What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Surely it is time for the NRL.....

juro

Bench
So Sydney teams don't get to play out-of-Sydney teams all year until the finals? No thanks.

RL1908

Bench
There are no boundaries for Sydney NRL franchises dividing up the Sydney metro area into catchments. Sure the NSWRL boundaries continue to apply (in some respects) for RL as administered under the NSWRL, but there is nothing other than informal convention when it comes to where a Sydney NRL team plays, visits schools etc, holds a training session or members sign-up day, &/or seeks fans/sponsors.

DiggerBlue

Juniors
Article on the-roar about getting creative with expansion and looking at using expansion. Interesting read, don't think I agree with it though.

siv

First Grade
The two current merges that make no sense to me...and this is in no way shape or form a dig at your clubs...Are St.George Illawarra...and the Wests Tigers....geographically they make no sense at all. Parra/canterbury makes more sense as does Cronulla/st.george. Balmain/roosters and wests/penrith?Manly/central coast?

Wests Tigers - is a merger of Leichhardt and Ashfiled - with Campbelltown only their to supply juniors

St Merge - its the same Kogarah - wit ha token pressence i nWollongong for juniors

Loudstrat

Coach
You do realise that mean is the same as average, don't you?
Of course yes. Changed to median. Ceers.

Pretty much any where you put a team has potential to weaken an existing team. Are you applying this criteria to all the potential clubs?
Dunno how Perth would weaken other clubs, or the Bears for that matter.

:lol::lol: A lot of "ifs" there to come up with a ridiculous figure as an average crowd to suit your agenda.

Hardly compelling though even with the self proclaimed victory you added at the end
Well how about you come up with some stats to mount your argument, rather than the stupid crap you have "They would get people from other places to come".

Can you give us some facts to back up your claim that disenfranchising 500 000 people for 76 000 would be a good thing for the code?

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Here's is a bit of fuel to add to this fire.

* 4 teams over a 6-10 year period starting from 2013/14.
* NRL to review all club licenses every decade with the exception of the 4 new teams for the first 2 reviews (therefore giving them 20 years to establish themselves properly, unchallenged).
* No special club grants to any expansion teams (however WA & NZ get extra for their grass roots development).
* PNG & various Pacific Islands get affiliation with current clubs so their juniors have a clear pathway.

* NRL bids to demonstrate they can add to the NRL pie, sustain themselves financially with a water tight business/financial plan, show community support via. a quota of 10k memberships, show that they have infrastructure, a minimum of $4million on the coffers pre-license, an array of sponsors both locally and nationally.

2013-15: Central Coast Bears/W.A. Reds (low risk/high risk - heartland/expansion)
2018-23: Western Corridor (Ipswich)/New Zealand II Orcas (low risk/high risk - heartland/expansion)

Central Queensland & Adelaide to remain relocation options with $45million carrot for any takers (not a massive amount I know but realistically what the game can afford). If no takers by 2025 then introduce Central Qld/Adelaide before 2030 (mid risk/high risk - heartland/expansion). Obviously there would have been at least 2 NRL club license reviews by that stage. Foresight, everyone wins. Everyone's happy.

The highlighted sentence is something they should look at closely. One idea could be to set up elite nation based acadamies as the MLB does in the Caribbean.

Perth Red

Post Whore
P&R would never work. The gulf between the divisions would be massive. It took the Rfl 35 years to realise it.

Usain Bolt

Bench
lol all you Sydney cheerleaders get a f**king clue. Your crowds are shit. at least one te should be relocated (most likely cronulla)

Parra

Referee
lol all you Sydney cheerleaders get a f**king clue. Your crowds are shit. at least one te should be relocated (most likely cronulla)

Crowds only matter to hotdog vendors. With the focus on betting and tv revenue it would be cheaper to run the games on a made for tv paddock with no need for a live crowd or facilities at all.

Without Sydney, there is no game.

Mong

Post Whore
Of course yes. Changed to median. Ceers.

:lol::lol: Nice f**k up there.

Dunno how Perth would weaken other clubs, or the Bears for that matter.

I didn't say all clubs would but using what you have said with the bears.. You claim that a club (in rocky) approx 3.5 hours from a town (Mackay) that some folk go from to watch an existing club (Cowboys) play which is another 3.5 hours to 4 hours away will weaken the original club.

How many clubs fans within those kinds of time frames from the bears? Seems very likely they will draw on some support from existing fans who travel to watch other clubs presently. Asides from Perth this would be the case for pretty much all the options wuoldn't you think?

Well how about you come up with some stats to mount your argument, rather than the stupid crap you have "They would get people from other places to come".

Can you give us some facts to back up your claim that disenfranchising 500 000 people for 76 000 would be a good thing for the code?

You really have no idea. 76K? are you now seriously suggesting that they wouldn't draw crowds from any other areas around them despite banging on in this very same conversation about how they are going to weaken a club 7 or so hours away by taking fans from 3 and a bit hours away?

Within a 3 or 4 hour radius of Rockhampton you have a decent size population that is a heartland of League, there is little else competing in the area either. They would attract plenty of support and its also not hard to imagine they would get more than some of the current sydney teams despite what ever population figures you want to hang your hat on in that area, there is more to support than population size.

In saying that, they are behind Perth and a second Brisbane team in my opinion for next cabs of the rank but they should not be too far behind.

Putting another team any where near Sydney would be a mistake and nothing more than short sightedness when it comes to expansion of the code.

Billythekid

First Grade
I didn't say all clubs would but using what you have said with the bears.. You claim that a club (in rocky) approx 3.5 hours from a town (Mackay) that some folk go from to watch an existing club (Cowboys) play which is another 3.5 hours to 4 hours away will weaken the original club.

How many clubs fans within those kinds of time frames from the bears? Seems very likely they will draw on some support from existing fans who travel to watch other clubs presently. Asides from Perth this would be the case for pretty much all the options wuoldn't you think?

You really have no idea. 76K? are you now seriously suggesting that they wouldn't draw crowds from any other areas around them despite banging on in this very same conversation about how they are going to weaken a club 7 or so hours away by taking fans from 3 and a bit hours away?

Within a 3 or 4 hour radius of Rockhampton you have a decent size population that is a heartland of League, there is little else competing in the area either. They would attract plenty of support and its also not hard to imagine they would get more than some of the current sydney teams despite what ever population figures you want to hang your hat on in that area, there is more to support than population size.

In saying that, they are behind Perth and a second Brisbane team in my opinion for next cabs of the rank but they should not be too far behind.

Putting another team any where near Sydney would be a mistake and nothing more than short sightedness when it comes to expansion of the code.

Perth and a second Brisbane team are both light years ahead of a potential team in Rockhampton as you said. A second NZ team would also have to be a much better option.

I think a team on the CC is also better but i can see why people are hesitant about this unless there is one less team in Sydney (with the sharks and Manlys current positions this doesn't seem that unlikely).

Loudstrat

Coach
:lol::lol: Nice f**k up there.

Your argument, not mine.

How many clubs fans within those kinds of time frames from the bears? Seems very likely they will draw on some support from existing fans who travel to watch other clubs presently. Asides from Perth this would be the case for pretty much all the options wouldn't you think?
No, because the Bears would capitalise on 1 million people not currently represented by a club. Not f*cking 76k!

OK Einstein. Numbers. Whose out there?

If they can get more than the Sydney average crowd, then every settlement between Gin Gin and Sarina would be a ghost town. I could rob houses with a B double parked out front and no one would know.

An untapped market of 1 million people is far less than an untapped market of 76k. I see maths is as f*cked as geography in the Queensland curriculum.

Mong

Post Whore
Your argument, not mine.

:roll:

No, because the Bears would capitalise on 1 million people not currently represented by a club. Not f*cking 76k!

None of the folk that would watch them currently go and watch other clubs?

OK Einstein. Numbers. Whose out there?

If they can get more than the Sydney average crowd, then every settlement between Gin Gin and Sarina would be a ghost town. I could rob houses with a B double parked out front and no one would know.

You seriously have no idea.. How many Sydney clubs averaged less than 15K?

The Fitzoy area alone had a population of close to 200K at the last census which will rise dramatically when the latest figures are released due to the industry boom in the area, throw in other areas and you would be looking at 400K or so. i think the offical bid gives a figure of about 450K within a 3.5 hour drive of rocky.

They don't have any other competition for market share so it's not really difficult to see all those factors in a league heartland getting better crowds than some of the current clubs despite you saying otherwise.

An untapped market of 1 million people is far less than an untapped market of 76k. I see maths is as f*cked as geography in the Queensland curriculum.

You have no argument when you keep trotting out 76K as the figure all the time. No doubt your attempt at lame personal insults is because you can't maintain an actual argument.

bobmar28

Bench
What a stupid thread. Less teams = less tv money = less revenue to clubs.

The only stupid thing is having 9 teams in one city and 10 of the 16 NATIONAL rugby league teams in one state. We are either going national or we're not. If we are then there has to be less teams in Sydney and more in other states.

Latest posts