What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stuart has blue print of Origin revival

adamkungl

Immortal
He's apparently good or something...he can even set up tries when both feet are over the sideline, NSW could really use that sorta skill

typicalfan

Coach
It doesn't matter how strong a side is on paper, all that matters is that it is put together with the intention of attacking QLD. The main reason the QLD side looks so much better on paper is because the team has been nurtured. It was nurtured long before they won in 2006.

Problem is that we have a lack of experience in the front row as well now mainly because the selectors change their mind like the tide. Some players just aren't up to the challenge either, guys like Ben Creagh for example.

The 18th Man

Juniors
Dally M player, and I think that's only happened once.

And not really, most of the awesome players are Queenslanders. :)

Also, I really don't know why you would persist with Morris...he was terrible for the Blues in 2010.

We had too in 2010 after blooding him in 2009, I applaud selectors for sticking with a young bloke who event the most ardent Dragons fan would confirm he has struggled in making the step up from NRL.

Why do selectors persist?

1. His superb tries scored to games played for St George Illawarra and Australia (although that will cop a hammering outside Brent Tate).

2. Age.

3. Speed.

4. Size.

5. Long term potential.

With all that said, Morris was horrible this series outside that overrated hack Matt Cooper. Defensively, they came up short and QLD targeted their side of the field.

We have wing alternates in 2011 and Morris is no shoe in for the jersey if only because he is incumbent for NSW and Australia. I think he will be given another crack for NSW and I hope he finds that Dragons form early.

Mong

Post Whore
To be fair to Morris it was more Cooper who was having a shocker.. His involvement was certainly down but that was a similar story to a number of the blues.

I'd be surprised if they didn't persist with him next year.

The 18th Man

Juniors
To be fair to Morris it was more Cooper who was having a shocker.. His involvement was certainly down but that was a similar story to a number of the blues.

I'd be surprised if they didn't persist with him next year.

Cooper AND Morris had shockers. It was just his lack of involvement, it was all round game and in defence he was caught out more often than we would have liked by the Queensland backline. Not good enough when you're playing outside a team mate from club level. The pressure cooker of Origin got to him in my opinion.

I too would be surprised if they didn't select Morris for game one, I think it's a certainty though I don't think he is a certainty for the series, just the opener barring injury. I think he is a really, really good winger who can break out at Origin level. Next year might be his year minus Cooper.

If NSW are serious about winning then Morris HAS to go. Doesn't do anything flash, just a rubbish finisher. That goes with all Dragons bar Weyman, but even then, there are better options.

1. Jarryd Hayne
2. Aku Uate
3. Michael Jennings
4. Jamie Lyon
5. Michael Gordon

Should be the backline bar injuries.

The 18th Man

Juniors
As the above post shows, we HAVE options on the wing (Hayne is to be in the mix their too as I don't believe he is ensured the number one although I believe we looekd better for it last year when he went from wing to fullback. Dugan will have something to say about that though). I don't think incumbency will ensure Morris is selected though I'd be surprised if he didn't play game one. The start to the season by some of his rivals will be of interest, especially Uate who I feel will have his supporters and rightfully so.

BDGS

Bench
not that i give a sh*t but

1. Brett Stewart
2. Aku Uate
3. Michael Jennings
4. Jamie Lyon
5. Jarryd hayne

mrpwnd

Bench
We had too in 2010 after blooding him in 2009, I applaud selectors for sticking with a young bloke who event the most ardent Dragons fan would confirm he has struggled in making the step up from NRL.

Why do selectors persist?

1. His superb tries scored to games played for St George Illawarra and Australia (although that will cop a hammering outside Brent Tate).

2. Age.

3. Speed.

4. Size.

5. Long term potential.

With all that said, Morris was horrible this series outside that overrated hack Matt Cooper. Defensively, they came up short and QLD targeted their side of the field.

We have wing alternates in 2011 and Morris is no shoe in for the jersey if only because he is incumbent for NSW and Australia. I think he will be given another crack for NSW and I hope he finds that Dragons form early.
Doesn't Morris usually play outside of Coops for the Dragons anyway? Rather than blaming it on the centre I'd just say that Morris lacks the ability to do anything when his side is either evenly matched or losing.
Great finisher, but lacks creativity and has no idea how to get involved in general play. Maybe our inept halves of 2010 were to blame for that, but they were hardly worse than our 2009 ones where Hayne played best on the left wing.

Joe's Magpies

Juniors
I cant believe people are leaving out Lawrence. The guy is a try scoring machine and his defence is rock solid.The centre pairing should be Lawrence & Jennings.

mrpwnd

Bench
I cant believe people are leaving out Lawrence. The guy is a try scoring machine and his defence is rock solid.The centre pairing should be Lawrence & Jennings.
Don't they both usually play left centre for their respective clubs?
I'd have Beau Champion on the right and the left will be a fight between Lawrence and Jennings.

timka4

Bench
Depends if Champion bounces back. He was great early this year, but the injury might take him abit of time to come back to form.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Would it be that inconcievable to have:

4. Lawrence
5. Jennings

That would be a deadly left hand side attack

mrpwnd

Bench
Would it be that inconcievable to have:

4. Lawrence
5. Jennings

That would be a deadly left hand side attack
That seems okay, Jennings isn't built like a centre for mine.
But has he ever played on the wing? His defense is suspect enough as it is, he'll get caught out even more if he's inexperienced on the wing.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Im pretty sure he debuted on the wing outside Gordon back in '07. He and Gordon often chop and change positioning during games as I remember Jennings scoring a pearler down the touchline after recieving a fantastic draw and pass from Gordon.

The 18th Man

Juniors
Brett Morris had a good night for Australia against Sam Perrett. A reminder as to why we need to persist with this guy.

Just on performances, it was really encouraging to see the NSW contingent out there for Australia putting in really good performances against the Kiwis. I don't think any of the Blues were ordinary and our new coach will be over the moon to see them putting in against the might of NZ. I liked Farrah off the bench, his combination with Lawrence for that try was superb. He looked good in limited time and will continue to push Ennis.

Todd Carney handled the step up to Test level with little fuss. Gallen led from the front, still had a penalty in him, but he has been excellent all season from where I sit. Chris Lawrence was good on debut. Big TLL goes from strength to strength, Dean Young doesn't look out of place at rep level.

Promising signs for 2011.

Latest posts