What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stuart has blue print of Origin revival

Joker's Wild

Coach
I mostly agree there 18th, great stuff from the NSW lads. My only concern was some of the defence from Carney. He seemed to struggle with the NZ backrowers all night.

The 18th Man

Juniors
I mostly agree there 18th, great stuff from the NSW lads. My only concern was some of the defence from Carney. He seemed to struggle with the NZ backrowers all night.

True, though he ain't selected for his defensive prowess. The NZ game plan was to target Carney as they do Lockyer, nothing new. He was going to miss some tackles out there.

timka4

Bench
Exactly, I thought the NSW players in the squad really took over the game from the 30th minute and beyond. They showed a bit of confidence in themselves for once. Haven't seen it in a while.

Farah was the standout for us (Out of the NSW blokes and aside from Gallen). Although he played little time, he didn't look nervous or out of place, unlike previous test and the origin displays. Farah will grow in confidence in the representative arena.

If he is picked next year, hopefully he can reach his West Tigers level ASAP, and help relieve some pressure from our young halves with some of his own creativity.

TLL is a machine as well. Someone who can definitely match it with Scott and Shillo in the future.

Exactly, I thought the NSW players in the squad really took over the game from the 30th minute and beyond. They showed a bit of confidence in themselves for once. Haven't seen it in a while.

Farah was the standout for us (Out of the NSW blokes and aside from Gallen). Although he played little time, he didn't look nervous or out of place, unlike previous test and the origin displays. Farah will grow in confidence in the representative arena.

If he is picked next year, hopefully he can reach his West Tigers level ASAP, and help relieve some pressure from our young halves with some of his own creativity.

TLL is a machine as well. Someone who can definitely match it with Scott and Shillo in the future.
Totally agree with that, however someone like Jamal Idris offers exactly the same attributes as him yet no one is keen to pick him !

Lets look at the comparison
They are both the same size, they are just as strong as each other but Jamal is harder to put away, they can both put on a big shot, but struggle with players that have good footwork. Jamal is faster too. I don't understand why no one picked him i mean, i watched his first game in the second row and he was up against TLL and i feel he got the better of TLL, but wht does no one pick him?????

Totally agree with that, however someone like Jamal Idris offers exactly the same attributes as him yet no one is keen to pick him !

They are both the same size, they are just as strong as each other but Jamal is harder to put away, they can both put on a big shot, but struggle with players that have good footwork. Jamal is faster too. I don't understand why no one picked him i mean, i watched his first game in the second row and he was up against TLL and i feel he got the better of TLL, but wht does no one pick him?????

Because he's defensively poor at reading plays and can be lazy and we have an abundance of better backrowers to choose from?

Spot On

Coach
Now NSW have a 5/8 (Carney) with some actual skill we still need a prop rotation worthy of playing Origin. This has been and will remain our biggest problem area. No go forward - except for Gallen and Bird when they were finally picked together. TLL is an auto selction. Just need three more to go with him.

chefman21

Juniors
Now NSW have a 5/8 (Carney) with some actual skill we still need a prop rotation worthy of playing Origin. This has been and will remain our biggest problem area. No go forward - except for Gallen and Bird when they were finally picked together. TLL is an auto selction. Just need three more to go with him.

We have an abundance of good props. What we haven't had is many of them really stand up and say pick me. TLL and Weyman in the last couple of games finally stood up. I thought Mannah was good and looks a 10 year player. We just need some consistency, and one of Grant, Snowden, Douglas, Galloway etc to really show the goods.

chefman21

Juniors
He's bad defensively in the centes, but that wouldn't be the case in the second row

BTW
If he offers exactly what TLL, then why would you not want more of it ?????

The good thing with him playing in the second row at the moment is that he HAS to defend. It should help his awareness and technique for a later move back into the centres. I just think there are so many good second rowers around now that he would be wasted as a long term second rower - especially at rep level. I'd give him a season and a half in the second row and then move him back.

mrpwnd

Bench
Brett Morris had a good night for Australia against Sam Perrett. A reminder as to why we need to persist with this guy.

Just on performances, it was really encouraging to see the NSW contingent out there for Australia putting in really good performances against the Kiwis. I don't think any of the Blues were ordinary and our new coach will be over the moon to see them putting in against the might of NZ. I liked Farrah off the bench, his combination with Lawrence for that try was superb. He looked good in limited time and will continue to push Ennis.

Todd Carney handled the step up to Test level with little fuss. Gallen led from the front, still had a penalty in him, but he has been excellent all season from where I sit. Chris Lawrence was good on debut. Big TLL goes from strength to strength, Dean Young doesn't look out of place at rep level.

Promising signs for 2011.
Outplaying Sam Perrett is hardly a feat worthy of guaranteed rep selection.
I'd rest easier knowing Morris came in on the back of a strong CvC performance for 2011.

The good thing with him playing in the second row at the moment is that he HAS to defend. It should help his awareness and technique for a later move back into the centres. I just think there are so many good second rowers around now that he would be wasted as a long term second rower - especially at rep level. I'd give him a season and a half in the second row and then move him back.
The problem with his defence is not really him not wanting to defend, but it's more along the lines of him not being able to defend. His lateral movement is awful, and he struggles when quick players get on the outside of him. But i don't think that would be as big of a problem in the second row. And yea you have a good point about there being so many good second rowers like Gallen, Bird, Lewis and Watmough who i think wwould all be there. However i'm just interested to see how well Lewis And Watmough will play, because i've never seen Lewis really stand up at origin, and Watmough only played really well in game 3 2009, which i think was a Queensland side that were on party drugs. Gallen and Bird have to be there no questions asked!

adamkungl

Immortal

Wow talk about delusional.

TLL is a much better player than Idris. No contest

timka4

Bench
Watmough has been down on form this year, including rep level games. So far in the 4 nations and the 1-2 games of origin he played this year (can't remember how many he played) he hasn't stood up in either series. Watmough could easily be replaced as we have a couple of back rowers who could do the job for us. I suppose we are hoping next season he has fewer injuries and returns to his 09 form.

I wouldn't be disappointed if Idris was selected on the bench to play purely second row and was selected over a couple of years.

But the one of the main negatives of Idris IMO (and I'm not sure if it's just me) is that his attitude towards origin is fairly relaxed. Anyone else agree?

Watmough has been down on form this year, including rep level games. So far in the 4 nations and the 1-2 games of origin he played this year (can't remember how many he played) he hasn't stood up in either series. Watmough could easily be replaced as we have a couple of back rowers who could do the job for us. I suppose we are hoping next season he has fewer injuries and returns to his 09 form.

I wouldn't be disappointed if Idris was selected on the bench to play purely second row and was selected over a couple of years.

But the one of the main negatives of Idris IMO (and I'm not sure if it's just me) is that his attitude towards origin is fairly relaxed. Anyone else agree?
Not just to origin, he is generally a very relaxed guy. He's got all the potential in the world, the problem is that he is a lazy f*ck. If he lost a bit of weight imagine how good he would be. The guy is a monster, he's only 19 and usually it takes 3-4 guys to take him down. When i saw that picture of him i was like WT*, he's getting paid like $250,000 a year and he's a professional athelete, the least he could do is get in shape!

chefman21

Juniors
The problem with his defence is not really him not wanting to defend, but it's more along the lines of him not being able to defend. His lateral movement is awful, and he struggles when quick players get on the outside of him. But i don't think that would be as big of a problem in the second row. And yea you have a good point about there being so many good second rowers like Gallen, Bird, Lewis and Watmough who i think wwould all be there. However i'm just interested to see how well Lewis And Watmough will play, because i've never seen Lewis really stand up at origin, and Watmough only played really well in game 3 2009, which i think was a Queensland side that were on party drugs. Gallen and Bird have to be there no questions asked!

Oh. I didn't mean he didn't want to defend. Rather I meant that he has to do a lot more defensive work in the middle of the park.

I think both Lewis and Watmough have been used poorly in Origin. To me, they are line runners and hole hitters. I think they have been used too much like the meathead forward who tries to break opposition players heads. In my opinion, they would benefit from inside balls and long passes outside their opposition player where they hit holes and/or change the angle of attack. Personally, I would have Lewis in the centres with Hayne outside him (Dugan at fullback).

Bird is a must in Origin. I think he has proven in all his appearances is that he is a big game player who can lift a team. Gallen I'm not so sure. He really does give away some stupid penalties at stupid times.

mrpwnd

Bench
Oh. I didn't mean he didn't want to defend. Rather I meant that he has to do a lot more defensive work in the middle of the park.

I think both Lewis and Watmough have been used poorly in Origin. To me, they are line runners and hole hitters. I think they have been used too much like the meathead forward who tries to break opposition players heads. In my opinion, they would benefit from inside balls and long passes outside their opposition player where they hit holes and/or change the angle of attack. Personally, I would have Lewis in the centres with Hayne outside him (Dugan at fullback).

Bird is a must in Origin. I think he has proven in all his appearances is that he is a big game player who can lift a team. Gallen I'm not so sure. He really does give away some stupid penalties at stupid times.
Sometimes I don't know what to do with Gallen. He plays incredibly well, but has given away the dumbest penalties that may have cost us a few close ones in the past.

Why does his dickhead, penalty-filled brain so hard to coach out of...

chefman21

Juniors
Sometimes I don't know what to do with Gallen. He plays incredibly well, but has given away the dumbest penalties that may have cost us a few close ones in the past.

Why does his dickhead, penalty-filled brain so hard to coach out of...

That's the worst part of the whole lot. He could be absolutely anything in Origin, just as he is in club games. But the thing I remember about him is costing us games.

Yup they have been uesd like meatheads, but i think that was because of the NSW front rowers getting dominated, which left the back rowers having to do the work. It was so bad, i watched Ben Creagh just charging into the line like a million times! Watmough did this quite a bit aswell. yea i agree Lewis at centre and Hayne outside him, but Chris Lawrence is making me have second thoughts, he played quite well against NZ.

BTW inside passes is what NSW really needs, imagine Hayne getting one of those in the clear !

Latest posts