What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

super league in australia

OVP

Coach
When Nathan Wood is known as a topline player, you know there's something seriously wrong. :lol:

I remember last year they were going off about the form Appo and Wood were in.

There was talk earlier this year that Jason Hooper should be in line for the "Man Of Steel" award for the best player in the competition.

Jason Hooper....a solid player...but a standout! :shock:

Another thing, Castleford are facing relegation and they badly needed to bring someone in to steer the ship.

They signed up 37 year old Brad Davis who is Australian.

Now I dont know about other people here, but I cant ever remember Brad Davis playing first grade in Australia. If he did....it was 20 years ago and he played a couple of games before being punted!

The REALLY sad thing is, he came in and was a standout for Castleford.

Also Gray Viane....St Helens signed him up....as a center! :lol:

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Interesting how the ESL commentators still sound like they wanna root Farrell whenever he gets the ball. :roll:

Jason Hooper wasnt a bad player at the Dragons, I thought he had some class and would still go well in the NRL.

PARRA_FAN said:
Interesting how the ESL commentators still sound like they wanna root Farrell whenever he gets the ball. :roll:

Jason Hooper wasnt a bad player at the Dragons, I thought he had some class and would still go well in the NRL.

Dont get me wrong, Im not bagging Hooper.....

But would he ever get close to being the Dally M Winner?

As for the commentators, their love for Farrell is nothing compared to the way they've carried on over the last four years about Keiron Cunningham! :shock:

PARRA_FAN

Coach
At least Cunningham, when he was playing, really gave it something. Farrell is a dog, does nothing and is hopeless everytime he plays against Australia, isnt he the one with the C next to his name.

PARRA_FAN said:
At least Cunningham, when he was playing, really gave it something. Farrell is a dog, does nothing and is hopeless everytime he plays against Australia, isnt he the one with the C next to his name.

Oh dont worry....you watch Keiron "The shine shines out of my ar$e" Cunningham pick up ANOTHER convenient injury just before the rep games start.

He's a fatter, slower more unfit version of Mark Riddell.

dimitri

First Grade
being an australian

im astounded at the ignorance of some of my fellow aussies

wake up to yourselves guys

....... and that bullshit about keiron cunningham conveniently getting injuries .......farrrrrkkk give me a break

many top australians continuously get injured such as andrew johns

the super league may not be quite at the same level as the nrl

but it certainly is the 2nd best league in the world

You cant pull the wool over my eyes.

I know all about KC. He got injured before "Origin" games, he gets injured before Welsh games, he gets injured before GB games....

I KNOW all about KC and alot of GB fans are starting to wake up to the fact that KC doesnt want to play rep football.

CC_Eagle

First Grade
This sums up ESL..

Kevin McGuiness is playing 5/8 at Salford and is seen to be a god..

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Playing "spot the NRL player from 5 years ago" is a great game!! It's better on TV than it is whilst playing NRL on PS2.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Fairleigh Good! said:
Southernsaint said:
I watched one at about middnight last night, Saints vs Wigan.

It's a lottery, just like coming across a Queensland Cup game.

Cheers,
Ben S.

Out of curiosity what did you make of it? (Cue a hundred posts from Aussie school children about how anything other than the NRL is lame)

Mate, I had just got home from the pub so I was a little...

But seriously, I lived in the UK for two years & went to quite a number of ESL games & always found them entertaining. When any of the Big Four (and Hull this year) play, the standard & intensity are quite high, but whenever one of the "smaller" clubs has to play them, you can see the gulf in skill levels.

If the gap can be narrowed & the genuinely skilful players spreadevenly around the league, than the standard of English footy will improve.

It'll be interesting to see the adition of the French team this year, I hope it's more successful than PSG...

Cheers,
Ben S.

PS: You were right about the school kids ;-)

macavity

Referee
I dont mind the ESL - the big 4 and Hull are awesome teams who would compete for the top 8 over here (remember they usually win the WCC...). After that there is a BIG gulf of talent - the lower teams would get beaten by some of our PL and QLD cup teams...... however they all play with alot of passion and it is great to see the (rare) upsets.

The commentators are also absolutely dreadful - and what is with all the field goals???????

Danny McGuire is an absolute superstar - I wish the Knights would sign him!

Dont be so dismissive guys!

Anonymous

Juniors
ESL is very entertaining.

Offcourse NRL is more intense and more competitive but the conditions, across the board, are different.

What comes around, comes around again.
There'll come a day when the drought is broken and GB will win an Ashes series. The game in the UK will lift and League will be healthier for it.

The ESL will attract more talent and Aussie whingers will then come out saying how the poms are poaching 'our' players.

Hoggy

Bench
English sides would not score against any of the top 8 of the NRL if the games were played on the home grounds of the Australian sides.

Latest posts