What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sydney relocations

BuffaloRules

Coach
Why are you referring to the Swans figures from 2005?

What did they get the last time they were in the GF? The numbers, like their crowds went backwards alarmingly. I think the novelty is over, and and the introduction of GWS will split their figures even further.

I'll tell you also one thing the AFL doesn't have that the NRL does.

4 of the top 10 rating shows on FTA.

Do you think that is worth anything?

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Because I am showing that it is nonsense to say that neither code have increased audience or fanbase outside of their heartland with expansion. The figures simply prove this to be wrong. Without going through the guys full thesis I suggest George has picked out a selective paragraph to prove his claim that expansion has not equalled bigger audiences and more $'s in the tv deal of either code. Also neither code actually expanded between 2007-2011 to new areas so I am not sure what he was getting at anyway?
re bigger audience,yes heaps, yet it didn't translate to a bigger deal than AFL did it? We have SOo which is massive yet they still got a lot morecash than us just for their domestic comp. Given that you have to ask what do they have we don't? The only two things are greate r capital city exposure and one extra game a week.

The argument we get more viewers therefore will get more money was not proven in the last negotiations, I see little reason to believe it will be in the next. What advantage we do have is the potential to add an extra game and two lucrative markets, something AFL can't do next time. They are pretty much at saturation. We have huge potential for growth, if we are not held back.

Last edited:

georgesnmith

Juniors
I hope he failed. It makes no sense when you see the increase in veiwing figures for both codes outside their traditional heartland audiences.

Out of the top 50 pay tv audiences last year 5 of the 10 nrl games featured Melbourne, more than any other NRL team. This statement "with little evidence to suggest either code expanded its national reach during the period" isn't backed by the evidence I have seen over the last two years so either things have changed dramatically since 2011 or he is largely incorrect. Like I said how can you argue with 750k avg 900k Tv viewers watching the 2012 GF in Melbourne? compare that to how many people watched the RL GF in melbourne pre Storm.

In Sydney in 2005 teh Swans in the GF saw an audience of 991K avg 1.23mill peak in Sydney. It makes no sense to say either code isn't growing its audiences outside its heartlands. I guess it is true that you can get stats to tell you anyting if you ask the right question!

"Results indicated a demarcation of viewer loyalty to each code based on geographic boundaries, consistent with the existing notion of "the Barassi line". Both codes were shown to be largely reliant on traditional markets for driving television viewership figures, with little evidence to suggest either code expanded its national reach during the period, despite vastly contrasting broadcast strategies."

anyone im outta here, getting boring repeating myself.

enjoy your fishing expedition.

coolumsharkie

Referee
The Sharks. You lads carry on with your jerking circle though, I'm off to enjoy my team play footy on the weekend. Ciao.

Garbler

Juniors
Sharks.

But seriously don't u know anything anyone writes at University is true regardless of what happens in the real world? Did you also know universities can tell us Rugby League is inherently patriarchal and misogynist and oppresses women by validating male violence?

/thread 'cause university LOL

mongoose

Coach
Because I am showing that it is nonsense to say that neither code have increased audience or fanbase outside of their heartland with expansion. The figures simply prove this to be wrong. Without going through the guys full thesis I suggest George has picked out a selective paragraph to prove his claim that expansion has not equalled bigger audiences and more $'s in the tv deal of either code. Also neither code actually expanded between 2007-2011 to new areas so I am not sure what he was getting at anyway?
re bigger audience,yes heaps, yet it didn't translate to a bigger deal than AFL did it? We have SOo which is massive yet they still got a lot morecash than us just for their domestic comp. Given that you have to ask what do they have we don't? The only two things are greate r capital city exposure and one extra game a week.

The argument we get more viewers therefore will get more money was not proven in the last negotiations, I see little reason to believe it will be in the next. What advantage we do have is the potential to add an extra game and two lucrative markets, something AFL can't do next time. They are pretty much at saturation. We have huge potential for growth, if we are not held back.

Introducing League to Melbourne has definitely caused a significant increase in NRL TV ratings, sponsorship and the broadcast deal, anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot. However Melbourne has a lot of people from the northern states who have moved there for work etc so there was always going to be a demand for an NRL presence there.

Would Perth or Adelaide have the same affect though? Perth has a case due to the mining boom and many people from the east migrating over. It also has more grassroots League than Melbourne ever had. I am not sure if Adelaide would have any affect though, aging population, poor economy plus they're possibly more AFL crazy than Vic.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Adelaide is where Perth was ten years ago. Do the hard work now and it may be ready for NRL by time the second phase of expansion comes around. NRL is shite at growing the game though so I have zero hope we will ever see it.

Diesel

Referee
Gotta really question the commitment of C'town, 6.5k

I'm starting to think that split home grounds just divides the fans

The Great Dane

First Grade
9000 at Canberra for a sunny day game.

I don't know if this came through on the TV, but there were f##king freezing winds blowing into Canberra all day down here.

You can bet your arse that if that wind was blowing in Sydney that no one would turn up to the footy, especially if the games were being held in a concrete wind tunnel that passes for a stadium like Bruce.

Anyway I was at the game and there's no way in hell that there were 9k people out at Bruce, IMO it would have been closer to 6-7k, but someone at the Raiders is definitely telling porky pies with that 9k number.

How do they survive long term?

Your only taking crowds into account again.

Perth Red

Post Whore
9000 at Canberra for a sunny day game.

How do they survive long term?

Poor crowd but until Canberra gets a decent enclosed stadium it isn't going to change. A stadium like the Dunedin one would do wonders for the Raiders.

On point 2, pokie machines.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Gotta really question the commitment of C'town, 6.5k

I'm starting to think that split home grounds just divides the fans

That is just embarrassing for the NRL. The Tigers should be dragged into NRL hq with a please explain. The game should not tolerate sub 10k crowds full stop.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Poor crowd but until Canberra gets a decent enclosed stadium it isn't going to change. A stadium like the Dunedin one would do wonders for the Raiders.

On point 2, pokie machines.

That is just embarrassing for the NRL. The Tigers should be dragged into NRL hq with a please explain. The game should not tolerate sub 10k crowds full stop.

:? Even I think that's a bit of a double standard PR.

Sure our crowds would rise significantly with an enclosed stadium, but seriously even if we did get an enclosed stadium our crowds wouldn't jump up to where they could and should be.

Without any hype and promotion around the club people in Canberra will still view the Raiders as also-rans (unless we make a grand final), and some of that is on the club for their absolutely diabolical promotion of the team and attitude towards the fans, but a lot of that can also be put down to the complete lack of coverage we get on Nine (and to a lesser extent Fox).

A few more FTA games a year and more then the absolute minimum of 10 seconds a show spent talking about the Raiders and our games on shows like the Footy Show, would over time do wonders for the interest in our club and our crowds.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think the problems of poor management and lack of fan engagement is a charge that could be laid at many clubs.

I was in melbourne for gran Prix weekend and walking around the city you wouldn't have known there was going to be an NRL game taking place just a short walk away, and this on a weekend the city was packed with people looking for something to do pre Grand Prix on Sunday.

Been in Canberra during winter and tbh as big a RL fan as I am I wouldn't take my family to sit in exposed conditions like that stadium has. No wonder crowds are poor, crap club management aside.

Last edited:

BuffaloRules

Coach
Two crowds above 40K in Sydney in the one weekend.

More people have attended those two games then will attend Canberra games this year.

Im sure Im not the only one thinking merger between Canberra and Penrith. A new 24,000 all seater in Goulburn with games against out of state teams in Bargo.

The Hume Highway Cool Vikings Who Ride Cats