What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super League 2009 Ins and Outs

Evil Homer

Staff member
As always, this list is for confirmed signings only and 2008 mid-season buys are not included.

Bradford Bulls

Ins: Greg Bird(unattached), Steve Menzies(Manly), Nick Scruton(Leeds), Rikki Sheriffe and Mike Worrincy(both Harlequins)
Outs: Joe Vagana(retired), James Evans and Chris Feather(both Castleford), Simon Finnigan and Keal Carlile(both Huddersfield), Iestyn Harris(Featherstone - coaching staff),

Castleford Tigers

Ins: Ryan Hudson and Stuart Jones(both Huddersfield), Rangi Chase(St George Illawarra), James Evans and Chris Feather(both Bradford), Dean Widders(Souths), Brett Ferres(Wakefield), Kirk Netherton(Hull KR), Sione Faumuina(North Queensland), James Ford(Sheffield Eagles)
Outs: Luke Dorn(Harlequins), Stuart Donlan(Leigh), Awen Guttenbiel(retired), Andrew Henderson(Gateshead), Peter Lupton(Celtic Crusaders), Ned Catic, Marc Leafa and Adam Fletcher(all released), Anthony Thackray(Widnes), Scott Moore and Michael Korkidas(both Huddersfield)

Catalan Dragons

Ins: Steve Bell(Manly), Jason Ryles(St George), Freddie Vaccari(Toulouse), Shane Perry(Brisbane)
Outs: Alex Chan and John Wilson(both retired), Matheiu Griffi(Toulouse), Younes Khattabi(Carpentras)

Celtic Crusaders

Ins: Matty Smith and Ste Tyrer(both St Helens), Peter Lupton(Castleford), Ryan O'Hara(Wests), Mark Bryant(Manly), Lincoln Withers and Marshall Chalk(both Canberra), Adam Peek(Cronulla), Jason Chan (Papua New Guinea)

Harlequins RL

Ins: Mick Nanyn(Oldham), Luke Dorn(Castleford), Chad Robinson(Parramatta), Luke Williamson(Manly), Luke Gale(Doncaster), Ben Kaye(Leeds), Jason Golden(Wakefield), Matt Gardner(Salford)
Outs: Henry Paul(Carnegie RU), Mark McLinden(returned to Australia), Scott Hill(retired), Julien Rinaldi(asked for release), Rikki Sherrife and Mike Worrincy(both Bradford), Lamont Bryan(released/demoted to part time), Joe Walsh(Huddersfield), Dwayne Barker(Halifax), Dave Tootill(Batley)

Huddersfield Giants

Ins: Brett Hodgson(Wests Tigers), Simon Finnigan and Keal Carlile(Bradford), Scott Moore and Michael Korkidas(both Castleford), Gregg McNally(Whitehaven), Shaun Lunt(Workington), Joe Walsh(Harlequins), Josh Griffin(Wakefield reserves), Larne Patrick(unattached)
Outs: Chris Thorman(Hull FC), Ryan Hudson and Stuart Jones(both Castleford), Shane Elford(Penrith), Steve Snitch(Wakefield), John Skandalis and Rod Jensen(both retired)

Hull FC

Ins: Mick Crocker(Melbourne), Chris Thorman(Huddersfield), Mark Calderwood(Wigan), Dominic Maloney(Dewsbury), Sam Moa(Tonga)
Outs: Garreth Carvell(Warrington), Scott Wheeldon(Hull KR), Adam Dykes(released), Matt Sing(retired), James Webster(Widnes), Matty Dale(Featherstone)

Hull KR

Ins: Nick Fozzard(St Helens), Liam Colbon(Wigan), Scott Wheeldon(Hull FC), Ryan Esders(York)
Outs: Chris Chester(retired), Kirk Netherton (Castleford), Garrett Crossman(South Sydney), Jon Steel(Featherstone), Luke Menzies(released)

Leeds Rhinos

Ins: Danny Buderus(Newcastle Knights), Greg Eastwood(Brisbane), Luke Ambler(Salford)
Outs: Gareth Ellis(Wests Tigers), Nick Scruton(Bradford), Clinton Toopi(released), Jordan Tansey(Sydney Roosters), Ben Kaye(Harlequins), Danny Williams(Union)

Salford City Reds

Ins: Ray Cashmere and Mark Henry(both NQ Cowboys), Jeremy Smith(Souths), Luke Swain(Gold Coast), Rob Parker(Warrington), Willie Talau and Dean McGilvray(both St Helens)

St Helens

Ins: Tony Puletua(Penrith)
Outs: Nick Fozzard(Hull KR), Paul Sculthorpe and Mike Bennett(both retired), Matty Smith and Ste Tyrer(both Celtic), Sam Thompson(Widnes), Willie Talau and Dean McGilvray(both Salford)

Wakefield Trinity Wildcats

Ins: Steve Snitch(Huddersfield), James Stosic(Gold Coast)
Outs: Duncan MacGillivary(retired), Brett Ferres(Wakefield), Jason Golden(Harlequins), Paul Reilly(Oldham)

Warrington Wolves

Ins: Garreth Carvell(Hull FC), Mick Higham(Wigan)
Outs: Rob Parker(Salford), Andy Bracek(Barrow)

Wigan Warriors

Ins: Amos Roberts(Sydney Roosters), Mark Riddell(Parramatta)
Outs: Trent Barrett(Cronulla Sharks), Mark Calderwood(Hull FC), Mick Higham(Warrington), Liam Colbon(Hull KR)

Any mistakes/transfers that I have missed, feel free to let me know.

Last edited:

Evil Homer

Staff member
They've apparently signed Ryan O'Hara too, not seen it confirmed by the club yet though.

Evil Homer

Staff member
They are 'close to a deal' but not officially signed yet - I take official to be when it appears on the BBC, Superleague or the club's website as the Aussie papers are not always 100% accurate. I can remember last year Fox were reporting that my club Huddersfield had signed Charlie Tonga, complete with quotes from the Bulldogs, and speaking to people at the Giants they didn't even know who Tonga was :)

Cas have signed Rangi Chase though.

Last edited:

Earl Hickey

Juniors
There's a rumour saying that Souths are close to signing a backrower/prop from the ESL.

Any idea as to who it might be mate?

Evil Homer

Staff member
i thought Bryant had signed with Warrington?
Don't know where you've got that from. Warrington are ok for props and have Paul Wood returning after missing basically the entire season, I would think if they did sign any overseas players they would be much bigger names than Bryant.

Celtic also linked with Ben Vaeau, but still no word. I heard they are waiting to hear the RFL's stance on the number of overseas players they are allowed before announcing any signings.