What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tahu $400k

Eels Dude

Coach
I disagree. We have to offer money but within reason. You gotta remember we have a lot of players coming off contract, pretty much all out big names. If we wanna keep him we can't be offering silly wingers 400k a season. It's just not smart negotiating. The problem with Smith these days is he doesn't think ahead. He isn't an accountant but he's given the responsibilities of one.

The Colonel

Immortal
Eels Dude said:
I disagree. We have to offer money but within reason. You gotta remember we have a lot of players coming off contract, pretty much all out big names. If we wanna keep him we can't be offering silly wingers 400k a season. It's just not smart negotiating. The problem with Smith these days is he doesn't think ahead. He isn't an accountant but he's given the responsibilities of one.

Realistically will we re-sign Vella, Wagon and Cayless to the same money they were on? I think that has been taken into consideration. Hindmarsh is the only player worth keeping on better money. Vella especially will not command the dollars he was on for this contract. $400k is a lot of money however I'd be hard pressed to see our top 25 nearing the salary cap this year as well so who is to say that we have not done a Manly as well and offered a retainer up front.

mickdo

Coach
Don't forget that Fitzgerald has final say over the finances, which includes signing off on each player's contract value. So if Fitzy lets it go through, you can't just blame Smith.

Eels Dude

Coach
While I agree with you Colonel I think it should be taken into account the current players feelings on the situation. How would they feel when they try their hardest every week and are told that some winger from another club is being offered 400k to join them. What about when young Johnny Morris comes off contract next year and the club can only offer him 150k.

Eelectrica

Referee
Maybe the $400k deal includes the a one off price of installation of an artificial beach and wave pool in his new back yard. \\:D/
He could invite Chris Thorman over and show him the new Parramatta beach :lol:

The Godfather

Juniors
So if we are allegedly offering Timtam Tofu that much, does that strenghten the rumour that Dykes will be off to the Sharks next year ?

Earl

Coach
How can you blow up about this when you just payed $450k for a 50 minute player?

The only thing that will come out of spending big on these players is next time Hindy needs a contract Parramatta will have no choice but to insult him with a ridicously low offer.

The Colonel

Immortal
Look at it this way ED.

Based on newspaper estimates Parramatta are $1 million under the cap. If the release of Dykes goes ahead that figure rises. Realistically signing two or three players into that $1 million isn't going to sway things a hell of a lot.

We have re-signed Graham and Burt, Witt and quite a few other players on long term deals. The main five off contract next year are Hindmarsh, Vella, Cayless, Morris and Wagon. We are likely to keep four of those five if not three. Attracting the likes of Riddell, Tahu and possibly Morrison to the club and having those players perform well go along way to retaining Hindmarsh, Morris and Co as opposed to signing no-one and struggling again.

fish eel

Immortal
How can you blow up about this when you just payed $450k for a 50 minute player?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

someone dont know much about what they are talking about!!

Nearly half a million for riddell??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

William Hung

Juniors
Put it this way- given the choice would you go:

combination 1- Vella, Cayless, Hindmarsh; or

combination 2- Riddell, Tahu, Hindmarsh

I sure as hell know which combination i'd choose. If we have to outlay big bucks to get quality than do it. I'd at least half Vella and Cayless' contracts cause they don't spend much time on the field (Cayless) or play horribly (Vella).

You could build a team around the second combination and a solid halfback. Just look at the team we've built around the first combination.

Earl

Coach
fish eel said:

:oops: I meant to write 350 8)

The Colonel

Immortal
Earl said:
fish eel said:

:oops: I meant to write 350 8)

Sure you did Earl...... but realistically he doesn't get all that unless he meets certain conditions anyway.

fish eel

Immortal
Thats only with a whole stack of incentives as well.....such as if he plays state of origin, otherwise he wont be getting that much.

Parraren

Bench
Here is the story from the SMH...

Manly want Monaghan's decision before Tahu gets away
By Brad Walter
July 7, 2004

Canberra centre Joel Monaghan has been given until today to accept an offer from Manly amid fears within the Sea Eagles camp that Newcastle's Timana Tahu is headed to Parramatta for a massive deal worth up to $400,000 a season.

Manly officials spoke with the managers of both players yesterday but are understood to have made a formal offer only to Monaghan, although further talks are scheduled for today with Tahu's agent, Daryl Mather.

Having last night missed out on South Sydney halfback Joe Williams, who is expected to remain at Redfern next season, the Sea Eagles have not ruled out the possibility of signing Monaghan and Tahu - but that seems to be a remote possibility.

Tahu, Mather and the Test winger's fiancee, Kasey, yesterday met Knights football manager Mark Sargent and agreed to wait until coach Michael Hagan returns from the Queensland Origin camp tomorrow before making any decision on his future.

But Sargent was unable to make any improvement on Newcastle's latest offer, believed to be about $220,000 per season, and there seems little prospect of the club retaining the 23-year-old father of three beyond this season.

Should Monaghan, who is also considering offers from the Eels, Roosters and Raiders, fail to come to terms with Manly today, the Sea Eagles may then go all out to sign Tahu by increasing their offer.

"Joel has received an offer from Manly that he is currently considering," said Monaghan's agent, Jim Banaghan. "We are also talking to Parramatta and the Roosters and, of course, Canberra, with a view to making a decision on Thursday or Friday. But one of those clubs has become very eager for a decision and have expressed that to us."

Manly executive director Paul Cummings said last night the club had asked for an answer by today.

Meanwhile, the Eels are also understood to be keen on North Queensland back-rower Glenn Morrison, who told the Cowboys last week that he would be playing elsewhere next season.

Wests Tigers are also interested in Morrison but Bradford are favourite to sign him.

In other contract news, North Queensland yesterday announced the signing of Bulldogs five-eighth Johnathan Thurston on a three-year deal believed to be worth more than $750,000.

Bulldogs skipper Steve Price is expected to make a decision on his future after tonight's Origin match, with the Warriors firming as favourites for his signature.

Price's wife, Jo, yesterday returned from a four-day trip to Auckland, during which she reportedly inspected blocks of land near the beach at Kumeu, north-west of the city.

The Warriors seem less likely to snare Kiwis Test captain Ruben Wiki, however, with Wigan and St Helens strongly linked with the 31-year-old Canberra second-rower.

Knights hooker Michael Ennis will tomorrow decide between offers from St George Illawarra and Brisbane.

The Raiders are believed to be interested in Penrith centre Paul Whatuira, while the Cowboys have held talks with Broncos forward Carl Webb.

And goalkicking Wests Tigers winger Luke Covell is set to sign with Cronulla, who are yet to make offers to veteran fullback David Peachey, former Queensland Origin prop Chris Beattie or suspended five-eighth Greg Bird.

Looks like we are still in there with a chance for Tahu, Monaghan & Morrison. I can't see Morrsion heading to England, he's been saying all along he wants to be closer to his & his wifes families.

strider

Post Whore
Exactly - why would Morrison want to head overseas when he can still offer so much here....maybe english clubs are offering HUGE money.

The Colonel

Immortal
Worth up to $400k. So realistically should he not play Origin or Tests we would see him playing for a lot less. If he is playing well enough to be picked for rep games than I'd be happy to have him.

fish eel

Immortal
Here's hoping Steve Price goes to auckland.

That would be a dagger through the bulldogs heart :D

Stagger eel

Staff member
Earl said:

The only thing that will come out of spending big on these players is next time Hindy needs a contract Parramatta will have no choice but to insult him with a ridicously low offer.

so how's the tooth fairy going these days???? :roll:

AlexTheEel

Juniors
I dont know why people on here assume our players coming off contract next year will be on upgraded contracts. Cayless has been injured the last 2 years, Vella hasn't done much and both were on big bucks so if anything their contracts will be downgraded slightly. Hindmarsh might see an upgrade although he is also on a fair amount. As for Johhny Morris we signed him as a country rep and this year he failed to acheive that again. So based on rep player contracts he will also be due for a downgrade, however I think he deserves a few extra $$$.

I'll take a guess:

Vella's on $300 000
Hindmarsh on $350 000
Cayles $300 000
Morris $200 000
Wagon $250 000

Reduce Vella's to $200 000-$250 000, keep Hindy's the same, reduce Cayless by $10-20K add $10K to Morris. Keep Wagon the same or slightly reduced.

I think re nogiating these deals next year will give us more money to play with.

strider

Post Whore
fish eel said:
Here's hoping Steve Price goes to auckland.

That would be a dagger through the bulldogs heart :D

On your way Steve....I hear the weather is nice over there....ok, well maybe the food.... ummm, there's no water restrictions.....ok, well the doggies suck and u look like a criminal if u play there.

Latest posts