What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suncorp Stadium on Fire

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
I really wouldn't be too upset if they moved Queensland base Origin and Test games to regional areas. Origin at Dairy Farmers wouldn't be such a bad thing.

Eden is in NZ, not unless you meqn the Eden down the far south coast of NSW.

The Aussie Eden would'nt have a hope of holding a JB cup game, let alone a SOO.

Eden in NZ could though.

You're from the southern states aren't you :lol:

chefman21

Juniors
Eden is in NZ, not unless you meqn the Eden down the far south coast of NSW.

The Aussie Eden would'nt have a hope of holding a JB cup game, let alone a SOO.

Eden in NZ could though.

You're from the southern states aren't you :lol:

Huh? I was expanding on your point about moving games to different areas? You're a Kiwi aren't you? :lol: #-o

roopy

Referee
When Newcastle had a flood a few years ago there was 18 inches of water in EAS, and I went to watch a game of NYC there 3 days later.
Pretty wet game, but no real worries.
The water didn't get up to the seats though.
EAS 3 days after being 18 inches under water - still raining on and off.
flegg034.jpg

Last edited:

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Huh? I was expanding on your point about moving games to different areas? You're a Kiwi aren't you? :lol: #-o

Not a Kiwi, but would have no problem with them holding a big game.

Regional areas haven't got the capacity to do this, not 1 city, NZ does if we need to move games.

Timbo

Staff member
May have to move the big games to the Gabba, smaller ones to Ballymore.

Suncorp would have to be a low priority fix.

beagle

Juniors
When Newcastle had a flood a few years ago there was 18 inches of water in EAS, and I went to watch a game of NYC there 3 days later.
Pretty wet game, but no real worries.
The water didn't get up to the seats though.
EAS 3 days after being 18 inches under water - still raining on and off.
flegg034.jpg

18 inches of relatively clean rain water at EAS. 4+ metres of dirty river water,raw sewrage,silt at Suncorp Stadium. Let me think, what's worse?

applesauce

Bench
May have to move the big games to the Gabba, smaller ones to Ballymore.

Suncorp would have to be a low priority fix.

Considering the largest insurance agency in Australia owns the naming rights to the stadium you would think (especially now) Suncorp would want it back up and running ASAP to get exposure and recoup some $$$.

chefman21

Juniors
Considering the largest insurance agency in Australia owns the naming rights to the stadium you would think (especially now) Suncorp would want it back up and running ASAP to get exposure and recoup some $$$.

Considering they aren't a construction company and the public outcry would be huge, you would think they have no choice.

roopy

Referee
18 inches of relatively clean rain water at EAS. 4+ metres of dirty river water,raw sewrage,silt at Suncorp Stadium. Let me think, what's worse?
While you are thinking, think about the excellent drainage built into modern sports grounds and the fact that stands are made of concrete and plastic to withstand the weather.

I thought EAS would be out of action for months, but apart from debris in the carpark, you wouldn't have known there was a flood three days later.

Even if all the grass is killed off and needs to be replaced, it took about 10 days to roll out the sportsturf and bed it down good enough for a soccer game earlier this year.

If they really want to do it, they can fix nearly anything in a few weeks on a modern sports stadium. They are built that way deliberately.

EAS carpark 3 days after the flood, showing debris from floodwaters.

shipwreck037-1.jpg

Timbo

Staff member

I think if they prioritized a stadium when there are 40,000 f**ked houses they'd be out of business in a hurry.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Sorry roopy, seeing what I've seen there's no comparison. The water in Brisbane has far more effluent and other contamination than what the Newcastle/CC floods were.

Having lived through the Newcastle floods and having seen the footage and spoken to people in Queensland about the current situ - I can assure you the Newcastle/CC floods were NOTHING compared to what Qld is suffering through right now.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Lang Park will not be a government priority, but it will be for the people who run it and work there.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
They could easily just put a spin on it. Give out 35'000 free tickets to flood effected familes for the opening game. That would be a decent reason to quickly repair Suncorp.

Kick off is what? 2 months away? plenty of time for Suncorp to be repaired and im sure it will be.

_Johnsy

Referee
I thik they'll get it ready ASAP, afterall in the cooler months the place is he heart of the city. Will be critical in regards to the feel (heartbeat/vibe/show of strength/uniting effect) of the city.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
They could easily just put a spin on it. Give out 35'000 free tickets to flood effected familes for the opening game. That would be a decent reason to quickly repair Suncorp.

Kick off is what? 2 months away? plenty of time for Suncorp to be repaired and im sure it will be.
I agree. Lang Park is a symbol of pride for Queenslanders, having it back up to scratch quickly, without neglecting vital services, will be a great source of inspiration to the populace. The March 11 Broncos V Cowboys clash would be a great way to honour those who perished and those who suffered and give a battered but proud state something to look forward to.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
The wife and I are heading towards Milton tomorrow to help, doubt Lang Park will be a priority, the News just said the SoO trophey is safe....haha.

f**king should be safe in Sydney.......but I digress, have a broom and mop, and Milton is farked.