What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SuperCoach 2013

Wato

Juniors
This is the team I'm thinking I will go in with, what do you guys think?

1.Hayne
2.Gordon
3.Boyd
4.Beale
5.Locke
6.Marshall
7.Thurston
8.Merrin
9.C.Smith(C)
10.Mason
11.Buhrer
12.Teo
13.Mateo

14.Gidley
15.Sezer
16.Horo
17.N.Smith

Still have 37k in the bank, hoping to use it to trade N.Smith out for T.Sims in a few weeks time. Having also been considering whether I should back Smith or one of the rookies and swap Marshall for Inglis with my spare cash.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Probably helps if you post your full team, not just top 17. The guys who don't play are just as important, as you need them to be either making cash for you, and/or be decent fill in guys when needed.

EDIT: Had a quick look, and I really doubt Mason will get more than 40mins a game with the forwards Newcastle has. His price is already at that mark, so I don't think he is such a good pickup when there is better value out there.

You also have a lot of money locked up in the halves, which could be a good ploy, but I think you could probably lose one of Thurston/Marshall/Sezer and get someone in cheaper (Say Albert Kelly, Campese, L.Kelly, Drinkwater if you really want to throw the dice) to improve other area's of your squad. I didn't say Gidley cause I think he will get to 280-300K easy, so he is a good investment.

Last edited:

gronkathon

First Grade
For the last few yearsa I have deluded myself into going for outright glory.

This year strictly looking at H2H competition. Hopefully I can build some cash cows in the early rounds before real competition. Especially considering many of them wont last past players returning from injury

Dogs Of War

Coach
For the last few yearsa I have deluded myself into going for outright glory.

This year strictly looking at H2H competition. Hopefully I can build some cash cows in the early rounds before real competition. Especially considering many of them wont last past players returning from injury

I've mentioned it before, I knew a guy who won the whole thing about 6 years ago, and saw the work he put into the whole thing. So now I concentrate on H2H, and have a punt when I have an easy opponent on the best score for the week (Captaining someone who I suspect may go off, but usually scores heaps less)

abpanther

Staff member
Hey Dogs of War, sounds like you know your stuff man, would appreciate some comments on my squad, particularly given it's my first year so I'm still learning the art of balancing naming a strong team vs developing cash cows

Thanks man

Wato

Juniors
Thanks. I have Klemmer,Harris,Kahu,Hika,T.Burgess,Chee-Kam and Buchanan who should see price rises at some point this season. I have defiantly gambled on how influential halves will be this year and hopefully that pays off. Mason I'm hoping can pull out some good points for the minutes ohis on the field for but if he fails I have T.Harris or Klemmer can fill his spot.

Billythekid

First Grade
I've mentioned it before, I knew a guy who won the whole thing about 6 years ago, and saw the work he put into the whole thing. So now I concentrate on H2H, and have a punt when I have an easy opponent on the best score for the week (Captaining someone who I suspect may go off, but usually scores heaps less)

I don't do super coach i stick to the nrl fantasy team. I've come in the top 10 before and i always come in the top 100 at least (almost won the eliminator 2 years ago as well but stuffed my captain up one week). Won quite a few individual weeks worth of prizes (a few of which i did by stacking teams specifically for origin weeks).

I don't really put that much work into it though and you really don't need to to be competitive at the top. Not saying you can win the whole thing but it's fun seeing how high you can get. I do mostly concentrate on just getting week wins now though.

abpanther

Staff member
I don't see the difference between naming a team for H2H versus for winning the whole comp, aren't you still picking the best team you can plus some potential cash cows on the bench?

whall15

Coach
Hayne
Uate
Hurrell
Gillett
Smith, Nathan
Thurston
Gidley
Tamou
Smith, Cameron
Merrin
Gallen
Fensom
Brown
---------
Gagan
Cummins
Low
Fonua
Milford
Kelly, Albert
Harris, Tohu
Bromwich, Kenny
Horo
Buchanan
Klemmer
Burgess, George

gronkathon

First Grade
I don't see the difference between naming a team for H2H versus for winning the whole comp, aren't you still picking the best team you can plus some potential cash cows on the bench?

The H2H rounds do not start at the same time as the season. By choosing H2H as my focus I can pick a slew of roughies who should go up in price allowing me to trade up my middle of the road options in my starting side while staying under the cap and holding on to lon term growth cash cows.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Hey Dogs of War, sounds like you know your stuff man, would appreciate some comments on my squad, particularly given it's my first year so I'm still learning the art of balancing naming a strong team vs developing cash cows

1. Gordon
2. Merritt
3. Inglis
4. L.Brown
5. Tuivasa-Sheck
6. Hayne
7. Thurston
8. Fifita
9. C. Smith
10. Burgess
11. Buhrer
12. Te'o
13. W.Graham

Bench
14. T.Sims
15. T.Harris
16. Beale
17. Fonau

Sort of the same deal. I need to see the whole squad, not just the top 17 playing. Especially once you read my comments, I need to see what else you are hiding.

Merritt is a little overpriced as he played some fullback last year (That said, if Merritt gets a go at fullback, get on it!)

Harris is a funny one, cause he may be out when Proctor comes back, but it's not as if Proctor is top shelf stuff, so he could be a good cash cow.

Fonau is a lot more high risk, and I am unsure why you are including him in your top 17.

A good supercoach rule is to avoid starting wingers unless you have to (Unless they do have a high work rate like Nightingale) as you will end up with the odd 15 points some weeks. I see you have Tuivasa-Sheck who will be great once he is moved to Fullback (hopefully from week 1, but who knows), but at the moment too much of a risk depending on what other options you have. With guys like Beale, Locke and Boyd out there and fairly cheap prices, it's pretty easy to stack guys with high ceilings who scored below there normal last season.

Best even with the scoring changes to make your reserves 2nd Rowers, Front Row/Fullbacks in that order. Forwards tend to provide much more consistent scoring for you.

Wato

Juniors
Traded out Mason here is my squad now

1.Hayne
2.Gordon
3.Boyd
4.Beale
5.Locke

6.Marshall
7.Thurston

8.Merrin
9.Smith(C)
10.Matulino

11.Buhrer
12.Teo
13.Mateo

14.Gidley
15.Lowe
16.Horo
17.Smith

18.J.Kahu
19.P.Hika
20.M.Chee-kam
21.A.Kelly
22.T.Harris
23.J.Buchanan
24.D.Klemmer
25.T.Browne

gronkathon

First Grade
I have almost finalised my squad. I like the uncertaintly of the rule changes.

Just tossing up fringe options. The relegation of potentials Lui & Daniel Harrisson threw my strategy a bit

abpanther

Staff member
Sort of the same deal. I need to see the whole squad, not just the top 17 playing. Especially once you read my comments, I need to see what else you are hiding.

Merritt is a little overpriced as he played some fullback last year (That said, if Merritt gets a go at fullback, get on it!)

Harris is a funny one, cause he may be out when Proctor comes back, but it's not as if Proctor is top shelf stuff, so he could be a good cash cow.

Fonau is a lot more high risk, and I am unsure why you are including him in your top 17.

A good supercoach rule is to avoid starting wingers unless you have to (Unless they do have a high work rate like Nightingale) as you will end up with the odd 15 points some weeks. I see you have Tuivasa-Sheck who will be great once he is moved to Fullback (hopefully from week 1, but who knows), but at the moment too much of a risk depending on what other options you have. With guys like Beale, Locke and Boyd out there and fairly cheap prices, it's pretty easy to stack guys with high ceilings who scored below there normal last season.

Best even with the scoring changes to make your reserves 2nd Rowers, Front Row/Fullbacks in that order. Forwards tend to provide much more consistent scoring for you.

Hey thanks for the feedback

I posted my full squad on the page prior

1. Gordon
2. Merritt
3. Inglis
4. L.Brown
5. Tuivasa-Sheck
6. Hayne
7. Thurston
8. Fifita
9. C. Smith
10. Burgess
11. Buhrer
12. Te'o
13. W.Graham

Bench
14. T.Sims
15. T.Harris
16. Beale
17. Fonau

Rapira
Taupau
Buchanen
Sene-Lafao
Miller
A.Kelly
Loko
Low

Thanks for the tips, given I've never played before I don't really have much of an idea as to which positions score best.

I did figure though that forwards do well given how many teams I've seen with guys like L. Brown and T.Williams in the centres. Is that the way to go?

abpanther

Staff member
The H2H rounds do not start at the same time as the season. By choosing H2H as my focus I can pick a slew of roughies who should go up in price allowing me to trade up my middle of the road options in my starting side while staying under the cap and holding on to lon term growth cash cows.

Ah ok, I see.

I didn't know the H2H rounds start later, that makes perfect sense now. Obviously if you're going for the top crown it compromises your ability to stash roughies early on.

Yeah H2H will be my focus too for season 1 while I learn the ropes :D

Dogs Of War

Coach
Traded out Mason here is my squad now
Starting guys are all fine.

These guys below are way too much of a risk. They may only play spottingly, if at all. Yes they have potential, but they are the sort of guys you pick up once they have been named to start. At best keep one. Better to have a cash cow playing off the bench in real life, than not at all. They can't go up in value that way.

18.J.Kahu -
19.P.Hika
20.M.Chee-kam
23.J.Buchanan

Can't fault these guys below, all have plenty of upside.

21.A.Kelly
22.T.Harris
24.D.Klemmer
25.T.Browne

Last edited:

Dogs Of War

Coach
I did figure though that forwards do well given how many teams I've seen with guys like L. Brown and T.Williams in the centres. Is that the way to go?

Yep, try and get it so that you have heaps of fullbacks and 2nd rowers in your centre positions. You can then interchange 2nd rowers into centre and back as required.

Anyway, looking at the rest of your squad...

Rapira - He will never score huge, better options out there for the money.
Buchanen - And when Woods comes back to start? Does he go to the bench? Woods at worst is round 3 to come back.

Sene-Lafao - Hard one to say, there is an opportunity at the Sea Eagles, but there are plenty of others fighting for the same spot. Will he get the minutes to make an impact?

All good buys with plenty of cash cow ability.
Taupau - I would start him give Des is. Should score more than either Tuivasa-Sheck or Fonau. I think Des will share the 40mins between Klemmer and Taupau. Gets a good shot
Miller
A.Kelly
Loko
Low

abpanther

Staff member
Thanks man, really appreciate the feedback

Making some tweaks now, gonna try and stockpile forwards and fullbacks :)

Latest posts