What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super League GF. Sky Sports coverage

I believe after watching the Super League GF,the Sky Sports coverage absolutely sh*ts all over Channel 9.From the Commentators to the camera angles and pre match talk Sky sports have left Channel 9 for dead.Sterlo and Gould :shock: is the only one's who has any cred,The sooner M.Johns and Ikin are punted the better.

Mr Saab

Referee
Matthew Johns always jokes about everything...the only time he didnt was when his brother was on the footyshow with the drugs drama.
The guy is a joke and should be punted off serious sports shows.

it's not hard to do better than the rubbish that is channel 9. i don't watch ESL so i can't comment on it but i doubt they have any dribbling wankers like voss, johns or ikin so it has to be better. i'd rather listen to rabs call the first friday night game by himself and sterlo the other by himself they're the only ones worth listening to

Misanthrope

Staff member
I was certainly impressed with their coverage. The NRL Grand Final these past few years hasn't really felt as 'epic' as it probably should have. You're going to get fans of the two teams competing in the game watching irregardless - but to a neutral, the coverage really does nothing to excite me about a game like it used to.

Sky's coverage, with the exception of the laboured 'Generals and Infantry' metaphor, hyped me up for the game despite the fact I've only watched a handful of Super League games this year. The atmosphere at Wembley certainly helped matters.

Mr Saab

Referee
Matthew Johns compares this Aust team to the 86 Roos.
Is this guy on drugs? Hmmm dont answer that

eels_fan_01

Bench
Mr Saab said:
Matthew Johns always jokes about everything...the only time he didnt was when his brother was on the footyshow with the drugs drama.
The guy is a joke and should be punted off serious sports shows.

Some humour on a sports coverage, how unusual. Leave him.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
i LOVED the coverage, i watch ESL fairly regularly... and i wish i lived there tbh, i would much rather watch that competition than the NRL, particularly this year with the advent of the 'wrestling'

nqboy

First Grade
I didn't like the moving camera. When the camera's fixed at halfway, you know where the play is on the field without having to think about it and you get a wider angle that shows more of the play.

Hemmings and Stevo are fine as long as you don't take them seriously. They only get annoying when they are talking sh*t and are serious e.g. Leeds up by 13 and Stevo reckons they should've taken the point at the end of a set.

eels_fan_01

Bench
Mr. Fahrenheit said:
i LOVED the coverage, i watch ESL fairly regularly... and i wish i lived there tbh, i would much rather watch that competition than the NRL, particularly this year with the advent of the 'wrestling'

Yeah, 40 all scorelines infront of 3 thousand fans....me too. :crazy:

Copa

Bench
eels_fan_01 said:
Yeah, 40 all scorelines infront of 3 thousand fans....me too. :crazy:

SL crowds average around 10,000 and make about 10 times the noise of an NRL crowd.

I was in the UK earlier this year and watched Wigan Vs St Helens, Hull FC vs Hull KR and Les Cats Vs Harlequins... all in one day at Millenium stadium, Cardiff.

The match day experience was fantastic compared to most nrl games I've been to. The music, the singing, the way the fans danced and carried on as one was something you never see in Australia.

There was more hype and atmosphere than you get here in Oz. Was great fun.

THe Sky coverage come across and fast, fun and exciting also..

Coaster

Bench
Im glad i wasnt the only one who loved that build up.

Awesome stuff by the ESL, they doing a good job of promoting the game over there.

Just little things like the teams logo superimposed over there half, they have been doing for years, but we get this cheap crap telecast from Fox and Nine, with nothing.

I personally loved the General vs Infantry talk, it was a battle, and promoted as such.

Great for the game :clap::clap:

eels_fan_01

Bench
Copa said:
SL crowds average around 10,000 and make about 10 times the noise of an NRL crowd.

I was in the UK earlier this year and watched Wigan Vs St Helens, Hull FC vs Hull KR and Les Cats Vs Harlequins... all in one day at Millenium stadium, Cardiff.

The match day experience was fantastic compared to most nrl games I've been to. The music, the singing, the way the fans danced and carried on as one was something you never see in Australia.

There was more hype and atmosphere than you get here in Oz. Was great fun.

THe Sky coverage come across and fast, fun and exciting also..

An average of 10,000 isnt that great. NRL averages 16 thousand and everyone thinks that is pretty low here.

The point being, you all love the Superleague when you see two matches a week. Its like English people seeing state of origin and thinking the NRL has that standard week to week.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
Personally, 2 things... i didnt like the General V Infantry talk & i believe those who are so grossly uninformed as Eelsfan01, shouldn't have a strong opinion without researched facts. Thats my 2c.

eels_fan_01

Bench
Mr. Fahrenheit said:
Personally, 2 things... i didnt like the General V Infantry talk & i believe those who are so grossly uninformed as Eelsfan01, shouldn't have a strong opinion without researched facts. Thats my 2c.

What do i have to research i watch exactly the same games as you, two a week...in my opinion both of us dont see even half of superleague action so how can you claim its better than the NRL week to week.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
eels_fan_01 said:
What do i have to research i watch exactly the same games as you, two a week...in my opinion both of us dont see even half of superleague action so how can you claim its better than the NRL week to week.

Well ok, match up the SL games to the 2 friday night games. That's a good enough comparison... the best V the best.

eels_fan_01

Bench
Mr. Fahrenheit said:
Well ok, match up the SL games to the 2 friday night games. That's a good enough comparison... the best V the best.

I dont feel it is considering the Superleague talent isnt as evenly spread. 15th vs 16th in the NRL could have a good as a game as 1st vs 2nd in Superleague.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
eels_fan_01 said:
I dont feel it is considering the Superleague talent isnt as evenly spread. 15th vs 16th in the NRL could have a good as a game as 1st vs 2nd in Superleague.

Still, we are debating the style of competition. If you can't see the difference, then there is no point in furthering the discussion.