What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sustaining&building upon current NRL boom

blue bags

First Grade
How can the NRL chiefs continue the current boom in its popularity and take it to the next level?

My suggestions would be to announce in the coming months a guaranteed date for the 18th team and invite a bidding process for the potential franchises.

I would also announce that a certain number of regular season NRL games will be taken to cities like Perth, Adelaide, Christchurch, wellington and Hamilton etc for the next 2-3 years.
NRL plays trial matches in Fiji. .
NRL matches Mudgee.Darwin
NRL matches in NZ . north and south island's
State of Origin at Perth. Adelaide. Melbourne

Pippen94

First Grade
NRL plays trial matches in Fiji. .
NRL matches Mudgee.Darwin
NRL matches in NZ . north and south island's
State of Origin at Perth. Adelaide. Melbourne

..c'mon, let's take on the world!! Buy superleague. More games in USA. Put teams 19 & 20 in Fiji & NZ.

Buy the PNGRFL and turn it into a proper development league for the NRL. Make one of the rules that players need to complete high school to be eligible for an NRL contract.

That'll do more for RL in PNG than an NRL team based in Port Moresby.

MugaB

Coach
Buy the PNGRFL and turn it into a proper development league for the NRL. Make one of the rules that players need to complete high school to be eligible for an NRL contract.

That'll do more for RL in PNG than an NRL team based in Port Moresby.
Yeah coz, all the nrl clubs love to bringing kids from PNG with a year 12 high school equivalency ...
That's what's happening now is it?

Yeah coz, all the nrl clubs love to bringing kids from PNG with a year 12 high school equivalency ...
That's what's happening now is it?
What are you going on about?

My point is to give children in PNG a reason to finish high school. One of the reasons an NRL team is being talked about is because most kids don't finish high school. They usually drop out in year six. Make it compulsory to finish high school to be eligible to play in the NRL. The NYC used to make all players go to school to play in the competition.

Last edited:
Point is none of them (even if they did finish) would get picked up by an existing NRL club, this png nrl might turn that around... only a fool backs against PVL
If the junior pathways are strengthened then there's no reason for clubs to discriminate against Papuans.

V'landys needs more than half of the clubs, QRL and NSWRL to support his proposal. Not an easy task.

MugaB

Coach
If the junior pathways are strengthened then there's no reason for clubs to discriminate against Papuans.

V'landys needs more than half of the clubs, QRL and NSWRL to support his proposal. Not an easy task.
Yeah that won't happen either, fancy telling them their broadcasters split of funds that would normally go to NSWrl and QRL to now go 3 ways coz we want to get kids in png to finish high school, then also take your aus kids pathways, instead of the government just paying miilions for that AND giving them their own pathway via an nrl team, donks you cannot think these clubs are going to turn down free govt money, coz good intentions etc,

You gotta just accept this is happening, otherwise it'll end up giving you a ulcers... NRL is a business, and If the govt wasn't involved in this, probably doesn't happen, but they are, and RL has been fkd over too many times with lack of funding, that we are never letting this one go, and if it fails.. great, no big loss, we can add it to the list of many Gold Coast, Adelaide and Perth franchises... no biggy, plenty of bidders who want in on a licence, but not until this money gets spread out

As for getting them all aboard, I daresay the licence fee has been agreed upon, and they've all agreed, otherwise it would never have been made public by now

Last edited:
Yeah that won't happen either, fancy telling them their broadcasters split of funds that would normally go to NSWrl and QRL to now go 3 ways coz we want to get kids in png to finish high school, then also take your aus kids pathways, instead of the government just paying miilions for that AND giving them their own pathway via an nrl team, donks you cannot think these clubs are going to turn down free govt money, coz good intentions etc,

You gotta just accept this is happening, otherwise it'll end up giving you a ulcers... NRL is a business, and If the govt wasn't involved in this, probably doesn't happen, but they are, and RL has been fkd over too many times with lack of funding, that we are never letting this one go, and if it fails.. great, no big loss, we can add it to the list of many Gold Coast, Adelaide and Perth franchises... no biggy, plenty of bidders who want in on a licence, but not until this money gets spread out

As for getting them all aboard, I daresay the licence fee has been agreed upon, and they've all agreed, otherwise it would never have been made public by now
No one said the revenue from broadcast rights should go towards PNG.

Albanese has agreed to spend about $200-300m on developing rugby league across the Pacific. That's where the funding for junior rugby league in PNG will come from.

As for the clubs and what they will get.

It was reported that the clubs are demanding $170m of the $600m be given to them over 5 years from 2028. That's a $2m increase to each club's annual grant.

V'landys and the ARLC have not agreed to their demand. The clubs rejected a one-off payment of $2m per club.

V'landys said the clubs need to approve his proposal before it goes to cabinet. He stated in plain English that neither the clubs nor cabinet have signed off on it.

So no, it's not a done deal.

MugaB

Coach
No one said the revenue from broadcast rights should go towards PNG.

Albanese has agreed to spend about $200-300m on developing rugby league across the Pacific. That's where the funding for junior rugby league in PNG will come from.

As for the clubs and what they will get.

It was reported that the clubs are demanding $170m of the $600m be given to them over 5 years from 2028. That's a $2m increase to each club's annual grant.

V'landys and the ARLC have not agreed to their demand. The clubs rejected a one-off payment of $2m per club.

V'landys said the clubs need to approve his proposal before it goes to cabinet. He stated in plain English that neither the clubs nor cabinet have signed off on it.

So no, it's not a done deal.
Just more scaming I'm guessing, I mean they've approved 600 million, what's another 100-200m let's see how badly they want this hey? They'll probably get it too, coz our politicians are too gutless to back down, AFL cry poor and the Feds come running..
In the meantime big business raises all their prices from petrol to milk and bread, and we still pay the same tax, instead of them giving us less tax... coz if we all paid less tax, the government WOULDN'T BE SO FRIVOLOUS WITH IT FOR FUX SAKE!!
So suck a big dick y'all, you voted these clowns in, and if RL picks up a big fat check good on them, at least something I enjoy, gets to come away ahead

Just more scaming I'm guessing, I mean they've approved 600 million, what's another 100-200m let's see how badly they want this hey? They'll probably get it too, coz our politicians are too gutless to back down, AFL cry poor and the Feds come running..
In the meantime big business raises all their prices from petrol to milk and bread, and we still pay the same tax, instead of them giving us less tax... coz if we all paid less tax, the government WOULDN'T BE SO FRIVOLOUS WITH IT FOR FUX SAKE!!
So suck a big dick y'all, you voted these clowns in, and if RL picks up a big fat check good on them, at least something I enjoy, gets to come away ahead
I didn't vote for Labor.

The problem is people keep voting for the same parties and then whinge about things staying the same. We're getting to the point where emigration is the only way to escape the madness because people are too brainwashed and wimpy to revolt.

I truly worry about what our quality of life will be like by 2030. I suspect we will have far less freedom, a stronger nanny state and pay more for less. God knows how it will impact rugby league and the NRL. Less disposable income for the average Australian will not be good for the game.

MugaB

Coach
I didn't vote for Labor.

The problem is people keep voting for the same parties and then whinge about things staying the same. We're getting to the point where emigration is the only way to escape the madness because people are too brainwashed and wimpy to revolt.

I truly worry about what our quality of life will be like by 2030. I suspect we will have far less freedom, a stronger nanny state and pay more for less. God knows how it will impact rugby league and the NRL. Less disposable income for the average Australian will not be good for the game.
I'm not blaming you donks, just the majority who did vote for them.
Rugby league has already learnt its lessons from dealing with politics, back when the hand shake deal fell thru for Accor Stadium... never again.. hoping they learnt their lesson from the broadcast deal too, where they went in and left with a lesser deal, as a favor to kickstart sports after covid, then AFL being the "business minded" pushed for every cent..(as they should).... also never again..
See the running theme... been burnt doing things not in RLs favour, now they turn screws and you donks, you think we should take it easy on the govt, faaaark that, they want this team, we'll then make it, and make them PAY for it, and thensome...

Last edited:
I'm not blaming you donks, just the majority who did vote for them.
Rugby league has already learnt its lessons from dealing with politics, back when the hand shake deal fell thru for Accor Stadium... never again.. hoping they learnt their lesson from the broadcast deal too, where they went in and left with a lesser deal, as a favor to kickstart sports after covid, then AFL being the "business minded" pushed for every cent..(as they should).... also never again..
See the running theme... been burnt doing things not in RLs favour, now they turn screws and you donks, you think we should take it easy on the govt, faaaark that, they want this team, we'll then make it, and make them PAY for it, and thensome...
The fact the Gov want a team that will be an albatross around the neck of the NRL for eternity is enough reason to tell Albanese to get f**ked. The amount of sacrifices the NRL will have to make to get this stupid Labor proposal over the line out weigh any benefit it brings.

Unless the Gov is willing to pay $1 BILLION per annum to screen all NRL games on the ABC -- in addition to the $600m they'll spend on PNG/Pacific -- then I would be telling them to f**k off. That way we can f**k Foxtel off for good and deliver a swift boot up the arse to AwFuL, as there's no way News will be able to pay those bastards so much money without RL. The whinging from News Ltd would make it money well spent.

On second thought, I think the price I suggested is too low. We should tell Albo to give us a 10 year broadcast deal with the ABC worth $2b a year to cover all games.

The fumbleball ambassadors who work for the ABC will have to chew their cud and pretend to like RL or f**k off.

Rugby league gains blanket coverage on the national broadcaster. No more Smelli Underwear on Offsiders. Bring in Yvonne Samson to do the show.

With $2B a year we will be able to fund a 24 team competition with clubs in Adelaide, Perth, Christchurch, Wellington, Suva, Brisbane Tigers and PNG Hunters. There will finally be peace on LU expansion forum and no more whinging from the Pommie in Perth.

MugaB

Coach
On second thought, I think the price I suggested is too low. We should tell Albo to give us a 10 year broadcast deal with the ABC worth $2b a year to cover all games.

The fumbleball ambassadors who work for the ABC will have to chew their cud and pretend to like RL or f**k off.

Rugby league gains blanket coverage on the national broadcaster. No more Smelli Underwear on Offsiders. Bring in Yvonne Samson to do the show.

With $2B a year we will be able to fund a 24 team competition with clubs in Adelaide, Perth, Christchurch, Wellington, Suva, Brisbane Tigers and PNG Hunters. There will finally be peace on LU expansion forum and no more whinging from the Pommie in Perth.
600million, 770million, 2 billion what does it matter?
If your trying to take money from the government, its the tax payers funds, so its the same argument as before... its not RLs fault that PNG is in love with NRL or that the government are ready to fund us up the wahzoo for a token team there... we can look at the positives, we can spread the money around the clubs, we can take there better players in a few years down the line, when the teams pathways are set up and working.. and we can re invest efforts into other markets for future expansion

Last edited:
600million, 770million, 2 billion what does it matter?
If your trying to take money from the government, its the tax payers funds, so its the same argument as before... its not RLs fault that PNG is in love with NRL or that the government are ready to fund us up the wahzoo for a token team there... we an look at the positives, we can spread the money around the clubs, we can take there better players in a few years down the line, when the teams pathways are set up and working.. and we can re invest efforts into other markets for future expansion
It would be hilarious to see all NRL games on the ABC for $2B a year over a decade. It would send Murdoch and fumbleball loving Victorians up the wall. Tax payer money well spent.

Perth Red

Post Whore

But will Logan get team? lol

Latest posts