What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Survival of the NRL and NRL Clubs

strider

Post Whore
It was a merkin of a question. F**k these idiot f**kwit reporters that demand yes/no answers to complicated questions. They have no f**king respect for the people they are interviewing and are just chasing a headline. I'd like to see more instances where they are told to get f**ked.

Tony Jones, Stefanovic, Koch. They are all sanctimonious turds.
I agree ... it was a loaded question with no right answer that wouldn't have been met with a, well thats shit reply

But I still think eddie lost it quicker than a 16 yr old virgin first time in a whore house

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Was a simple direct question that didn't need war and peace history long reply with no direct answer..
Eddie is trying to protect his club mate. If I was in his position I wouldn't have answered the question either. It was cheap and nasty and designed to generate a headline rather than any genuine interest in the 'poor hard done by fans'.

Its the first rule I was taught when I did media training. Don't fall into their trap. Its why nice guys are typically poor at doing media. They are too f**ken honest and as a result get chewed up and spat out.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I agree ... it was a loaded question with no right answer that wouldn't have been met with a, well thats shit reply

But I still think eddie lost it quicker than a 16 yr old virgin first time in a whore house
True. He could have kept his composure better but he's clearly passionate about his club and doesn't want to see some f**kwit journo with an agenda do any damage to their brand.

Suitman

Post Whore

Disagree. It was a simple question that could have been replied with a simple answer.
Eddie has made it worse with his reply. It's now a national talking point and all over social media.
He did himself no favours.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Whats 'all over the news' is the fact that he had a stink with Tony Jones. I reckon Collingwood will live with that as its a far better outcome than the alternative outcomes from a yes/no answer which would be:
  • Having to refund most of your fans and going into debt
  • Defend why you said you'd keep their money (and all the shit media that would follow).
The conspiracy theorist in me thinks it might have even been a brilliant diversion tactic.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Eddie is trying to protect his club mate. If I was in his position I wouldn't have answered the question either. It was cheap and nasty and designed to generate a headline rather than any genuine interest in the 'poor hard done by fans'.

Its the first rule I was taught when I did media training. Don't fall into their trap. Its why nice guys are typically poor at doing media. They are too f**ken honest and as a result get chewed up and spat out.

Could easily have answered the question as yes, then gone into his heart string appeal...end of story.

Would have shut up the interviewer, Eddie comes out looking good. But he seemed to want to take the politician answer

TheParraboy

Staff member
Whats 'all over the news' is the fact that he had a stink with Tony Jones. I reckon Collingwood will live with that as its a far better outcome than the alternative outcomes from a yes/no answer which would be:
  • Having to refund most of your fans and going into debt
  • Defend why you said you'd keep their money (and all the shit media that would follow).
The conspiracy theorist in me thinks it might have even been a brilliant diversion tactic.

Love seeing Eddie lose it, whatever and whoever he has a stink with. Great entertainment value, over watching my ceiling pink elephants dancing...

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Could easily have answered the question as yes, then gone into his heart string appeal...end of story.

Would have shut up the interviewer, Eddie comes out looking good. But he seemed to want to take the politician answer
Fair enough mate. We can agree to disagree on this one.

But at the end of the day, f**k Eddie and f**k Collingwood. Hopefully we can agree on that.

Gronk

Staff member
And, he never ended up answering the question anyway.

No, he tried to muscle his way out of it so that the uncomfortable question went away. I get that membership refunds are the elephant in the room here for all clubs. Australian Consumer Law would support pro rata refunds, which is stating the obvious.

Eddie could have handled it better and in my view been better prepared for the hard questions. Clearly clubs need to be adding content to the members so that they are not seeking a return of cash. At the very least he should of said that the board are working on how they can make it up to their loyal membership base.

What are foxtel doing ? They are expanding content for sport viewers so that they stay on board.

What does that look like for an AFL club ? I don’t know, offer more exclusive meet n greets, events, dinners, training sessions for those that stick by them. Gather the sponsors together and offer a discount book on goods and services to be used now or post covid19. Save 25% coupons on restaurants, Just Jeans or Myer etc with a total value of $1,000s. Good for members, good for businesses as we face uncertainty in a possible recession.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
No, he tried to muscle his way out of it so that the uncomfortable question went away. I get that membership refunds are the elephant in the room here for all clubs. Australian Consumer Law would support pro rata refunds, which is stating the obvious.

Eddie could have handled it better and in my view been better prepared for the hard questions. Clearly clubs need to be adding content to the members so that they are not seeking a return of cash. At the very least he should of said that the board are working on how they can make it up to their loyal membership base.

What are foxtel doing ? They are expanding content for sport viewers so that they stay on board.

What does that look like for an AFL club ? I don’t know, offer more exclusive meet n greets, events, dinners, training sessions for those that stick by them. Gather the sponsors together and offer a discount book on goods and services to be used now or post covid19. Save 25% coupons on restaurants, Just Jeans or Myer etc with a total value of $1,000s. Good for members, good for businesses as we face uncertainty in a possible recession.
Good point. Clubs need to change their business model and try and find ways to add value for members during this down time.

strider

Post Whore

Foxtel are doing jack shit for me .... oh i can now chromecast to the tv, which already has a foxtel box attached. Yippee.