What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Surely it is time for the NRL.....

Loudstrat

Coach
None of the folk that would watch them currently go and watch other clubs?
Not many, no. Why would they?

You seriously have no idea.. How many Sydney clubs averaged less than 15K?
Four. Five averaged more. Whats your point? That Rocky would get well over 15k average? Or that 15k is the average in regional Queensland clubs? (from areas with a bigger population, mind you)

The Fitzoy area alone had a population of close to 200K at the last census which will rise dramatically when the latest figures are released due to the industry boom in the area, throw in other areas and you would be looking at 400K or so. i think the offical bid gives a figure of about 450K within a 3.5 hour drive of rocky.
Where did you pull that crap from?
[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockhampton" said:
Wikipedia[/URL]]The 2006 census recorded the Rockhampton Statistical Subdivision to have a population of 74,530 people.
[URL said:
http://population-of.com/en/Australia/04/Rockhampton/[/URL]]The population of Rockhampton, as estimated in late 2010, is 65,850.
200k? :lol:

Industry boom? Maybe there is one, but there is a two speed economy, with only miners and grumpy coaches doing well out of it. If you are referring to the mining boom, mining employs only 200 000 people nationally.

They don't have any other competition for market share so it's not really difficult to see all those factors in a league heartland getting better crowds than some of the current clubs despite you saying otherwise.
Name the other major sport that draws League crowds in the Parramatta district? Or Manly? Or either of the merged entities?

You have no argument when you keep trotting out 76K as the figure all the time. No doubt your attempt at lame personal insults is because you can't maintain an actual argument.
The ABS figure looks more like 76k than 400k to me sunshine!
The only stupid thing is having 9 teams in one city and 10 of the 16 NATIONAL rugby league teams in one state. We are either going national or we're not. If we are then there has to be less teams in Sydney and more in other states.
Almost as stupid as having 65% of the RL fans in the country crammed into one city. Or 80% of the countries population within 50 kms of the coast. But go and start an NRL club in the Simpson Desert if you want dots on the map.

Mong

Post Whore
Why do you keep using Rocky population figures only? The region is a little bigger than that as I already mentioned.

Parra and manly compete with the other clubs within that area. A CQ team does not have any issues with such things.

You may want to do some research on the area in general and note the industries, you seem fixated on mining which shows you don't know the area.

Loudstrat

Coach
The side is based in Rocky, is it not? What's within 3.5 hours of Rocky? Gladstone?

Or do you want me to compare it to the population within 3.5 hours of Sydney?

And if you are relying on people driving 7 hours to see a game of footy, good luck. A small percentage of Cowpats crowds would do that, but at best fortnightly over 6 months. Rocky cannot tap into that crowd without damaging the Cowpats, and then there are two arguments. Firstly, the numbers of such fans from Mackay - the potential battleground - are negligable, so 3.5 hours really means f*ck all. But secondly, if it IS significant, and good numbers will come from Mackay, you will only damage the Cowboys, and that can't be allowed to happen.

Parra and Manly dont compete with anyone. The Swans 25k crowds and the Waratahs 25k crowds constitute about 1% of the population - and a lot of these come from the old Norths area (which when the Bears come in will damage them more than any other NRL club).

As for industries - I have no idea why you brought this up, but in your 3.5 hrs zone of magic around Rocky you'd get beef, citrus, sugar cane, pineapples, some mining and support industries. Right?

Mong

Post Whore
Who is talking about 7 hours from Rocky for their crowd base?

All you have done is once again demonstrate that you have no idea about the region you are commenting about.

Do some research starting with where Gladstone is to Rocky andvwhat industry is in that area..

You seriously have no clue at the moment.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
TBH I thinkthe popualtion thing is a bit of a furphy. Most clubs avg less than 20K people, for TV the game attracts less than 10% of the population to view it. From a financial sustainability point of view you need
A) Corporates
B) potential to get 20K members
C) Prob around 50k to sell merchandise to

to be interesting to the NRL you need to add value to both media nd corporates who may sponsor the code. This means either bringing in new viewers (Perth) or encouraging the existing viewers to tune in more often (Brisbane2).

Mong

Post Whore
TBH I thinkthe popualtion thing is a bit of a furphy. Most clubs avg less than 20K people, for TV the game attracts less than 10% of the population to view it. From a financial sustainability point of view you need
A) Corporates
B) potential to get 20K members
C) Prob around 50k to sell merchandise to

to be interesting to the NRL you need to add value to both media nd corporates who may sponsor the code. This means either bringing in new viewers (Perth) or encouraging the existing viewers to tune in more often (Brisbane2).

It is a bit, i am not so sure what the facination with that one part that certain folk have. So there is a larger group available in say a section of sydney than what you would find in CQ or NQ but what you are more likely to have in an area like Sydney is large pockets of immigrant communities that are included in that number that are likely to have no interest in the game what so ever. Those communities are next to non existant in regional QLD areas.

There would be a number or different factors like that to take into account as opposed to a straight out numbers argument. Sydney crowd figures already show the issues there.

New markets are the key as you say, Perth is a must and while Brisbane isn't exactly new it's an area that isn't already over saturated and could support a new team. After that a regional like CQ would be ideal (and no they won't weaken a team on Townsville no matter how much some want to make the claim)

Loudstrat

Coach
Who is talking about 7 hours from Rocky for their crowd base?
You are dimwit. 3.5 hours to the game, and 3.5 home. Or are youproposing to make people live in the stadium???????

All you have done is once again demonstrate that you have no idea about the region you are commenting about.

Do some research starting with where Gladstone is to Rocky andvwhat industry is in that area..

You seriously have no clue at the moment.

Gladstone has an aluminium smelter. So what?

Why do I have to do the research? You tell me. I really couldnt give a f*ck about researching dodgey NRL bids from a place that is so small that it os barely 10% the size of the average Sydney club.

And if you think that Sydney is 90% migrants who have no interest in League, you are dumber than I thought! Population is not important. That will f*cking do me!!!!!!!

Rocky. Population 76k. Average Sydney club population 560k. Fact

Mong

Post Whore
So you don't want to do any research on what it is you are arguing about so you have some idea of facts before attempting an argument and then you go on to make up lies about what was actually said.

Great debating style you have going on there.

Loudstrat

Coach
Better than yours. You disagree but refuse to back it up. I have researched populations. You have just guessed.

I could do massive research and list every fish and chip shop in Central Queensland, but it still doesnt change that figure. 76k.

But if you want to look like the forum twat, go ahead.

So far the CQ team is relying on
1) People doing 7 hours of driving on weekends
2) Some factories in Gladstone
3) The fact that populations - meaning people - have no bearing on crowds
4) White Australia policy.

Good argument there Mong. :lol:

Mong

Post Whore
Still making things up about what has been actually said and still claiming the population of that area is 76K?

It's funny that you say you have researched populations then you can come up with 76K for that area..

You may want to do some actual research before posting such things.

Or just stick to lying about what is being said.. I suspect it will be that option based on your efforts to date.

Last edited:

Loudstrat

Coach
Given the opportunities you have had to prove me wrong, you sure are a waste of space!

What is the population of Central Queensland (and quote a source). And how far does that extend? Longreach?

Stop the tantrum, and back up your claims - which is that the CQ team would be bigger than some Sydney teams in terms of crowds. Meaning it would be stronger than the Cowboys, mind you.

I bet we'll get another tantrum with no facts.

Mong

Post Whore
Given the opportunities you have had to prove me wrong, you sure are a waste of space!

Again with petty personal insults because you have no argument to speak of.

Have already told you to look at the Fitzoy region which i am assuming you have chosen not to.

The following web site gives it a population of a bit over 200K which goes out to Emarald being about 2.5 hours away. Add to that some who may travel from areas like Mackay and Bundaberg (both approx 280k away) and to a lesser extent areas like Hervey Bay and Maryborough.

The official bid talks up a bit over 400K, that is a little unrealistic as it factors in the last two place i mentioned which i doubt they would draw much from in terms of crowds but it's not too far wrong.

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Community-and-environment/Regional-information/Fitzroy-Region.aspx

Make of that what you will but try and stick to what was actually posted.

Loudstrat

Coach
Finally!

Rockhampton regional council lists it's population as 102k. That is also a big council area that includes Mt Morgan and Shoalwater. Rocky itself therefore would be 76k!

Gladstone is 110kms away. Doable but not as likely.

Any further and you cannot really include many people as a big, reliable source. 200k is a massive stretch. 400k is a drug induced fantasy.

As for your rant about industry, I forgot cotton and grapes. Obviously, that makes a massive difference to whether an NRL side can exist. As there are no cotton or grape industries in many Sydney areas, I can now understand how many Sydney teams are surely about to fold............!

So, at best, you are about 1/5th the population resources of the average Sydney club. Remember the average Sydney side goes to more games than the average Brisbane resident.

Still not nearly enough. Sorry.

Mong

Post Whore
And now that you are educated on that, or though you have msised some facts again, Gladstone is actually closer than that and many people live in one place and work in the other so it's not a stretch by any means. Mount Morgan is just above Gracemere which is all but a suburb of Rocky these days and Shoalwater similar. How many people travel those distances/time frames to get to games in city areas? It would be quite a few wouldn't you think?

As per an earlier point you disputed despite later admitting you hadn't done any research. Gladstone region, and remember this is only one small part of the entire area has an alumina refinery, an aluminium smelter, cement australia has a plant, Orica Australia has what was at the time the largest ammonium plant in the word and i think it still is, they also do sodium cyanide and something else i can't recall, Minproc also have a chemical plant there. Rio Tinto also have a refinery, there is a power station and a decent size port. Bechtel are also building 3 seperate LNG projects there.

I am sure there are others but that's all i can recall.

Bit different to the piture you were trying to paint huh?

Last edited:

Loudstrat

Coach
Good for Gladstone. And the picture you are painting is that similar industries exist in Yepoon, Emerald etc?

And factories do what for RL?

As for distance, I would say not many travel much more than 1 hr for the average game. I am a tad less than 2 hrs away from my nearest ground. I did it once for a saturday night game, and home again in the same night. Needed a kip on the way home, let alone the extra expense in fuel, food etc.

Basically, the further away you live, the less likely you will go. At best, you have a pool of a tad over 100k where the majority of your crowd can come from. Again, as you fail to consider, that is far short of the population carve up in Sydney, or anywhere else. Oh, and they have big factories in Sydney too.

newman

First Grade
I know to the casual observer that Cronulla look like the "obvious" choice for relocation.

But the fact is, the sharks have put together an all or nothing play to stay in the shire, and despite what the smh says, it's looking pretty good to get over the line. They will stay in the shire, or go under. The board got voted in on this platform and the NRL are aware, and cautiously supportive of this initiative.

www.infoonsharks.com.au

So anyone who talks about Cronulla relocating are (incorrectly) speculating and prove that they do not possess any factual knowledge. By all means talk about them going under and being replaced (which is a realistically very slim chance) BUT FOR f**kS SAKE SHUT UP ABOUT RELOCATION FOR THE SHARKS.

Last edited:

Didgi

Cowboys fans travel 4-5hrs (from Cairns/Mackay) up to 6,7,8 hours to get to games, if there is demand there 110ks away is hardly a significant distance.

I doubt a CQ team would be stronger than the Cowboys crowd-wise (assuming our crowds pick up now we're not playing like spastics) but would be stronger than maybe the bottom couple of NSW teams.

Mong

Post Whore
Good for Gladstone. And the picture you are painting is that similar industries exist in Yepoon, Emerald etc?

No, they are mining areas as you go further west. I was referring back to a specific argument earlier you dismissed without actually knowinng any facts

And factories do what for RL?

Continued growth in the area.. Gee whiz, we have been over this already.

As for distance, I would say not many travel much more than 1 hr for the average game. I am a tad less than 2 hrs away from my nearest ground. I did it once for a saturday night game, and home again in the same night. Needed a kip on the way home, let alone the extra expense in fuel, food etc.

Needed a kip on the way home? Are you 70? Many Cowboys fans appear do it regularly.

Basically, the further away you live, the less likely you will go. At best, you have a pool of a tad over 100k

:roll:

Back to that huh..

Mong

Post Whore
Cowboys fans travel 4-5hrs (from Cairns/Mackay) up to 6,7,8 hours to get to games, if there is demand there 110ks away is hardly a significant distance.

I doubt a CQ team would be stronger than the Cowboys crowd-wise (assuming our crowds pick up now we're not playing like spastics) but would be stronger than maybe the bottom couple of NSW teams.

Stop talking sense, you will confuse him. It seems that because Loudstrat gets tired easily and doesn't like to travel to games then no one else does either.

It takes nearly an hour on the train for folk from the Ipswich area to get to broncos games but that doesn't seem to be an issue.

Apparently it will be "a stretch" for folk in other areas to travel a similar time though.

How long would it take on public transport to get from Penrith to Manly or even by own transport from most places in Sydney to Newcastle?

Loudstrat

Coach
How many people actually do that? How many Cowpats fans travel 6,7,8 hours? How many would take public transport from Penrith to Manly?

I assume that the numbers are quite small. I also assume that most of those travellers would do an overnight. Accommodation, extra meals etc cost money.

And to base your existence on fans travelling 8 hours to home games :lol: You are f*cking kidding? I already said 110 kms away is reasonable, but you wont get the same percentage of people from Gladstone as you will from Rocky, will you?

Latest posts