What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sydney Match of the Day

Valheru

Coach
Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't the whole premise of the match of the day that all (most) games were played at the same time on a Saturday or Sunday arvo and the best match each week was picked to me moved to the SCG? Clearly that wouldn't work with the current scheduling and that idea should stay in the 60s.

What they can and should do is bring back prominence to the Friday night timeslot ala the early 2000s. Up until the introduction of the 2nd Friday game in 2007, hosting a Friday night game was seen as a privilege and an event that fans wanted to attend. There is much that needs to be done and this is going off topic a bit but a single Friday night game each week between 2 well performing sides either from the previous year or current year would be more effective IMO and would also achieve some of the goals the OP is looking at.

DIOGENES

Juniors
Well bar 1960 averages were on the most over or close to 20k

Which mathematically means there were a lot crowds over 20k

That looks pretty regular

Yes times are different - but Magic weekend is a rehash of the 70s League-A-Thon. So what was old can become new again

We even have trams making a comeback

Play games at sub 20k venues and you will always get sub 20k averages

But its not about playing a Sydney derby somewhere across the city - but playing evety week the best Sydney game at a standard big venue in a standard timeslot

In respect to ANZ we need to activate more Easter style transport options during game days

By having a set timeslot - transport options can be planned better

eg like the buses to Dee Why etc and more direct trains
And an equal number below 20K

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
For f**k sake.

Only fans of Parramatta, Canterbury, WT and Souths want to attend ANZ. Dragons fans hate it, Roosters fans won't go out there, nor Manly or Cronulla. Penrith arguably not either.

I dont see the problem. Between the 4 teams who already call ANZ home, that is 48 home games across the season. More than enough for the iniciative...

Offer the FTA sunday game (not to mention the likely boost to crowds from the regular event) and im sure these clubs would be happy to share all of the games between themselves.

Other clubs still have one other Sunday game to share out, and if they are DESPERATE for the 4pm slot, they can move their game to ANZ

This isn't a "build it and they will come". Sunday arvo is the perfect slot for suburban grounds hosting all-Sydney clashes where local fans can come see their local team.

Suburban grounds are supposted to be a big drawcard in their own right. Why waste the Sunday slot on them if it only grows their crowd by 1-2k.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't the whole premise of the match of the day that all (most) games were played at the same time on a Saturday or Sunday arvo and the best match each week was picked to me moved to the SCG? Clearly that wouldn't work with the current scheduling and that idea should stay in the 60s.
t.

Obviously it would be impractical to pick the “best”game and move it with a weeks notice (and pointless, given it is already on tv so everyone can watch it anyway)

What a modern “match of the round” would do is standardise a slot at one ground (eg. 4pm Sunday at ANZ) and get fans into a regular habit.

It wouldnt need to be the BEST game (the event itself would be the selling point) and it wouldnt need too much of a structural change to the draw.

Springs09

Juniors
I dont see the problem. Between the 4 teams who already call ANZ home, that is 48 home games across the season. More than enough for the iniciative...

No it's 2 teams and 18 games. Both Dogs and Souths play 9 games there a year. After the first few rounds this year Eels will have all their Sydney home games at WSS and Tigers will move from ANZ to WSS as well.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

Offer the FTA sunday game (not to mention the likely boost to crowds from the regular event) and im sure these clubs would be happy to share all of the games between themselves.

Other clubs still have one other Sunday game to share out, and if they are DESPERATE for the 4pm slot, they can move their game to ANZ
The problem is that if you limit it to the handful of clubs whose fans will actually bother attending there, it's limiting the reach. And your summation of 48 ANZ home games is completely wrong - only Canterbury and Souths play there fulltime and even then only 9 games each. I referenced Parramatta and WT as clubs who've played there in recent seasons but they no longer use the venue after Easter weekend 2019.

Suburban grounds are supposted to be a big drawcard in their own right. Why waste the Sunday slot on them if it only grows their crowd by 1-2k.

Because putting suburban games on at 6pm Friday or 3pm Saturday doesn't do anything to grow crowds.

Basically this idea worked 40-50 years ago, that's no longer the case.

The problem is that if you limit it to the handful of clubs whose fans will actually bother attending there, it's limiting the reach. And your summation of 48 ANZ home games is completely wrong - only Canterbury and Souths play there fulltime and even then only 9 games each. I referenced Parramatta and WT as clubs who've played there in recent seasons but they no longer use the venue after Easter weekend 2019.

Because putting suburban games on at 6pm Friday or 3pm Saturday doesn't do anything to grow crowds.

People seem to forget back when they had the old "Match of the Day" the shops shut at mid-day on Saturdays and didn't open at all on Sundays (barring places like the corner store and the news agent).

Timmah

Staff member
People seem to forget back when they had the old "Match of the Day" the shops shut at mid-day on Saturdays and didn't open at all on Sundays (barring places like the corner store and the news agent).
Not to mention the population having grown by several million since those times, the mix of population being different, a whole bunch of factors which put such a proposal into a position where it'd be a risk rather than any sort of certain reward.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
No it's 2 teams and 18 games. Both Dogs and Souths play 9 games there a year. After the first few rounds this year Eels will have all their Sydney home games at WSS and Tigers will move from ANZ to WSS as well.

I didnt say 48 games were played at ANZ, just that between the teams whole are already play at ANZ, we have 48 games across the season that COULD be placed there without much fuss...

We only need 24 games (1 per round, minus the Magic Weekend) so its just a bit of a logistical shuffle to make sure these games are spread out.

THis is not even considering that other teams would probably throw in a game or 2 if it meant getting a FTA slot and much bigger ticket sales.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The problem is that if you limit it to the handful of clubs whose fans will actually bother attending there, it's limiting the reach. .

This would be a Home game for any club willing to participate. But that ignores the fact that 2 teams play in a given match...

Even if these 4 teams are the only clubs willing to play at ANZ, we would still see nearly every club in the comp participate as an Away team (or at least every Sydney team).

The goal would then be to sell these fans on the EVENT and bring these fans back as neutrals. We wanna get neutrals into the habit of attending, but that habit can only form if the event is always in the same place.

Where is the growth coming from that we havent found in the last 100 years of suburban grounds.

Sure, a Sunday game might be a sugar hit to the attendance for that week, but it will drop off by the following week.

What i wanna see is structural change to achieve sustainable growth. A weekly event like this is exactly what would achieve that....

Lambretta

First Grade
The introduction of the annualised schedule and the promotion of "live games are the most important factor in scheduling" has killed the opportunity to put the big games on in favourable timeslots.

We need to go back to putting more than one game on in the same timeslot and picking the draw 5 rounds in advance.

These systems worked beautifully, so we improved them by making them worse. Bonkers

Timmah

Staff member
The introduction of the annualised schedule and the promotion of "live games are the most important factor in scheduling" has killed the opportunity to put the big games on in favourable timeslots.

We need to go back to putting more than one game on in the same timeslot and picking the draw 5 rounds in advance.

These systems worked beautifully, so we improved them by making them worse. Bonkers
I actually think the draw is reasonably good at the moment. I prefer not having overlapping games and knowing the full season in advance. I don't see why we'd go back to unscheduled rounds again.

Timmah

Staff member
This would be a Home game for any club willing to participate. But that ignores the fact that 2 teams play in a given match...

Even if these 4 teams are the only clubs willing to play at ANZ, we would still see nearly every club in the comp participate as an Away team (or at least every Sydney team).

The goal would then be to sell these fans on the EVENT and bring these fans back as neutrals. We wanna get neutrals into the habit of attending, but that habit can only form if the event is always in the same place.

Where is the growth coming from that we havent found in the last 100 years of suburban grounds.

Sure, a Sunday game might be a sugar hit to the attendance for that week, but it will drop off by the following week.

What i wanna see is structural change to achieve sustainable growth. A weekly event like this is exactly what would achieve that....
But there's no actual evidence to prove it? Suggesting it will be so "because it worked in the 50s to the 70s" ignores the huge array of things that have changed over the years since it was last a thing. In fact, some of the highest crowd average seasons have happened without such a system in place.

There are so many issues with the proposal already pointed out, it should speak for itself.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

A draw announced at the beginning of the season and one announcing games 5 weeks in advance would end up being nearly identical.

9 has their favourite teams (Brisbane and the big Sydney clubs) and FOX has their demands. It was definitely fun looking in the paper every monday to see the recently announced schedule, but the benefits beyond that are small.

The middle ground i might suggest is announcing the slots for maybe the first 10 weeks. Then let the table start to for and, in week 5/6, announce R11-20. Then in Round 15, announce the R21-25 run home.

I think that would be a nice balance between the current draw and the old "5 weeks in advance". And it would give the NRL something to announce to fans mid-season...

Perth Red

Post Whore
But there's no actual evidence to prove it?

It’s pretty hard to have evidence until you have actually tried it, it’s called innovation.

We cannot solve a problem by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. [A. Einstein]

ground zero

Juniors
maybe the nrl should hand out 1 million free tickets each weekend to the asians an indians an if 10 percent show up to each match off the day. we will need a stadium that holds 120,000 fans

Timmah

Staff member
It’s pretty hard to have evidence until you have actually tried it, it’s called innovation.

We cannot solve a problem by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. [A. Einstein]
Interesting logic from someone opposed to Magic Round.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Interesting logic from someone opposed to Magic Round.

I’m not opposed per se, I just think 4 double headers would be better and sadly we have lost the ones we had due to MR,
and we have reasonable evidence they work well.

Haha why doesn’t the word replacer like D H’ers?

Reactions: Vee

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
But there's no actual evidence to prove it? Suggesting it will be so "because it worked in the 50s to the 70s" ignores the huge array of things that have changed over the years since it was last a thing. In fact, some of the highest crowd average seasons have happened without such a system in place.

There are so many issues with the proposal already pointed out, it should speak for itself.

Of course there is no evidence, it has never been tried....

At absolute worst, the crowd averages stay EXACTLY the same. At best, we create an event that boosts crowds for regular season games and clubs scramble to be a part of it for a bit of easy cash.

Of all of the issues that have been mentioned, I dont see a single one that would even difficult to overcome.

Latest posts