What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sydney Sharks

T-Boon

Coach
The city needs a big well supported team and the roosters aren’t it and the Rabbits have moved west (weirdly) so I am thinking a smart move would be to relocate the sharks to the city. The name is good for the harbour location and the stadium will be brilliant.
They should start playing half their games there and change their name to Sydney.

MugaB

Coach
The city needs a big well supported team and the roosters aren’t it and the Rabbits have moved west (weirdly) so I am thinking a smart move would be to relocate the sharks to the city. The name is good for the harbour location and the stadium will be brilliant.
They should start playing half their games there and change their name to Sydney.
So move roosters to Adelaide? Same colors,
Sharks share similar to sydney fc also

Perth Red

Post Whore
People wont go the end of their block to see the sharks, I don’t think they’re going to travel into the city lol.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
West of Sydney Sharks.... as in so far West of Sydney they end up in Perth.

I don't want the Sharks moved but this place would be hilarious if PR and all of the Sharks fans that go at it suddenly support the same team.

T-Boon

Coach
People wont go the end of their block to see the sharks, I don’t think they’re going to travel into the city lol.

That’s the Cronulla sharks you are talking about. Nobody even knows where Cronulla is.
The Sydney Sharks are like the Sydney Sixers. Kids love them. They will be playing out of the best stadium in one of the best cities in the world.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That’s the Cronulla sharks you are talking about. Nobody even knows where Cronulla is.
The Sydney Sharks are like the Sydney Sixers. Kids love them. They will be playing out of the best stadium in one of the best cities in the world.

but but but tribalism

flippikat

Bench
Y'know, another way to get the Sydney Sharks is just merging the Sydney Roosters and Cronulla Sharks.

The jersey chooses itself.

images

Plus, with the extra space that frees-up, you can add Adelaide. :)

T-Boon

Coach
I believe if the Sharks moved to the city they would eclipse the roosters within 3 years. The Roosters are not popular in the City or the eastern suburbs. There needs to be an injection of something new in the area to compete with the Swans who have taken over.

rooster25

Juniors

Hate to break it to you but the Roosters average higher crowds than the Sharks.

rooster25

Juniors
I believe if the Sharks moved to the city they would eclipse the roosters within 3 years. The Roosters are not popular in the City or the eastern suburbs. There needs to be an injection of something new in the area to compete with the Swans who have taken over.

Sorry have you ever been to the East Subs? The Roosters are loved there. It’s born into you..the Roosters are the East Subs sporting team. The Swans fans are mainly from the inner city areas and expats from MEL,ADL etc

Obviously you hate the Roosters but don’t make ridiculous comments.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Obviously this thread is a troll, but imagine seriously for a second if we could somehow merge the RL fan base in Sydney behind one or a couple of clubs instead of having it split between 9 clubs!?

Imagine one club that averages 130,685 people a game, imagine the total ratings that it'd draw, imagine the united membership numbers, etc, etc, then imagine all the money and resources a club that big would command, and imagine where the game would be now if it had that one giant club in Sydney instead of nine comparatively tiny ones.

If you split that one giant club in two then those two clubs would still average 65k, and those two clubs would have the highest average attendance in the country, and would probably be the biggest sport's clubs in the country. At that point Richmond and Collingwood are only a few thousand behind them though.

Now ask yourself, why the hell are we still persisting with 9 small clubs in Sydney, when given time and generational change we could condense the fan base around maybe just 4-5 much bigger and stronger ones comparatively.

The AFL has done it and look how it's worked out for them, they have two clubs in Melbourne that combined are almost as big as all the Sydney NRL clubs combined, and they've taken two of their weakest clubs in Melbourne and remade them much stronger elsewhere. If the NRL could achieve half of that then the sport would be unimaginably better off then it currently is.

flippikat

Bench
The AFL has done it and look how it's worked out for them, they have two clubs in Melbourne that combined are almost as big as all the Sydney NRL clubs combined, and they've taken two of their weakest clubs in Melbourne and remade them much stronger elsewhere. If the NRL could achieve half of that then the sport would be unimaginably better off then it currently is.

The key to AFLs rationalization of Melbourne (thus far) is making the relocations to NON-heartland expansion markets (Swans to Sydney, Lions to Brisbane). Whether that was intentional or sheer luck, they got it right.

SA & WA would probably not accept a relocated Melbourne club.. but in non-AFL areas they might stand a chance, and preserve some heritage too.

I suspect that the next Melbourne club to fall over won't be moved to Tasmania - instead they'll relocate to Canberra or Newcastle or North Qld.

By the same measure, if the NRL needs to relocate teams at some stage then Adelaide would be a decent choice. Perth possibly too, but they have already put a lot of work into the Pirates brand.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Obviously this thread is a troll, but imagine seriously for a second if we could somehow merge the RL fan base in Sydney behind one or a couple of clubs instead of having it split between 9 clubs!?

Imagine one club that averages 130,685 people a game, imagine the total ratings that it'd draw, imagine the united membership numbers, etc, etc, then imagine all the money and resources a club that big would command, and imagine where the game would be now if it had that one giant club in Sydney instead of nine comparatively tiny ones.

If you split that one giant club in two then those two clubs would still average 65k, and those two clubs would have the highest average attendance in the country, and would probably be the biggest sport's clubs in the country. At that point Richmond and Collingwood are only a few thousand behind them though.

Now ask yourself, why the hell are we still persisting with 9 small clubs in Sydney, when given time and generational change we could condense the fan base around maybe just 4-5 much bigger and stronger ones comparatively.

We are stuck with our history which is a strength but also an anchor that weighs us down and stops us moving forward. I do wonder if the ARL had accepted News Ltd's offer in 1995 and we had gone with 4 super Sydney clubs being fed and part owned by the then 12 clubs what we might look like now?

Your Liverpools, Evertons, Man Utd & Man City, Barcelona, NY Jets and Giants etc are massive because they arent fighting with 9 other clubs in their city

flippikat

Bench
We are stuck with our history which is a strength but also an anchor that weighs us down and stops us moving forward. I do wonder if the ARL had accepted News Ltd's offer in 1995 and we had gone with 4 super Sydney clubs being fed and part owned by the then 12 clubs what we might look like now?

Your Liverpools, Evertons, Man Utd & Man City, Barcelona, NY Jets and Giants etc are massive because they arent fighting with 9 other clubs in their city

Precisely.

American sports leagues don't have more then 2 teams per city - regardless of how big the city is.

A-League has 3 teams in Melbourne & 3 teams will be in Sydney, but it's hard to see a 4th - let alone a 5th in those cities anytime soon.

Even Premier League Football in England has only 5 teams in London. Sure, that's determined by promotion-relegation.. but market forces have determined that about 5 (give or take a club or two) is the representation London deserves - and thats in a league of 20 clubs.

If you built a 16 team from scratch, there's no way Sydney would have as many clubs as we see now.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I suspect that the next Melbourne club to fall over won't be moved to Tasmania - instead they'll relocate to Canberra or Newcastle or North Qld.

By the same measure, if the NRL needs to relocate teams at some stage then Adelaide would be a decent choice. Perth possibly too, but they have already put a lot of work into the Pirates brand.

The AFL won't put a team in Canberra until the Giants are sustainable in Western Sydney independent of Canberra, and even then they'll probably try and dupe the ACT government into propping up another expansion team in another market instead of giving Canberra it's own team.

In his desperate groveling attempts to convince the AFL to give Canberra a local team Andrew Barr has pretty much confirmed that they never will, or at least they won't for a very long time. It's rather ironic actually.

On Perth.

With all due respect to them, I think that the RL community in WA is getting to the point that they're desperate enough that most of them just want a club, any club, and the Pirates brand is expendable so long as they have a team in the NRL. I don't blame them for that either, but I would advise them not to let themselves become too desperate, otherwise they'll end up just getting used like Andrew Barr has (not to suggest that they are anywhere near as bad as he is) and not actually coming any closer to getting themselves a team .

flippikat

Bench
On Perth.

With all due respect to them, I think that the RL community in WA is getting to the point that they're desperate enough that most of them just want a club, any club, and the Pirates brand is expendable so long as they have a team in the NRL. I don't blame them for that either, but I would advise them not to let themselves become too desperate, otherwise they'll end up just getting used like Andrew Barr has (not to suggest that they are anywhere near as bad as he is) and not actually coming any closer to getting themselves a team .

Perth is trapped in a hopeless position.. plenty of 'lip service', and one-off events.. but no solid commitment to a team.. it's seriously worse than the Bears, given that the TV value of their home games late timeslot could be worth a lot to the NRL.

Speaking of the Bears, maybe that's the answer? Perth rebranded as the Bears in some kinda bizarre joint venture.... *shrugs* Bringing together two desperate groups, separated by a vast geological distance - unlikely as it sounds, and as unworkable as it seems - would be just about typical for the kinda hare-brained, ad-hoc evolution of the competition we've seen.

Latest posts