What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sydney is Red, White and Blue

myrrh ken

First Grade
there was a reds error in the lead up which wasn't picked up.

Pretty symbolic of how the club went.

yobbo84

Coach
Is it grand final week? Honestly working in the CBD there's zero indication. I haven't seen any jerseys, flags on cars, nothing. The most interesting thing I've seen this week was a pop-up Breadtop store in World Square...

Valheru

Coach
Is it grand final week? Honestly working in the CBD there's zero indication. I haven't seen any jerseys, flags on cars, nothing. The most interesting thing I've seen this week was a pop-up Breadtop store in World Square...

On the fair dinkum stakes I have worked in the city for 10 years and have been in Melbourne during AFL GF week twice. What they do in Melbourne and the atmosphere that week shits all over Sydney regardless of who is playing.

Sydney CBD has never had any buzz for any GF since I have worked there and yes that includes 2016, 2014 and 2010.

Tommy Smith

Referee
On the fair dinkum stakes I have worked in the city for 10 years and have been in Melbourne during AFL GF week twice. What they do in Melbourne and the atmosphere that week shits all over Sydney regardless of who is playing.

Sydney CBD has never had any buzz for any GF since I have worked there and yes that includes 2016, 2014 and 2010.
Yeah that just sums up Sydney. So much apathy towards any kind of event.

Sydney probably hasn't been hyped for a sporting event since the 2000 Olympics.

Maybe it's more in the Melbourne DNA because they have the Melbourne Cup and the Aus Open which is a bit of a sporting festival.

But unless nuclear war breaks out Sydney folk just don't give a f**k about anything it seems. Business as usual 24/7.

Vic Mackey

Referee

I was in melbourne for AFL GF week in 2014 and agree with that however re Sydney it depends what you’re doing and where you are. In 2005 Balmain and Leichhardt was insane with banners, flags, ribbons, steamers in every shop, house, street corner. I was on the city on the Saturday night before the GF and there were a heap of cars driving up and down George St with Black and organe paraphernalia all night.

Living in Cronulla 2016 was the same spread across the whole Shire.

I haven’t been there this year but in 2013 I went to the movies at Bondi Junction a few nights before the GF and there was bacially nothing anywhere.

Also remembering the GF hasn’t even sold out yet, admittedly it’s not something I take great notice in previous years of but that’s pretty poor 48 hours away from it when a Sydney teams involved.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
The NRL has built no tradition or consistency with Grand Final week, they have all these big plans that seem to fade away after a few years. The one thing the AFL does well is stick with tradition, they have the big parade through Melbourne every year and the buildup is the same so the city has an event feel about it. When a Melbourne team wins the AFL they do a public appearance in the Middle of the city, NRL clubs go out to the suburbs where its only noticed by their rusted on fans.
We need to start building some traditions and stick with it long term, things that make even peripheral fans know that its Grand Final week.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
The NRL has built no tradition or consistency with Grand Final week, they have all these big plans that seem to fade away after a few years. The one thing the AFL does well is stick with tradition, they have the big parade through Melbourne every year and the buildup is the same so the city has an event feel about it. When a Melbourne team wins the AFL they do a public appearance in the Middle of the city, NRL clubs go out to the suburbs where its only noticed by their rusted on fans.
We need to start building some traditions and stick with it long term, things that make even peripheral fans know that its Grand Final week.
Yet nrl is still doing well.

Can do better but it's not a dead beast walking like some negative Neville's crap on about