing COVID-19 problem.
Advertisement

It also would have come just two months after de Belin returned to the sport following a three-year lay-off fighting rape charges in court. Charges were dropped in May after two mistrials, allowing de Belin to return to the Dragons mid-season.
The door opened for de Belin to potentially captain the club last week when stand-in skipper Andrew McCullough suffered an injury deputising for Ben Hunt. The injuries have left a void in the club’s leadership, but Griffin has gone with Sims, a NSW State of Origin representative, to lead the club in the absence of the experienced duo.

Griffin is no stranger to controversy, having led the pursuit of Israel Folau at the start of the year. Griffin met Folau in the off-season and convinced the Dragons to throw the dual international a lifeline after returning home from a Super League stint with Catalans.​

Following backlash from fans and sponsors after the Herald revealed the Dragons’ pursuit of Folau in February, the club dropped its interest a couple of days later.

Griffin’s selections have also come under fire of late, with the decision not to renew the contract of fullback Matt Dufty dividing supporters.
His continued selection of the under-siege Corey Norman, who will depart the club at the end of the season, has also proved unpopular with fans. The Dragons have once again named Norman in the halves for this weekend, but rookie sensation Junior Amone will wear the No.6 against the Roosters.
The Dragons have also opted to play Josh McGuire at hooker as a replacement for the injured McCullough. Dufty will also return to the team at fullback, forcing Jack Bird back to the centres.
Sports news, results and expert commentary. Sign up for our Sport newsletter

It's designed to do exactly that, where was this kind of scrutiny for the melon head?

On a side note I got so fed up with the garbage being spewed out by fox I ended up watching last week's match with the volume down and can I say.. what a difference. Was able to watch without my frustration levels continually being stoked, and instead of having an agenda pushed I could watch the game objectively. I'm so sick of commentators watching an entirely different game to what is on and saying what they want to believe
I always turn the volume off when I watch games now. Cannot stand the bias nature of their comments. They should just call the game and nothing else. Commentary isn't needed for TV but necessary for radio.

Rob Dragon 1

Juniors
I don't think the De Belin being floated as skipper is the issue. I think the bigger issue is that it has somehow been leaked to the media & that Griffin has been overruled (if true). It stinks of trouble somewhere.
Again respectfully, considering De Belin as captain is a significant and serious issue (IF TRUE). What does that say about judgement? But I do agree with you that leaking is an issue IF that is going on.

Can this season from hell end now!!! I just did not see this train wreck unfolding as it has. I was so euphoric with the sacking of McGregor that I never contemplated a 2021 disaster of this magnitude.

TruSaint

Referee
No, no, no, no, no, no, no.

De Belin is paid (very well) to put in on the field. That is his job.

De Belin spent more then 2 years out of the game facing serious criminal charges. Upon his return he attended the infamous BBQ and hid under a bed when NSW Police arrived. And this is the guy Hook is considering as captain? If the story is correct (IF) then Anthony Griffin is the wrong man for this job because his judgment will have been shown be be demonstratively inadequate.

Considering a religious bigot in Falua was concerning. Bringing Josh McGuire here was perplexing. Anointing De Belin as captain would be catastrophic for Griffin's reputation. I have supported Griffin and have felt empathy for him given the mess he inherited and the unravelling of the season by events beyond his control. He can however control who he gives the captains arm-band to. I am very worried about Griffin IF this is correct.

Well said @Rob Dragon 1

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Maybe DeBelin is the leak. I can picture a reporter asking him the question and JDB giving a response along those lines.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I feel sorry for Sims in all this as he should have been the 1st choice after Hunt no questions asked. How McCullough got ahead of him and now possibly De Belin is terrible. Sims plays with heart and is a perfect fit as captain. Hooks decisions are worse than Mary's were and that is really hard to achieve but Hook managed to do it.

Latest posts