What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suncorp Stadium on Fire

Joker's Wild

Coach
QEII doesnt have a pitch, it was converted for beachvolleyball and athletics use years ago. There is some grass but not much

Ballymore has been sandbagged but is right next to Enoggera creek, a pretty big outlet into the Brissy river and last I saw a fair chunk of Kedron and Herstons lower areas were flooded. I doubt it could be used

Last edited:

applesauce

Bench
Ballymore couldn't hold anywhere near the capacity for a Round 1 Local Derby.

Think of all the Broncos members/corporates and Suncorp Boxes who would miss a game if it was played anywhere other than Suncorp (Ballymore has no PT either).

Suncorp Stadium will also not want to miss out of the revenue and the logical thing to do would be to swap the venues for the 2 Broncos vs Cowboys games this year.

The Tank

Bench
Ballymore couldn't hold anywhere near the capacity for a Round 1 Local Derby.

Think of all the Broncos members/corporates and Suncorp Boxes who would miss a game if it was played anywhere other than Suncorp (Ballymore has no PT either).

Suncorp Stadium will also not want to miss out of the revenue and the logical thing to do would be to swap the venues for the 2 Broncos vs Cowboys games this year.

Agreed.

Slackboy72

Coach
I would prefer not considering how hard the pitch is coming off the cricket season. Could see a few injuries and sore bodies for the next couple of games.

It would work otherwise IMO.

You do know that we've had drop in pitches in this country for quite a while now don't you?

Id have serious doubt's an NRL field could there at the moment, especially the in-goals considering there appears very little room from the soccer linemarking to the running oval.

Not necessarily claiming that it could be - but there's clearly plenty of grass.

Olympic Park, Melbourne managed to have a full-length RL field by employing some patches of tempoary grass over the running track. Not sure if such could be employed at QSAC in a short period of time.

In any case the Gabba would be a much better temporary solution than QSAC these days, even with the obvious limitations related to a cricket ground.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Olympic Park, Melbourne managed to have a full-length RL field by employing some patches of tempoary grass over the running track.

only problem was, those grass patches were owned by greg inglis and their salary was $50,000 per year.

_Johnsy

Referee
again why cant QEII be used

To me it's a no brainer 2 QLD teams playing (NRL fundraiser for floods) capacity crowd of 48,500. I imagine it would be a sellout. It is the next biggest stadium in QLD, still fairly close to the city (12km according to google maps).

Surely this is the best option considering recent events.

Last edited:

chefman21

Juniors
They really can't rush Suncorp Stadium repairs I don't think. Apart from the obvious hygiene and structural/facility questions raised, there is going to be well over six months cleaning up to do within the city and surrounds to get it functioning normally again. The NRL/A-League/Union etc etc needs to take a very low priority as far as I'm concerned. If that means they have to move to different stadiums then so be it.

Canard

Immortal
There wouldn't be facilities for corporate's, catering contracts etc, also the public transport is poor at best and its a 1980's stadium (aluminium bench seating). And from someone who went there frequently its a crap place to watch footy.

It would be unfair for Suncorp to lose a game if you ask me, if they swap games with the Cowboys no-one loses.

_Johnsy

Referee
There wouldn't be facilities for corporate's, catering contracts etc, also the public transport is poor at best and its a 1980's stadium (aluminium bench seating). And from someone who went there frequently its a crap place to watch footy.

It would be unfair for Suncorp to lose a game if you ask me, if they swap games with the Cowboys no-one loses.

Fair points.

Surely the corporates, catering companies, spectator comfort, transport queues, could all take one for the greater good. Although I think the swap option is more realistic.

LeagueNut

First Grade
They really can't rush Suncorp Stadium repairs I don't think. Apart from the obvious hygiene and structural/facility questions raised, there is going to be well over six months cleaning up to do within the city and surrounds to get it functioning normally again. The NRL/A-League/Union etc etc needs to take a very low priority as far as I'm concerned. If that means they have to move to different stadiums then so be it.
I'm happy to volunteer Eden Park for a State of Origin game if that helps.