What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sydney relocations

elbusto

Coach
That you think AFL is popular or even growing in QLD tells me you're reading the wrong kind of news.

I am not referring to TV ratings. I am referring to the growing underbelly of participants which creates generational change.

That is what the AFL is aiming for - not now but the future.

And I am not talking about AUSKICK crap. I am talking about the growth of AFL comps.

By the way, if anybody bothers to check under age comps in Parramatta district (as an example) look at the under 17 comps. We are losing players at that level at a greater rate than ever before.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
So why dont the AFL move all their loser clubs out of Melbourne?

Because, currently, the other clubs are paying for them so they can keep the under performers and still invest in expansion. If the other clubs refused to pay the ticket tax and demanded equal grant payments the afl could not afford to fund unsustainable clubs AND expand the game the way they have. NRL is in that position at the moment.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
I am not referring to TV ratings. I am referring to the growing underbelly of participants which creates generational change.

That is what the AFL is aiming for - not now but the future.

And I am not talking about AUSKICK crap. I am talking about the growth of AFL comps.

By the way, if anybody bothers to check under age comps in Parramatta district (as an example) look at the under 18 comps. We are losing players at that level at a greater rate than ever before.

AFL is stumbling at literally every level in QLD, I'm not sure what you've read but I'd probably take it with a grain of salt.

You're in Tassie so you're going to be getting Melb dominated news, and AFL puff pieces are the way to go down there but facts are:

AFL has been played in Brisbane for longer than RL.
The Lions have been here longer than the Broncos.

If they haven't made an impact after nearly 30 years of professional ALF and a century of amateur AFL what makes you think they'll suddenly cause a generational change in the next ten?

elbusto

Coach
It's ok the NRL are paying sbw to take a trip.to Samoa lol.

I was discussing that with a mate who used to be a Jersey Flegg coach some years ago. He honestly believes the NRL and the Clubs are looking at cheap path ways through the Pacific Islands and are not that interested in junior footy now - too expensive - just grab a few Union lads from Fiji.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Because, currently, the other clubs are paying for them so they can keep the under performers and still invest in expansion. If the other clubs refused to pay the ticket tax and demanded equal grant payments the afl could not afford to fund unsustainable clubs AND expand the game the way they have. NRL is in that position at the moment.

I think you are missing the point.

Why does the AFL choose to fund them in the first place?

Just because they have the money to do it doesn't mean they have to.

They must see a benefit to do it.

elbusto

Coach
AFL is stumbling at literally every level in QLD, I'm not sure what you've read but I'd probably take it with a grain of salt.

You're in Tassie so you're going to be getting Melb dominated news, and AFL puff pieces are the way to go down there but facts are:

If they haven't made an impact after nearly 30 years of professional ALF and a century of amateur AFL what makes you think they'll suddenly cause a generational change in the next ten?
I read very broadly my friend. I do not read local Melbourne media. I read competition stats and I research very carefully.

elbusto

Coach

Exactly.

They have a long term strategy based on expenditure and risk.

And they have used a lot of pretty low tactics and some outrageous lies in the process.

But it is working.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Of course there is:
TV value of 9 games
Not getting some fans offside
Not getting the afl tragic melbourne media offside

Now would those benefits outweigh expanding the game and having two teams in nsw and qland and extra teams in Perth and Adelaide if that was the choice? I suspect not. The afl has had the luxury if getting existing clubs to fund poor clubs whilst using its TV $'s to expand in heartland cities and new territories.

If the NRL was the Afl we would have 2 teams in melbourne, 2 teams in Brisbane, teams in Perth and Adelaide.

BuffaloRules

Coach
The NRL is only in its 2nd year of decent coin.

I still think they will expand to 18 teams for the next TV deal.

Fordy20

Juniors
Remember, in the early 1980s Newtown were hoping to move to Campbelltown to secure their future - only to go broke first. Then Wests went ahead and made the move. Could we see history repeat?

No one remembers that. Most people don't believe you when you tell them that the Wests Tigers have represented Campbelltown longer than the Magpies did.

TheFrog

Coach

Wrong on both counts.

Rugby League has existed since 1907 and presumably been played in Brisbane all that time. The AFL (the body that administers Australian Rules Football at the top level) was not created until 1990. Perhaps the problem is with confusing the name of the sport with the body that runs it?

The Brisbane Lions were formed by a merger of the Fitzroy Lions and the Brisbane Bears in 1996. The Broncos, as you would know, began in 1988.

Last edited:

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Wrong on both counts.

Rugby League has existed since 1907 and presumably been played in Brisbane all that time. The AFL (the body that administers Australian Rules Football at the top level) was not created until 1990. Perhaps the problem is with confusing the name of the sport with the body that runs it?

The Brisbane Lions were formed by a merger of the Fitzroy Lions and the Brisbane Bears in 1996. The Broncos, as you would know, began in 1988.

Oh man, I thought people like you only hung out on newsgroups...

www.playafl.com.au

Perth Red

Post Whore
Interestingly one of the most powerful voices on the arlc was very much a pro rationalisation of melbourne whilst on afl commission.
On 3 May 1995, The Age highlighted Samuel’s vision for the future of the AFL under the title 'The Samuel Vision' — which included the following major points:

Port Adelaide’s entry to the AFL is a priority.
The AFL is being damaged by maintaining 11 clubs in Victoria.
Fitzroy should consider merging with Brisbane.
Commission should no longer deal with issues of discipline.
Waverley Park’s future will depend on how many clubs are in the competition.
A minimum salary cap should be considered for clubs.
Western Oval is not necessarily the best place for Footscray.
Minimum level of contribution to AFL revenue a condition of clubs keeping license.

While the original AFL commission oversaw expansion to Perth and Adelaide, Samuel says it did not become fully effective until the recommendations of the 1993 Crawford Report into the game's operation were adopted. The AFL board was abolished and the commission given virtually unfettered power (a two-thirds majority of clubs is required to reverse major decisions such as the admission, relocation or merger of clubs).
If a successful commission requires ultimate power, Samuel believes the commissioners themselves need to possess a mixture of skills and experiences in order to make difficult decisions in an environment where the passion of club officials and supporters often challenges what might normally be sound business practice.
Samuel was one of the so-called faceless men who were vilified by supporters during the attempted merger or relocation of clubs such as Footscray, Fitzroy, Melbourne and Hawthorn. So he knows from first-hand experience that even commissioners who are successful in commercial terms are unlikely to win popularity contests. ''You need a combination of hard-headed people with commercial experience, people with a strong knowledge and sensitivity to the tribal values of the competition and those with an ability of how to best massage the areas that need attention and who can make necessary changes,'' he says.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/how-the-afl-commission-broke-the-shackles-20091130-k18f.html

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Given how many we are catching on bated hooks merge tigers and sharks and relocate them,
Perth Tigersharks!

oikee

Juniors
Forget merging anyone or even relocation.
Maybe it is time for a new breakaway comp which will bring in a national comp. ?
Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane , NZ, Melbourne, Central Queensland and Central Coast, PNG and call it the Southern hemisphere League Championship.

taipan

Referee
Forget merging anyone or even relocation.
Maybe it is time for a new breakaway comp which will bring in a national comp. ?
Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane , NZ, Melbourne, Central Queensland and Central Coast, PNG and call it the Southern hemisphere League Championship.

Yeah Super League mark 2.Just what the code needs.send more p*ssed off fans to other codes,and costa lot of money for nothing in the process.
A brilliant suggestion.:roll:
XXXX brings out the loons.