What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

super league in australia

bluesbreaker

Bench
The worst thing about the Super League is that commentator that somehow needs to remind us all how "Try" is spelt every time someone scores/comes close.

In-goal

Bench
The worst thing about the Super League is that commentator that somehow needs to remind us all how "Try" is spelt every time someone scores/comes close.

If thats the worst thing then i think SL has a pretty bright future

On the topic of super league in oz - i was looking forward to seeing bradford vs hull this arvo on fox sports at 4:30, when suddenly the 4th repeat of souths vs brisbane is shown instead rather then the advertised esl programming. the hell? grrr!

bluesbreaker said:

[in strong Northern Pommie accents]

Commentator 1: Looking at that angle I think it's a try.

Commentator 2: No doubt, this will be a T-R-Y, although I think the crowd would prefer it to be N-O-T-R-Y...

C1: If you don't stop saying T-R-Y or N-O-T-R-Y, I'll have to ask you to P.O.Q...

C2: what are you saying Eddie?

C1: I'm saying you give me the S-H-I-T's,

C2: Well that's not very N-I-C-E...

Sorry about that... clearly I have N.F.I. :lol: ;-)

But remember, our commentators can be pretty annoying at times as well... why does Stirling always have to say the exact phrase "as we freeze play there" and followed by none other than... "as play continues"....

Yossarian

Juniors
A request from a Pom - please don't judge the standard of our competition by the commentators. There is a bit a bit of a debate in the UK whether Mick Stevenson is a harmless fool or bad for the image of the game. I happen to fall in the latter camp, not least because when our games are screened down under is looks amateurish simply through the standard of commentary (It's a pity really because he was truly a great player)

There is no doubt that the standard of the UK game is infinitely higher than it was in '97 and whoever said there was no talent is well wide of the mark. It's young talent that's going to save the UK game - players like Horne and McGuire will be stand out's in the tri-nations while our Academy is providing a conveyor belt of exciting youngsters

I'm not going to be stupid enough to predict a GB win in the tri-nations but what I will say is that over the next three years we will see some fantastic, close games and that will mean the re-emergence of the international game and get everybody in the right mood for the World Cup in '08

Yossarian

In-goal

Bench
Couldn't agree more, although i don't mind some of stevo's comments.

One thing that bugs me is ever since that Joynt incident in the 2002 GF he cries voluntry tackle every 2 minutes

R Friday

Juniors
its the going on about "the one pointer" when there is about 20 minutes left and repeating it any time someone gets remotely near the posts, that annoys me

stevo shacks up with Phil Clarke. Bloody Wigan Poofs

Eddie Hemming is Class.

as is Ray French.

Eddie Support Widnes while French was a player. A bit of a fact.

LOYAL CHEMIC

Juniors
In a nutshell,

Super League is more entertaining than the NRL

But the NRL is of a higher standard of football. Just because its entertaining, it doesn't mean its better.

SL isn't as intense as the NRL though, were it's more of an arm wressle.....

Hate to admit it, but I'd dread to see how my club Widnes come up against Penrith or the Roosters. The top clubs like Bradford and Wigan would do well to make the top eight in Australia.

The annoying thing is that the imports that come over to SL are in truth no better than any current English players.....until we develop our youth, we'll always play catch up to Aus and NZ in International RL.

Nice to hear from nospam49 again as well.....I was beginning to think he had died because of his absence from TotalRL and RLfans! ;-)

LOYAL CHEMIC said:
In a nutshell,

But the NRL is of a higher standard of football. Just because its entertaining, it doesn't mean its better.

Hate to admit it, but I'd dread to see how my club Widnes come up against Penrith or the Roosters. The top clubs like Bradford and Wigan would do well to make the top eight in Australia.

The annoying thing is that the imports that come over to SL are in truth no better than any current English players.....until we develop our youth, we'll always play catch up to Aus and NZ in International RL.

Nice to hear from nospam49 again as well.....I was beginning to think he had died because of his absence from TotalRL and RLfans! ;-)

Im on all the major forums. 8)

Yossarian

Juniors
nospam49 said:
LOYAL CHEMIC said:
In a nutshell,

While the rest of us simply have to make do with a real life!!

Don't bother replying to this by the way, I'm off out on the piss for the weekend now with some mates then I'm on holiday for a week. By the time I get back to work and the Internet this thread will be long gone

To boast that you're on all the major Internet forums is one of the saddest things I've ever heard.

I genuinely mean this - get out more and enjoy some real life

Yossarian said:
nospam49 said:
LOYAL CHEMIC said:
In a nutshell,

While the rest of us simply have to make do with a real life!!

Don't bother replying to this by the way, I'm off out on the piss for the weekend now with some mates then I'm on holiday for a week. By the time I get back to work and the Internet this thread will be long gone

To boast that you're on all the major Internet forums is one of the saddest things I've ever heard.

I genuinely mean this - get out more and enjoy some real life

You sad little snot! :lol:

Four Forums.....geez, where do I find time for a social life. :roll:

Do us all a favour, take your stupid little life somewhere else and never come back. You are nothing but a want to be dweeb! :lol:

R Friday

Juniors
[/quote]The annoying thing is that the imports that come over to SL are in truth no better than any current English players.....until we develop our youth, we'll always play catch up to Aus and
[/quote]

Its about getting the balance right. Some imports add to the game and others don't. The academy system is starting to work as shown by the English schoolboy results and the likes of Horne and McGuire coming through. Some clubs, at the moment, don't have the money or set up to develop youngster and have to rely on imports. So there should be a push to help them.

[/quote] NZ in International RL.[/quote]

With the way things are going it'll be lucky if there is any players left to play for NZ

One thing that SL has over NRL is that players get penalised for back chatting to the ref. Only the captains are allowed to talk to him. The NRL seems to be getting to soccer levels for the amount of abuse the refs have to take.