What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stuart has blue print of Origin revival

Talanexor

Juniors
When? He looked totally lost in SOO last year

Idris' first game in the second row was round 16 this year against the Raiders. After his Origin debut.

I agree with Pete on there being 20 'right' teams for NSW - the point is that the selectors never pick a single one of them. There are plenty of players who could get the job done, but there's always one or two 'wtf' selections, like Lyon at five-eighth or a centre on the bench.

QLD have a blessing in disguise in having a smaller pool of players - because there is really only 1 'right' team, and at the moment that team is very f*cking dominant!

Big Pete

Referee
I agree with Pete on there being 20 'right' teams for NSW - the point is that the selectors never pick a single one of them.

:lol: Actually I think we disagree. The point I was making is that nobody has a clue on what team would be able to beat Queensland, largely because there aren't players out there putting their hands up...and the ones who are aren't really Origin standard players or are too inexperienced.

I do agree with your point about Queensland benefitting from a smaller player pool.

JW - Idris didn't play second row for NSW, in the end his selection actually panned out well because Cooper got injured. As Tal pointed out, he played second row after Origin but I hardly think Moore was the only one with that idea. I imagine if Cooper hadn't of gone down, Idris would've been assigned a job in the second row to come in and make some big runs to throw something a bit different at the Maroons.

Joker's Wild

Coach
So before his Origin debut he played 0 games of 2nd row. He was selected off the bench with the intention of playing him in the forwards before he had even played a FG game there. If thats not idiocy then I dont know what is.

Big Pete

Referee
Second row or centre.

It's hardly that big a shift and really it's no where near as bad as say playing Josh Morris there.

Don't get me wrong, he wouldn't of made my starting 17 but the calls of worst selection ever irks me when you have Josh Morris selected on the bench in the second game last season.

Anyways, I always thought the Blues should've just quit while they were ahead and selected a side that at least the fans would've gotten behind.

I think the side looked something like...

1. Josh Dugan
2. Jarryd Hayne
3. Jamie Lyon
4. Matt Cooper
5. Brett Morris
6. Trent Barrett
7. Brett Kimmorley
8. Luke Douglas
9. Michael Ennis
10. Michael Weyman
11. Nathan Hindmarsh (c)
12. Anthony Watmough
13. Luke Lewis

14. Kade Snowden
15. Tom Learoyd Lahrs
16. Paul Gallen
17. Greg Bird

With Kimmorley only in place of Pearce because of injury, once Pearce returned he'd come into the side.

I reckon both the fans and the media would've gotten behind that team and if nothing else I'd expect them to give the Blues at least something to cheer about and be proud of, even in defeat.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Dude, I only cited it as an example of a poor selection, I never said it was their worst ;-)

I like that side and agree with all but 1 selection: Jamie "I want to be exempt from Origin" Lyon. He should not be in a Sky Blue jersey ever imo given his attitude but thats just me

Big Pete

Referee
Ha don't worry it wasn't a shot at you, I've just heard from others.

From all reports Lyon had a pretty good reason to ask for exemption - his kid was gravely ill at the time. The media just spun it the other way.

Who would you of had in his place? Jennings? Lawrence?

adamkungl

Immortal
I agree with Pete on there being 20 'right' teams for NSW - the point is that the selectors never pick a single one of them.

bingo. Should start a betting pool for the token f**ked selection of SOO1 2011 - I reckon Timana Tahu on the bench...

The 18th Man

Juniors
The problem over the past five years in no particular order; the selectors, the coaching staff, the players...did I miss anybody? All share equal blame for the mess that is the NSW Blues. I do not subscribe to portioning blame to one or two individuals, ALL, have contributed.

I hope our coach campaigns for City vs. Country to return to being a true selection trial too. Whilst Queenslanders laugh at this game in some respects given we in the good old days we had our best players smashing each other pre Origin, I think some old school values and traditions will do us the world of good.

Talanexor

Juniors
There is only one thing that needs to change to allow NSW to win an Origin series.

Just institute the All Stars voting system. The fans couldn't possibly pick a worse team than the selectors have over the last 5 years. So the only way is up!

Big Pete

Referee
Y'know this might take a little effort to organise but I wouldn't mind seeing who LU would vote into a Blues side.

timka4

Bench
just create 17 different polls, 1 for each position and then you will find your answer Pete :D

Chook Norris

First Grade
Sticky is the sort of coach that works will with a team at the top of their game. Intense, keeps them fired up. Not the sort of coach I'd want developing a young side, but is perfect for Origin imo

agree with you 100%

not a career coach, but facilitates motivation and confidence within a team in a short period of time imo

adamkungl

Immortal
Centre obviously.

Got to accomodate for Dugan, Morris and Jennings because they're fully sick.

lol...Seriously though...

Dugan
Hayne
Lyon
Lawrence
Morris

Y'know this might take a little effort to organise but I wouldn't mind seeing who LU would vote into a Blues side.

Doesn't someone do this every year? Or is that for player of the year? Same concept really...

Big Pete

Referee
Dally M player, and I think that's only happened once.

And not really, most of the awesome players are Queenslanders. :)

Also, I really don't know why you would persist with Morris...he was terrible for the Blues in 2010.

Latest posts