What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super Bowl LIII

AusKnightRKO

First Grade

so i've seen a few breakdowns of some plays in the superbowl and goff was definitely a little timid in the first half on 3rd downs. he didn't seem sure of himself or maybe he was playing too safe so there wouldn't be a turnover. whatever it was, routine plays he would make with his eyes closed during the season became beoken up plays because he was late with the throw.

finally saw the cooks play again. goff was so late with the throw. he was looking at him the whole way. but even then it would have been an easy td throw if he threw a bullet of a pass but the ball floated on him. difficult to see what happened with him there. again you can only put it down to playing timid.

rams should have been 7-3 up and it would have become a different ball game. he can only learn from this and use it to become a better qb in the future.

Yeah that throw is what killed you, he was open for a good 3-4 seconds before he threw it, the one later on was more 50/50 as he was at least covered, but the miss early on is an absolute killer.

Also Coleman turning Edelman into a running 7/11 also didn’t help, he was open all game basically

shiznit

Coach

so i've seen a few breakdowns of some plays in the superbowl and goff was definitely a little timid in the first half on 3rd downs. he didn't seem sure of himself or maybe he was playing too safe so there wouldn't be a turnover. whatever it was, routine plays he would make with his eyes closed during the season became beoken up plays because he was late with the throw.

finally saw the cooks play again. goff was so late with the throw. he was looking at him the whole way. but even then it would have been an easy td throw if he threw a bullet of a pass but the ball floated on him. difficult to see what happened with him there. again you can only put it down to playing timid.

rams should have been 7-3 up and it would have become a different ball game. he can only learn from this and use it to become a better qb in the future.

If you ever get a chance have a listen to the afternoon delight podcast from 95.7 the game in San Francisco.

Greg Papa who’s the long time Raiders caller and now doing the 9ers next season... he had a good breakdown of the game I thought...

He had some interesting observations on Goff...

kurt faulk

Coach
If you ever get a chance have a listen to the afternoon delight podcast from 95.7 the game in San Francisco.

Greg Papa who’s the long time Raiders caller and now doing the 9ers next season... he had a good breakdown of the game I thought...

He had some interesting observations on Goff...

would you mind sharing some.

Eelectrica

Referee
every game is different. this one just happened to be a defensive battle. hats off to the defenses.

you can't say the other teams would have won. would have been totally different games.

This is true too. The Chiefs defense hasn't been able to stop so much as a running hose all season. Rams offense would have certainly looked a lot better going up against that again.

shiznit

Coach
would you mind sharing some.

He thought Goff was actually quite poised... he felt that it was hard for him with Kupp out Gurley obviously not 100%.

He absolutely loves McVay... infact they had his grandad on last week talking about him...

But he also mentioned how McVay was still new in the game... so his offensive schemes aren’t as diverse as someone like Andy Reid or Sean Payton...

But he said that the brilliance in McVay is that the execution of his scheme is the best in the league.

He brought up the outside stretch zone to the left... and how a lot of what the Rams do is predicated on the ability to get that going.

He said that Belichick pretty much used a 6 man front the entire game with Van Noy and Chung setting the edges.

He said McVay took too long to adapt and kept running early which just put Goff under pressure on 3rd down.

He did change it up in the 2nd half but at that point it has knocked Goff’s confidence.

He said the biggest issue was McVay just didn’t adapt well enough to Belichick taking away the outside zone run.

He said with that type of scheme he thought Goff’s might not have been experienced enough maybe skilled enough to recognise what was happening and make adjustments at the line to find out where the holes in the defence are.

He said with a 6 man front... he even had Hightower playing up making it almost a 7 man front... there should have been areas fir them to exploit.

He said he was still poised... he thinks he didn’t crumble... he just felt he couldn’t see the field properly.

He felt that McVay’s system is brilliant... but he thinks that it has limitations at the moment because of Goff.

He said that the Rams will have a big decision on whether to pay him when he’s due... he thought that McVay could find a lot of QB’s who could run his offense and probably allow McVay to do more...

Last edited:

kurt faulk

Coach
He thought Goff was actually quite poised... he felt that it was hard for him with Kupp out Gurley obviously not 100%.

He absolutely loves McVay... infact they had his grandad on last week talking about him...

But he also mentioned how McVay was still new in the game... so his offensive schemes aren’t as diverse as someone like Andy Reid or Sean Payton...

But he said that the brilliance in McVay is that the execution of his scheme is the best in the league.

He brought up the outside stretch zone to the left... and how a lot of what the Rams do is predicated on the ability to get that going.

He said that Belichick pretty much used a 6 man front the entire game with Van Noy and Chung setting the edges.

He said McVay took too long to adapt and kept running early which just put Goff under pressure on 3rd down.

He did change it up in the 2nd half but at that point it has knocked Goff’s confidence.

He said the biggest issue was McVay just didn’t adapt well enough to Belichick taking away the outside zone run.

He said with that type of scheme he thought Goff’s might not have been experienced enough maybe skilled enough to recognise what was happening and make adjustments at the line to find out where the holes in the defence are.

He said with a 6 man front... he even had Hightower playing up making it almost a 7 man front... there should have been areas fir them to exploit.

He said he was still poised... he thinks he didn’t crumble... he just felt he couldn’t see the field properly.

He felt that McVay’s system is brilliant... but he thinks that it has limitations at the moment because of Goff.

He said that the Rams will have a big decision on whether to pay him when he’s due... he thought that McVay could find a lot of QB’s who could run his offense and probably allow McVay to do more...

Thanks for the rundown. Pretty much agree with everything except the last observation. It's not easy to find a qb at all.

I'm not down at all on Goff. He's one of the youngest qbs to ever play in the superbowl. None of them had good games. He was probably the only one that had to go against bellyfat. There were plays to be made but mcvay didn't help him out by going pass happy. He never looked like he felt comfortable.

Losing kupp and Gurley running on 50% was a huge disadvantage. If kupp played the offense would have been so much better.

It was a lost opportunity. The defense was amazing against the cheats but ran out of puff at the end. The difference in the game was gronk made the big play at the end of the game while cooks didn't. It doesn't take much to lose a game. A play here or there is the difference between winning and losing.

shiznit

Coach
Thanks for the rundown. Pretty much agree with everything except the last observation. It's not easy to find a qb at all.

I'm not down at all on Goff. He's one of the youngest qbs to ever play in the superbowl. None of them had good games. He was probably the only one that had to go against bellyfat. There were plays to be made but mcvay didn't help him out by going pass happy. He never looked like he felt comfortable.

Losing kupp and Gurley running on 50% was a huge disadvantage. If kupp played the offense would have been so much better.

It was a lost opportunity. The defense was amazing against the cheats but ran out of puff at the end. The difference in the game was gronk made the big play at the end of the game while cooks didn't. It doesn't take much to lose a game. A play here or there is the difference between winning and losing.

I don’t think he said to necessarily cut bait with Goff... I think he was more meaning that it would really be a decision for McVay.

He said McVay is a coach with a system which could well do good with a vet or maybe even a young mobile QB.

Ultimately i think he said it will all depend on what McVay thinks... he might like Goff a lot... but he didn’t choose Goff... he had no choice but to use him...

He may have other ideas about what he wants for his system.

Me personally... I think he’s turned out MILES better than I originally thought he was gonna be when Jeff Fisher has him.

This is really his 2nd year... I think the first year was a write off... they will just keep an eye on him and how he progresses next season... and if he makes another big jump they will pay him... if not they will probably look at options.

It’s certainly not a bad position to be in...

kurt faulk

Coach
I don’t think he said to necessarily cut bait with Goff... I think he was more meaning that it would really be a decision for McVay.

He said McVay is a coach with a system which could well do good with a vet or maybe even a young mobile QB.

Ultimately i think he said it will all depend on what McVay thinks... he might like Goff a lot... but he didn’t choose Goff... he had no choice but to use him...

He may have other ideas about what he wants for his system.

Me personally... I think he’s turned out MILES better than I originally thought he was gonna be when Jeff Fisher has him.

This is really his 2nd year... I think the first year was a write off... they will just keep an eye on him and how he progresses next season... and if he makes another big jump they will pay him... if not they will probably look at options.

It’s certainly not a bad position to be in...

I can tell you right now that mcvay loves Goff. The rams organisation loves Goff. He will play out his whole career with the rams.

GongPanther

Referee
Turning point was the dropped catch in the end zone by LA which otherwise was an un underwhelming event.

The Saints should have been in that match but for an very bad non-call by the officials.

kurt faulk

Coach

so i had another look at that broken up cooks play in the endzone when he was wide open.

goff wasn't late at all. when you look at the video you see cooks gets open at the 10. the ball is supposed to go to woods running the crosser but a db bites on woods leaving cooks open. by the time goff sees this and delivers the ball cooks is at the 5 yard line.by the time cooks in the endzone the ball is halfway there.

the thing that killed that play was it's proximity to the cheats endzone. cooks is wide open but has to stop at the back of the endzone, that's as far as he can go. this gave the db time to catch up and break up the play. if the play started at the rams 40 cooks could have kept running and the db would have no chance to catch up to him.

just unlucky.

Ron Jeremy

Coach

so i had another look at that broken up cooks play in the endzone when he was wide open.

goff wasn't late at all. when you look at the video you see cooks gets open at the 10. the ball is supposed to go to woods running the crosser but a db bites on woods leaving cooks open. by the time goff sees this and delivers the ball cooks is at the 5 yard line.by the time cooks in the endzone the ball is halfway there.

the thing that killed that play was it's proximity to the cheats endzone. cooks is wide open but has to stop at the back of the endzone, that's as far as he can go. this gave the db time to catch up and break up the play. if the play started at the rams 40 cooks could have kept running and the db would have no chance to catch up to him.

just unlucky.

:D

nick87

Coach
I've looked at that play a lot of times... Goff was late, there maybe reasons he's late. The progressions might be a certain way and this happens a lot...

But if Goff sees him break clear it's a walk in.

kurt faulk

Coach
Hi Kurt whats been happening:D

The rams are back, but for much longer this time round. That was a gut wrenching loss to those f**kwits. The plays were there to be made but they couldn't do it. The gronk makes a crucial catch at the end, cooks didn't. That's all it takes.

Jared Goff will learn from this as he always has in his career and will use it to drive him to get better.

Last Week

Bench
The rams are back, but for much longer this time round. That was a gut wrenching loss to those f**kwits. The plays were there to be made but they couldn't do it. The gronk makes a crucial catch at the end, cooks didn't. That's all it takes.

Jared Goff will learn from this as he always has in his career and will use it to drive him to get better.

What's the salt content that you're made up of?

Latest posts