What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Swimming

aussies1st

Staff member
Is she in that relay? The only stroke where I could see her in is the backstroke. Maybe the butterfly if Libby does the freestyle. What I was getting at was the fact she hasn't swam any individual storked events i.e 100m freestyle, backstroke etc

The Colonel

Immortal
Is she in that relay? The only stroke where I could see her in is the backstroke. Maybe the butterfly if Libby does the freestyle. What I was getting at was the fact she hasn't swam any individual storked events i.e 100m freestyle, backstroke etc

Schipper - Butterfly
Rice - Backstroke
Jones - Breaststroke
Trickett - Freestyle

Pretty sure that was the lineup during the World Championships

Razor

Coach
There are way way too many swimming events. Why do you need 4 different strokes? Its like having the 100m run, the 100m hop, the 100m skip and the 100m run backwards. No one should even have a chance to win 8 golds.

There's hurdles and the walk.

And not many swimmers are top-class in several strokes.

Look at the field events. The decathlon etc.

There's shot put, discus, javelin, etc.

It's possible in athletics to win 8 Gold Medals as well - no one has, but no one has won 8 in swimming either.

And look at track cycling, which is also possible to win 8 Gold Medals.

Not sure what stroke she's doing but i heard her interviewed after the race today and she said that was he last event.

Maybe she's just swimming the heats?

either way its odd if she's strong enough to swim the medley relay that she wouldnt compete in any indivdual events. Especially considering all her main rivals in the IM swim individual events.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
There's hurdles and the walk.

And not many swimmers are top-class in several strokes.

Look at the field events. The decathlon etc.

There's shot put, discus, javelin, etc.

It's possible in athletics to win 8 Gold Medals as well - no one has, but no one has won 8 in swimming either.

And look at track cycling, which is also possible to win 8 Gold Medals.

8 Athletic medals would be near impossible. Shot put, discus, high jump and pole vault require specific physiques to be elite at so you can count them out of the equation. I suspect javelin would be similar. Decathletes are such all-rounders that they wouldn't get close in any single discipline either. Runners who go well at over 400m have completely different physiques to sprinters. The only way I could imagine somebody getting would be:

100m
4x 100m relay
200m
400m
100m hurdles
400m hurdles
long jump
triple jump

but even thats pretty much just theoretical because as far as I'm aware you'll pretty much never get the same athletes in the hurdles as the flat track events, and while quite a few runners have managed the 100/200 or 200/400 doubles, I don't think anyone's managed to simultaneously claim the 100m and 400m.

I think 5 medals in one meet is probably the likely limit:

100m
4x100m
200m
long jump
triple jump

aussies1st

Staff member
Thought there was a 4x200m relay, definitely is a 4x400m one.
It took us ages to find a freak like Phelps, there probably is one of those that will come through in the future doing similarly freakish stuff.

Razor

Coach
8 Athletic medals would be near impossible.

As is 8 swimming medals. That's why it's never been done before, until possibly this Olympics (and one of the events to go he isn't the world record holder and the WR holder is in the event - although he hasn't lost in over 4 years)

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Thought there was a 4x200m relay, definitely is a 4x400m one.
It took us ages to find a freak like Phelps, there probably is one of those that will come through in the future doing similarly freakish stuff.

You're right, there's a 4x400, no 4x200 though. Doesn't really change my point much though as it still leaves the 5 medals as the most that's realistic (you could theoretically get 9 but for the reason I stated above I doubt it would ever happen).

sass

Juniors
There are way way too many swimming events. Why do you need 4 different strokes? Its like having the 100m run, the 100m hop, the 100m skip and the 100m run backwards. No one should even have a chance to win 8 golds.

why not?

the strokes take different training and skills and it's a massive achievement if they can.

it's not like it means every olympics there's just one dude rocking up and winning allll the swimming medals.

there are hardly any swimmers who are as talented as phelps - which is why no one else has come close to mark spitz's achievement in more than 30 years.

boy is a freak.

maybe eventually someone will come along who can master hurdles and sprint or jump events like these boys have done in the butterfly and free.

CycloneSteve

Juniors
Silver Medal to Brendan Rickard in the 200m Breaststroke.....well done. The Japanese guy was never going to lose it.

DB

First Grade
Libby Tricket is one lucky girl. Qualified for the final in 8th place for the 100m Freestyle, due to a disqualification to the chinese bird.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
was watching it at uni in my break, always good to watch things like that with a group of strangers. The general worry after she came 4th, then the escalation during the 2nd semi with everyone swimmin fast, and then the relief and laughter all round after hearin of the DQ

CycloneSteve

Juniors
Bronze to Jessica Schipper in the 200m Butterfly....her pet event.
Eamon Sullivan edged out by the Frenchman....Silver to him in the 100m Freestyle.
Not the golden day we expected.

Latest posts