What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suncorp Stadium on Fire

Timbo

Staff member
Anybody who says Lang Park is the heart of the city and should be fixed as soon as possible... I'm sorry, you're a category-A f**kwit.

If there is even one family out of their home, it should be the priority.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They'll use that opening game as a memorial/rememberance event and pretty much sure it will sell out now. Sport is a great healer and people will be desperate for some respite from the misery. As I said before getting the Saints back to new Orleans after Katrina was a major healer for the devistated city. I am sure tradies will be flying in from all over the country to earn some serious dough over the next couple of months.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Its not necessarily that simple. Suncorp could have some serious damage that needs immediate repairs. If that damage isnt repaired sooner rather then later, worst case scenario, Suncorp will have structural damage. It could and I dare say it will be more feasible to repair the stadium sooner rather then later.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
They'll use that opening game as a memorial/rememberance event and pretty much sure it will sell out now. Sport is a great healer and people will be desperate for some respite from the misery. As I said before getting the Saints back to new Orleans after Katrina was a major healer for the devistated city. I am sure tradies will be flying in from all over the country to earn some serious dough over the next couple of months.

Yep, and when they won the Superbowl in 09, it symbolized that the city had came back stronger then ever. I can see a similar situation happening in Queensland now.

roopy

Referee
Sorry roopy, seeing what I've seen there's no comparison. The water in Brisbane has far more effluent and other contamination than what the Newcastle/CC floods were.

Having lived through the Newcastle floods and having seen the footage and spoken to people in Queensland about the current situ - I can assure you the Newcastle/CC floods were NOTHING compared to what Qld is suffering through right now.
Try to switch your brain on.
I presented what happened at Newcastle without spin to show that footy grounds recover far quicker than you would think - due to the nature of modern grounds - designed to shake off the effects of weather with best possible drainage and weather resistant construction materials.
At no point did i say the situations were EXACTLY the same.
To completely dumb it down for you, i don't think it will be ready for play in 3 days, but i do think it will be ready far quicker than you would at first think.

Timbo

Staff member

I'm sorry, how many games did the New Orleans Saints play in New Orleans the season directly after Hurricane Katrina?

Timbo

Staff member
For the record, Ballymore got through undamaged. It would be grossly irresponsible for any resources that could go to people getting back into their homes going towards Lang Park when there is a 25,000 seat stadium available as an emergency substitute.

If the Broncos have to have smaller crowds for 2011 as a result then so be it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm sorry, how many games did the New Orleans Saints play in New Orleans the season directly after Hurricane Katrina?

the point being that their stadium was virtually destroyed but the city wanted them back ASAP so the stadium rebuild became a priority for the community. It was reopen a long time before many other things in the city were sorted, which was the point of this discussion!

chefman21

Juniors
It might have being a priority if there weren't other options. But there are. So I think that settles it. Football doesn't HAVE to be played out of that stadium. Which makes it a low priority.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nah your right. Let's spend millions on a stadium when peoples homes and businesses have been obliterated.

1. we don't know extent of damage
2. its insured
3. its going to cost billions so a million here or there will be nothing
4. Its unlikely the State Govt is going to pay for everyones house to be repaired!

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
FFS it will not be a government priority, ol' Timbo whos horse is high and shyte don't smell does not seem to understand the stadium operators and employees will do the work.

Timbo

Staff member
You don't think the contractors whose work will be essential to fixing Suncorp couldn't be focussed better elsewhere?

For the record, my brother lives and works in Auchenflower and has been affected by the floods. If one one hundredth of a resource gets moved away from him and people like him so a bloody football match can be held then what the hell is going on?

Perth Red

Post Whore
mate stop stressing about something that might never happen! If it turns out they ignore the plight of home owners to sort out Suncorp then get on your high horse, till then its all supposition.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
You don't think the contractors whose work will be essential to fixing Suncorp couldn't be focussed better elsewhere?
I am sure they will go where they get paid to. The whole area needs cleaning, homes, businesses, you know like the business that is Lang Park, that employees many who will still be required to have an income, who may not live in those suburbs, but may live in goodna which is also farked, but they need thier wage to fix thier stuff.

How many people get paid on game day? How many of them need thier job to pay morgages etc.

As I have said, Lang Park will not be a government priority, but it will be to the people who work, it is thier livelyhood.

beagle

Juniors
While you are thinking, think about the excellent drainage built into modern sports grounds and the fact that stands are made of concrete and plastic to withstand the weather.

I thought EAS would be out of action for months, but apart from debris in the carpark, you wouldn't have known there was a flood three days later.

Even if all the grass is killed off and needs to be replaced, it took about 10 days to roll out the sportsturf and bed it down good enough for a soccer game earlier this year.

If they really want to do it, they can fix nearly anything in a few weeks on a modern sports stadium. They are built that way deliberately.

EAS carpark 3 days after the flood, showing debris from floodwaters.

shipwreck037-1.jpg

Are you seriously putting this photo up to compare it with what Brisbane has been through? Yep, OK then.

Last edited: