What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Swimming

sass

Juniors
bahah thanks twizzler. I kinda knew that though darlin. it's exciting watching it tho, not so much reading the result on the internet at work.

no she was a freestyler that won at every distance from 100 to 800 metres

an absolute freak that retired at 18

She held every world record from 100m to 800m , but at the 72 games she won the 200m , 400m , 200 IM.

she came second in the 800M and third in the 100m.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
next olym schedule for Steph i hope would be;

200IM
200Free
200Back
400IM
400Free
4X200 relay
4X100 relay
4X100 medley relay

thats 8 to rival phelps

you can add the 100 free in there to beat him :mad:

i know she won't do it, wishful thinking never hurt

I would say it will be far more likely that she'll have traded swimming for a media career by then and we'll see her as a commentator/presenter.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
its wishful thinking i know.

shocking day for aust in the pool.

Trickett and Jones Silver Medalled... jones' was the shock.

Thats;

100m Freestyle Men
100m Freestyle Women
200m Backstroke Women
200m Butterfly Women

that i expected Aust to get gold in

And the 4 X 200 relay i didn't, so still 3 down :(

lockyno1

Post Whore
We still have a few chances to go,

Sullivan in the 50 (needs a WR to win though)
Trickett in the 50 (she is a better 50 swimmer than a 100)
4X200 med relay for women (should definately win this)
Hackett in 1500 (should medal but can he win it, not sure the Welsh guy will be difficult to stop)

The swimming has been poor, but it shows that take Thorpe out of the mens and they have NOTHING. A few minor medals will not change my opinion, we have no world class men swimmers.

brook

First Grade
I don't know how you could argue that Sullivan isn't world class

Yes he was touched out in the 100m but he wasn't beaten by a mug either, Bernard is an excellent swimmer and it could easily have gone the other way.

lockyno1

Post Whore
I don't know how you could argue that Sullivan isn't world class

Yes he was touched out in the 100m but he wasn't beaten by a mug either, Bernard is an excellent swimmer and it could easily have gone the other way.

Ok fine, that is one. But jeez lets go back 5 years where we had Klim, Thorpe and Huegill as well as some others. Now we really have Sullivan and Hackett and even Grant is pushing it as the Welsh guy is 10 seconds quicker this year!

brook

First Grade
Oh sure I agree (although even Klim never won an individual olympic gold so sometimes we can remember things as better than they were).

I think our swimming team as a whole is in the process of rebuilding at the moment though. A lot of them, men and women, and still very young and I think a fair way off their peak. Add to that the fact that a lot of the more minor swimming nations seem to have picked up their game and gold medals are going to be a lot harder to come by.

I see good signs that London will be better for the Aussies but I think we were lucky to have both Thorpe and Hackett who were both freakish swimmers come through at the same time, I don't think we can count on getting those sort of results again.

aussies1st

Staff member
Sadly another disappointing day. Jones looked so good with her smooth style until the final where when challenged she just couldn't change gears. Trickett tried her best but died in the end, does look to be one thing our swimmers need to work on.

its wishful thinking i know.

shocking day for aust in the pool.

Trickett and Jones Silver Medalled... jones' was the shock.

Thats;

100m Freestyle Men
100m Freestyle Women
200m Backstroke Women
200m Butterfly Women

that i expected Aust to get gold in

And the 4 X 200 relay i didn't, so still 3 down :(

Yep...absolutely shocking...how dare they get a silver or not win.:?

lockyno1

Post Whore

When they are world record holders for those events I actually would classify them as poor performances. Eamon had a poor race, was .3 off the time he set in the semi, Jones I can cop as Toni is a great swimmer, Tricket had a absolute shocker, no two ways about it, was .3 off her record and was horrible even getting into the final!

SaveTheChildren

Juniors

Rubbish. Trickett and Jones not only let themselves down, they let down the whole of Australia. Two golds in the bag - thrown away by lazy swims.

We needed those. We will be lucky if Grant Hackett doesn't drown in the 1500.

Shorty

Staff member
^Oh god,if you weren't a d*ckhead already with the Sonny Bill drama you sure as hell are one now.
LOL What a f**king joke,they didn't let anyone down they all did their best and this is the result.
How disgusting to say they let Australia down,you get in the pool and do those times and perform under that pressure you wanker.

Um locky...where was Libby in Athens? That's right she missed out,so I'd call getting Silver an improvement thanks.
And Eamon barely lost to a Frenchmen that thoroughly embarrassed himself in a relay a few days ago - Nobody was stopping him.

You two need to wake up to yourselves.

Last edited:

lockyno1

Post Whore
Eamon and Libby were both well over their WR. Libby deserves some massive criticism as it is plain obvious she has just "cruised" her way into finals and she is not Michael Phelps. She wrecked herself with the semi swim. A silver is decent BUT considering she is the WR holder it was not as good a performance, especially when apart from the fly final she is yet to swim a great race in the entire meet. Eamon may have lost to a better guy, but the question has to be asked whether he went too hard in the semi- I have to say yes to that.

Shorty

Staff member
No both of them went too hard too early and it's been the problem with a lot of our swimmers they haven't paced themselves.
But Libby was very happy with her medal,she barely got into the final in the first place and considering that was the case in Athens,I'm sure she's over the moon with what she got and we should be lucky that we even got a medal.

lockyno1

Post Whore
After her semi I agree, I am happy with the medal. I am sure she is not happy one bit with her semi swim that costed her big time. Eamon went for his WR in the semi and it backfired. There is a fine line in mens sprinting, but he should have eased off a bit in the semi. He looked burnt out in the final.