What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sydney is Red, White and Blue

STORM.99/07

Bench
Relax.

Don't take things so literally.

We're rugby league fans. We'll bitch and whinge about anything and everything, but when the time comes, we'll get the job done (i.e., sit down and watch the Grand Final).

Truth be told there's a lot of good times to be had come Sunday:

1. Might get to see Cooper Cronk cry (again);
2. Might get to see Cameron Smith cry (again);
3. Might get to see Billy Slater get suspended; and
4. Might get to see Billy Slater cry (again).

Personally, I'll be playing my favourite drinking game and having a beer every time Bellamy carries on like a pork chop in the coach's box swearing and putting his hands in his pockets like a bitch.

You be sure to enjoy your Sunday too mate.
I will enjoy.thank you.
I have never seen Cam Smith cry.
You probably won`t get to see the end of the game if you are having a drink on CB.

Front-Rower

First Grade
You said it is an issue that there are certain teams that consistently make the top 8.

How else should that be interpreted?

Still can’t comprehend I see.

The salary cap does not work in its current state for its intended purpose even though the NRL state otherwise.

You can go even further to say that the stats presented are a fantastic argument for a reduction of teams rather than an increase as it becomes quite obvious that there isn’t enough talent to support 16 teams let alone another 2-4.

SBD82

Coach
Still can’t comprehend I see.

The salary cap does not work in its current state for its intended purpose even though the NRL state otherwise.
The intended purpose of the salary cap wasn't to even the playing field. (Although that is a byproduct that the NRL like to focus on).

The intended purpose was to ensure that the poorer clubs didn't send themselves broke trying to compete with the big money clubs.

Front-Rower

First Grade
The intended purpose of the salary cap wasn't to even the playing field. (Although that is a byproduct that the NRL like to focus on).

The intended purpose was to ensure that the poorer clubs didn't send themselves broke trying to compete with the big money clubs.

That's partially correct, the NRL even state so themselves - https://www.nrl.com/operations/the-game/the-salary-cap/

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Why have a Salary Cap?

The NRL Salary Cap serves two functions:

1. 1. It assists in "spreading the playing talent" so that a few better resourced clubs cannot simply out-bid other clubs for all of the best players. If a few clubs are able to spend unlimited funds it will reduce the attraction of games to fans, sponsors and media partners due to an uneven competition. Allowing clubs to spend an unlimited amount on players would drive some clubs out of the competition as they would struggle to match the prices wealthy clubs could afford to pay.
  1. 2. It ensures clubs are not put into a position where they are forced to spend more money than they can afford, in terms of player payments, just to be competitive.

However, what they fail to mention is that it was supposed to work side by side with the proposed draft that Terry Hill challenged. The draft got tossed out but the salary cap stayed.

The issue with the salary cap is that it doesn't stop the "better resourced" clubs from out-bidding due to ease of access to TPAs.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That's partially correct, the NRL even state so themselves - https://www.nrl.com/operations/the-game/the-salary-cap/

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Why have a Salary Cap?

The NRL Salary Cap serves two functions:

1. 1. It assists in "spreading the playing talent" so that a few better resourced clubs cannot simply out-bid other clubs for all of the best players. If a few clubs are able to spend unlimited funds it will reduce the attraction of games to fans, sponsors and media partners due to an uneven competition. Allowing clubs to spend an unlimited amount on players would drive some clubs out of the competition as they would struggle to match the prices wealthy clubs could afford to pay.
  1. 2. It ensures clubs are not put into a position where they are forced to spend more money than they can afford, in terms of player payments, just to be competitive.

However, what they fail to mention is that it was supposed to work side by side with the proposed draft that Terry Hill challenged. The draft got tossed out but the salary cap stayed.

The issue with the salary cap is that it doesn't stop the "better resourced" clubs from out-bidding due to ease of access to TPAs.

yes an no, if the NRL are to be believed tpa's make up only a very small % of players salaries. More likely players are choosing clubs which give them a greater chance of success which then leads to greater chance of rep honours. And so we have a self perpetuating cycle as players want to go to the successful clubs and so those clubs remain successful. Then throw in the difference in off field spending which clearly gives advantages (when is the football cap due to start?) and we see the haves and have nots.

Probably only Manly that are bucking the trend (unitl this year at least) who clearly haven't got two pennies to rub together yet have managed to put out decent teams for the last few years, and Eels the other way who are spending squillions and cant seem to get a return on that expenditure in the win column.

adamkungl

Immortal
Lol @ the cry babies in this thread.

You can propose any cap system, any restriction, any TPA monitoring you want and the 3 most successful teams would still be
Storm
Roosters
Broncos

Over basketcases run on chook raffles that somehow manage to owe the NRL money, play out of a ground unfit for park footy, cheat and still come last, sign Sticky as coach for 40 years, etc.

Everywhere I go, in my red, white and blue French national colours, I feel the love, the Remi Casty love, for the Sydney Roosters.

butchmcdick

Post Whore
Gentle Bondi Boy Lies To Himself And Says That His Roosters Still Have A Chance On Sunday

Facebook

Twitter

WhatsApp

soulman.jpg

ERROL PARKER | Editor-at-large | Contact

Even though his birth certificate says he was born under a boree tree some seven miles from the Betoota City Limits, a polite, smooth-palmed Diamantina expat has looked himself in the mirror this morning and told lies.

Since 2013, Connor Halleford has called the beachside Sydney suburb of Bondi home.

His youth in our state’s great South West is a distant memory; so distant that he’s turned his back on the Cowboys and has let his soft heart be stolen by the Sydney Roosters.

Never the less, the lie he told himself this morning, just after he brushed his comically white teeth, was that the Roosters still have a chance of beating the Storm this Sunday now that Billy Slater has been cleared to play.

The 31-year-old spoke to The Advocate this morning via telephone where he continued to lie to himself repeatedly.

“We are probably actually equal favourites at the moment,” he said.

“We’ve got the home ground advantage and Latrell Mitchell is the greatest player in the whole competition. Cooper Cronk is on the bench. It’s like Friday Night Lights except we’ll win,”

“It doesn’t matter that Billy ‘Protected Species’ Slater is playing, [Boyd] Cordner will neutralise him all game. Do you think I sound worried? Ha!”

Our reporter did think Conor sounded worried but admired his ability to stay positive in such a dark time for himself.

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/hum...t-his-roosters-still-have-a-chance-on-sunday/

JB04

Juniors
Zero buzz around the city so far for the GF.
Saw a traffic sign saying NRL GF Sunday just past the Harbour bridge. That’s all I’ve seen. Still, would rather Cordners butt chin hold up the trophy than Cams butt chin #Chooks

Lambretta

First Grade
I am currently walking through the CBS to soak up this Red, White and Blue City. I will report back once I have gone 5ks.

As my ACL is f**ked this is no easy task. I hope you will enjoy this as much as I will

Latest posts