What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stuart should get his own house in order - Bellamy

Shorty

Staff member
Exactly so he's been rightly charged.
Cam Smith's tackle wasn't a grapple,the media might label it that but if I recall correctly he was charged with a grade 1 reckless tackle.
If you can point out some similar tackles like this that got off I'll be happy to agree.

I mean you go on about tackles through the year not being charged,so that should validate him not being charged with a horrendous tackle like that?
He deserves his time.

Cam Smith's tackle wasn't a grapple,the media might label it that but if I recall correctly he was charged with a grade 1 reckless tackle.
If you can point out some similar tackles like this that got off I'll be happy to agree.

I mean you go on about tackles through the year not being charged,so that should validate him not being charged with a horrendous tackle like that?
He deserves his time.

I agree. It wasn't a 'classic' grapple tackle. But I think 'classic' grapple tackles are just as bad as what he did. I suppose it's a matter of opinion. But an arm tight around the neck is just as bad as hands twisting the head

StormChaser

First Grade
But the Sharks players didn't do a tackle like Smith did.
Smith's tackle was out of line,that is why he was suspended.
You don't f**king go for the head of a player and rip it backward when he's already being pushed another way.

God it's so simple.

Er, you can't say one grapple is worse than another. Smith did deserve some kind of reprimand, no-one is saying he shouldn't, what we're pissed about is it appears he is being made an example of when clearly (as shown above) he isn't the only sinner!!

God it's so SIMPLE!!

He deserves his time.

No wait! I have already said I agree with the verdict but I want a bit more consistency in the judiciary. Not many players have been suspended with the grapple tackle this year even though there still exists a lot of grapple tackles. Just watch the games this weekend and take close notice to where the tacklers attack the body of the ball carrier

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
What a load of crap. Still photos? people complain about slow motion distorting the truth and yet 6 Cronulla players should've been suspended on the evidence of still photos?

At least show video of each incident so people can judge the tackles on their merit.

Pass the Ball

Juniors
The two teams to make the grand final will be lucky to name 17 first-graders who are not facing suspension after this weekend...

Shorty

Staff member
Er, you can't say one grapple is worse than another. Smith did deserve some kind of reprimand, no-one is saying he shouldn't, what we're pissed about is it appears he is being made an example of when clearly (as shown above) he isn't the only sinner!!

God it's so SIMPLE!!
It was a grade 1 reckless tackle,that isn't a grapple.
So I'm not saying one grapple is worse than another...

Perhaps you should have read that instead of trying hard to think of a smartass comeback:roll:

cb4

First Grade
wow bellamy released 6 photos of our boys doin a grapple, i bet you could get 6 photos a half in storm games

Ice777

Bench
It was a grade 1 reckless tackle,that isn't a grapple.
So I'm not saying one grapple is worse than another...

Perhaps you should have read that instead of trying hard to think of a smartass comeback:roll:

He was charged with grade one contrary conduct which can be categorized under many things but in this instance it was making unnecessary contact with the head or neck ie grapple.

If they didn't class this one as a grapple and was something different as you say, he wouldn't have received the carry over points he racked up for a similar offence earlier in the year which they also classed as a grapple.

Special K

Coach
6 over a whole year would make us the most well behaved team in the NRL!

Thanks Craig

bellamy-and-bennett.jpg

Shorty

Staff member
He was charged with grade one contrary conduct which can be categorized under many things but in this instance it was making unnecessary contact with the head or neck ie grapple.

If they didn't class this one as a grapple and was something different as you say, he wouldn't have received the carry over points he racked up for a similar offence earlier in the year which they also classed as a grapple.
If Smith had performed a classic grapple,I'm not sure we would be having a conversation about it.
This was always going to be a charge because it looked horrific,was illegal and had an illegal technique attached to it.
There was no way he was getting off.

StormChaser

First Grade
If Smith had performed a classic grapple,I'm not sure we would be having a conversation about it.
This was always going to be a charge because it looked horrific,was illegal and had an illegal technique attached to it.
There was no way he was getting off.

For the last time! nobody has said he would get off or should get off. We are saying there are others just as guilty and he is being made an example of!

Is that simple enough for you?

Shorty

Staff member
And I'm saying,find footage of another tackle where the player attempts to dominate him by pulling his head backward while he's getting pushed in the opposite direction.

I agree Stormchaser... I have no issues with Cam being suspended for that tackle - IF, it had been dealt with all year. The NRL did nothing about it all year basically, and then decide to charge him and make an example of him midway through the finals. This is not the time for a crackdown, and if it is, then crackdown on all clubs. NRL on Fox for the last 2 weeks has shown many examples of grapple tackles/chicken wings from the first week of the finals, particularly the Manly v St George game, but no crackdown there...
It is a clear inconsistency. I'd be happy for all players to be charged and suspended for grapple tackles as that appears the only way to get rid of it. But that needs to be all players from all clubs, not just the ones the media decide are the problem

meltiger

First Grade
It's just gamesmanship from Stuart and Bellamy took the bait- in the build up to the biggest game of the Storm's season, the week already disrupted by the judiciary, he should be ignoring this stuff.

Spot on,

I can see his annoyance in Stuart coming out and saying something ... If I were the Storm's op coach this week I probably would have kept out of the debate as obviously your view right or wrong would be Smith should be suspended ;-)

At the end of the day though, regardless of how many other clubs may do it ... The Storm have been warned for 2 years to stop this kind of tackle, and their players continued to do it.

The fact that Smith may miss a chance to be a double premiership captain is simply his own fault. They were warned over and over. Maybe now they will finally heed the call to cut this sh*t out of their game.

StormChaser

First Grade
And I'm saying,find footage of another tackle where the player attempts to dominate him by pulling his head backward while he's getting pushed in the opposite direction.

*sigh* Just because I have time to stalk you, doesn't mean I have time to trawl through archives finding evidence of other grapples and sh*t.:lol:

f**k it who cares. Smith got what he deserved. Bellamy is a cry baby sook who is defelecting from his teams grubbiness and the fans will do the same thing.

If the NRL is serious then we may have seen the last of this bullsyte on the field as they have now set teh standard. maintaining it is the challenge and I hope they do, wether its a shark player or any other club.

These tackles (and I agree many clubs are guilty of copying Melbourne tactics to compete) are at best ruining the game and at wosrt are going to seriously injure someone.

Who knows Cam Smith may go down in history as the player who pioneered the way forward in erradicating the grapple

Last edited:

Latest posts