What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sunday Roast

Mr Saab

Referee
Happy with no TK. He is a git and has NFI on anything.
Webster is ok.....he is not afraid to step on toes.
Tim Gilbert is a nuffy
McDougal is ok
Ryan is meh

BunniesMan

Immortal
Who did Vossy piss off. Reminds me of Stalin airbrushing people out of photos when he didn't like them anymore.

The Roast used to be the best footy show but since Matty was kicked off the panel has just gotten worse and worse.

Bring back Vossy, Gus, MG and Matty.

Loudstrat

Coach
Didnt see it - but if that's the panel, God help it.

The mix of Voss, Gus, MG with Freddy and Matt Johns worked well - the discussions were well argued and the show moved along well. Damn shame Voss is on the outer - IMHO he is unparalleled in anchoring a show like that.

Channel 9 have lost the plot.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Not the same without MG and Vossy.

But I dont mind with the guys there atm, Ryan and MacDougall.

I do believe however it will die off and it wont be long till Ch 9 decides to reduce it or punt it altogether.

skeepe

Immortal
Big surprise, MacDrugall thinks grapples, chicken wings etc are fair play. Always was, always will be a scumbag.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Didnt see it - but if that's the panel, God help it.

The mix of Voss, Gus, MG with Freddy and Matt Johns worked well - the discussions were well argued and the show moved along well. Damn shame Voss is on the outer - IMHO he is unparalleled in anchoring a show like that.

Channel 9 have lost the plot.
Loudy and BM agree.

That pretty much shows how wrong Channel 9 are.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Theyve lost the plot. You've got the Roast but not as a seperate program. You've got the Footy Show panel sitting their twiddling their thumbs. Whats the point?? Ch 9 are losing it, and I hope they lose the rights.

BunniesMan

Immortal
WTF was that. They've got 4 blokes sitting there for an hour just in case the camera flicks to them for 30 seconds?

Vossy is the kind of tv guy who you might not necessarily like and sometimes gives you the shits but when he's gone you miss him because the blokes that replace him (the commentary gigs as well as the footy show and the roast) aren't half as good.

undertaker

Coach
Theyve lost the plot. You've got the Roast but not as a seperate program. You've got the Footy Show panel sitting their twiddling their thumbs. Whats the point?? Ch 9 are losing it, and I hope they lose the rights.

:lol::lol:I was thinking the exact same thing. Pretty pointless having the show operating the way it is

skeepe

Immortal
1993.... that should have been our year. Damn Stuart's brittle ankle.

How good were the jersies back then?

Loudstrat

Coach
The thing with the old roast was Voss and Gus. Someone made the point in another forum about the amount of ex players getting media gigs. Some blokes, like Sterlo, had the talent to make a go in the media. Most havent. Voss was not an ex player - so he has the talent for media presentation at a level that is acceptable for TV. I imagine Voss would be an excellent MC, and is also a keen observer of the game. Hadley would be too if he didnt think the world celebrated Christmas to honour his birthday.

Gus the ex coach - these guys usually have a fantastic insight into the science of football. The Wok is the same, so was Brian Smith.

They needed to replace Voss and Gus with another professional presenter and another ex coach. Round it out with a few players with a bit of entertainment value and you have a formula.

Throwing 4 nuffies who are mates with the boss aint the way to go.

I still reckon Doug Mulray will be a star in this role. Or HG Nelson.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Oh god, this should be interesting, theyre bringing back the Pass the Ball competition, hosted by Brad Fittler. :lol:

undertaker

Coach
The thing with the old roast was Voss and Gus. Someone made the point in another forum about the amount of ex players getting media gigs. Some blokes, like Sterlo, had the talent to make a go in the media. Most havent. Voss was not an ex player - so he has the talent for media presentation at a level that is acceptable for TV. I imagine Voss would be an excellent MC, and is also a keen observer of the game. Hadley would be too if he didnt think the world celebrated Christmas to honour his birthday.

Gus the ex coach - these guys usually have a fantastic insight into the science of football. The Wok is the same, so was Brian Smith.

They needed to replace Voss and Gus with another professional presenter and another ex coach. Round it out with a few players with a bit of entertainment value and you have a formula.

Throwing 4 nuffies who are mates with the boss aint the way to go.

I still reckon Doug Mulray will be a star in this role. Or HG Nelson.

Good old Uncle Doug. Although he maybe a bit old now (wonder what he's doing nowdays), I do remember that episode of TFS he hosted back in 1997 IIRC when Geoff Toovey was also on the panel. Did a fantastic Tommy Raudonikis impersonation. Generally speaking, he hosted the show very well that night he was filling in for Fatty. I'd be happy to see him back on TFS.

Voss has the talent because he studied media at university and also had years of training. Most of these ex-players (whom as I said in another thread, in Australia, we have a fixation for shoving ex-players in front of a camera, not just in rugby league) have had absolutely no media training or communication skills other than the odd interview they've had to do during their playing career.

Someone else also mentioned how articulate the AFL players are on their Footy Show. I 100% agree with that. I believe that their players have to undergo media training IIRC. The NRL should also adapt a similar initiative, rather than just shoving random nuffies infront of a camera who cannot go more than a few words without saying "Ahhhhhh.....ummmmmm..." all the time.

You cannot have a panel that is exclusively ex-players (e.g. cricket commentary), and neither can you have a panel that is exclusively journos (as you will eventually see that everyone will be outdoing everyone else in trying to make a name for themselves). IMO, you need to have the right balance of ex-players and journos.

Coaches like Brian Smith were very good in commentary. I remember a few games he did on ABC radio back in 2001 and he was very insightful. The coach that has really caught my attention in recent times (mainly attributed to seeing him more on tv) is Matt Elliott. I'm very impressed with him. I didn't think much of him when he was coaching at the Raiders and the Panthers but since he left the Panthers, I've come to realise that he has an outstanding knowledge and understanding of the game, and he'd be useful to have on a Footy show panel or commentary team.

Last edited:

baldie

Juniors
I cant believe how much weaker Farrah is on his right hand side, did not think it would have that much of an effect.

Latest posts