What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tahu $400k

fish eel

Immortal
We'd be looking at something like this:

McKinnon
Burt/Anderson/Peterson
Tahu
Vaealiki
Grothe

A good solid fullback, some pace on the wings....a blockbuster on one side with smaller, more elusive finishers on the other.

Be interesting to see how the centre pairing would go....but there's two internationals there.

Parraren

Bench
Forget the $400k. It's all media speculation. No one knows apart from Parramatta, Tahu, his manager and their solicitors.

Tell me how we could afford to make such an offer for Tahu if we have 1 Million dollars to spend, yet we have already signed Riddell & Robinson & have also made an offer to Morrison?

You do the math: 3 players @ 300k + 1 player @ 100k = 1 Million dollars.

True EEL

Bench
Lyon......

your comments are dead right mate and agree with almost everything you have said in recent comments about Tahu and Parra signing quality players....I have said similar things in some posts

I hope like anything we can get Tahu and Morrison to go with Riddell and Robinson, it would be great

People have to realise when they whinge about Parra signing also-ran players like we did last off-season......Tahu is a legitmate rep player and would be a fantastic signing....some people have to wake up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AlexTheEel

Juniors
fish eel said:

McKinnon
Burt/Anderson/Peterson
Tahu
Vaealiki
Grothe

A good solid fullback, some pace on the wings....a blockbuster on one side with smaller, more elusive finishers on the other.

Be interesting to see how the centre pairing would go....but there's two internationals there.

Some pace on the wing? Having Grothe and Burt would be a hell of alot of pace on the wing.

mickdo

Coach
Exactly Parraren. I wish all these people would stop treating these reported figures as if they were even close to accurate. Lets face it. These reporters all take a guess at how much a player might be worth, then add 50% or double it to make their stories more interesting. Most of them have NO IDEA how much clubs are offering.

fish eel

Immortal
Some pace on the wing? Having Grothe and Burt would be a hell of alot of pace on the wing.

Only problem will be getting them quality ball with room to move.

Agent Mulder

Bench
Colonel Eel said:
And Fred Petersen, Mal Kaufusi, Jeremiah Pai etc are the reasons why we should pay top dollar....... McKinnon and Stapleton were lucks of the draw - but what are they 2 out of how many?

Exactley Mate!

Since 2000,Smith has brought so many fringe 1st graders! like the ones you named and Smith maybe gets 1-2 players out of it!

2001-Alex Chan, Scott Donald & Jason Taylor
2003-Shayne Dunley,Adam Peek & Lee Hopkins
2004-Langi,Craig Staplo and Wade McKinnon.

I reckon in those 3 years alone Smith has brought at least 22 new players to the club...ALOT of Rubbish and Recylcing!

Agent Mulder

Bench
Colonel Eel said:
And Fred Petersen, Mal Kaufusi, Jeremiah Pai etc are the reasons why we should pay top dollar....... McKinnon and Stapleton were lucks of the draw - but what are they 2 out of how many?

Exactley Mate!

Since 2000,Smith has brought so many fringe 1st graders! like the ones you named and Smith maybe gets 1-2 players out of it!

2001-Alex Chan, Scott Donald & Jason Taylor
2003-Shayne Dunley,Adam Peek & Lee Hopkins
2004-Langi,Craig Staplo and Wade McKinnon.

I reckon in those 3 years alone Smith has brought at least 22 new players to the club...ALOT of Rubbish and Recylcing!

Nuffy

Bench
400k for a winger that can't kick goals and 350k for a 50 minute footballer with a weight problem.

Next year Hindmarsh will want 600k just to talk to Parra.

Rep wingers are worth 220-250k tops, I will tell you who got the good deal and its not Parra, its Tahu.

Every player whose contract is up for renewal in the next 5 yrs will judge themselves against Tahu and Riddell. You will have a problem of biblical proportions.

Plus don't kid yourselve that Tahu is a centre, hes had plenty of goes in the Newcastle backline and where does he always end up, on the wing because he can't play centre, his positional play is shithouse.

Keep spinning it all you want but you've been had!!!!!!

Remember Nathan Barnes, we'll you've just bought another one!!!! Except this one has cost you another 100k per season.

Agent Mulder

Bench
AlexTheEel said:
Never thought I'd agree with you on anything Lyon but your on the mark mate.

A common whinging topic on this site is that he try to buy too mnay bargain buys. Fair enough, but when we go after some top quality worild class athletes who may cost a fair bit they dont want him.

If you got the money spend it.

Thanks Mate...Its a nice change to be argeeing with people here then doing my usual Smith bashing.

Smith has finally woken up! We have to chase players like Tahu like crazy we need him so badley its not funny,Our backline is as bad as Souths right now.

strider

Post Whore
Nuffy said:
400k for a winger that can't kick goals and 350k for a 50 minute footballer with a weight problem.

Rep wingers are worth 220-250k tops, I will tell you who got the good deal and its not Parra, its Tahu.

Every player whose contract is up for renewal in the next 5 yrs will judge themselves against Tahu and Riddell. You will have a problem of biblical proportions.

Plus don't kid yourselve that Tahu is a centre, hes had plenty of goes in the Newcastle backline and where does he always end up, on the wing because he can't play centre, his positional play is shithouse.

Remember Nathan Barnes, we'll you've just bought another one!!!! Except this one has cost you another 100k per season.

Lovely how the Newy supporters turn on their boys when they leave....thats ok mate - we'll take care of our finances...go back home and cuddle up with Joey - after all, greedy Joey is the reason you can't retain your players.

Agent Mulder

Bench
True EEL said:
Lyon......

your comments are dead right mate and agree with almost everything you have said in recent comments about Tahu and Parra signing quality players....I have said similar things in some posts

I hope like anything we can get Tahu and Morrison to go with Riddell and Robinson, it would be great

People have to realise when they whinge about Parra signing also-ran players like we did last off-season......Tahu is a legitmate rep player and would be a fantastic signing....some people have to wake up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep for sure mate! Here Here! Riddell and Robinson are great signings.
I never really rated Chad Robinson at Parramatta but when he went to the Roosters and got more chances he did some great things.

Yep some people need to wake up...We are finally signing class people.

The Colonel

Immortal
Nuffy said:

True, the money does seem excessive if you assume the del is $400k. Given that the total package is worth $400k - assuming there are incentives for playing Origin and Tests - the deal isn't too bad. If he is playing to the standard where he is selected than all well and good because Parramatta are probably travelling well.

Assuming Johns does his dying Swan act again next year $500k, on top of losing the likes of Tahu and Kennedy - not to mention youngsters like Ennis, looks pretty excessive to me as well. Given the playing expectancy of Tahu is a damn site longer than Johns over the past two years I think we are about even.

Given the amount of money Johns brings to the Newcastle club we can expect to see a lot more players leaving in about two years when he does retire because they'll struggle to keep a team let alone one player by then.

Parraren

Bench
Yes I believe we are paying Riddell $350k/season & Tahu $400k/season. Sorry I have to go and write my Christmas wish list to Santa and oh, does anyone have the tooth fairies new email address?

Agent Mulder

Bench
fish eel said:

McKinnon
Burt/Anderson/Peterson
Tahu
Vaealiki
Grothe

1.McKinnon
2.Burt
3.Tahu
4.Vaealiki
5.Grothe
6.Morris
7.Smith
13.Wagon
12.Morrison
11.Hindmarsh
10.Cayless
9.Riddell
8.Cannings

That team would finish in the top 6

fish eel

Immortal
1.McKinnon
2.Burt
3.Tahu
4.Vaealiki
5.Grothe
6.Morris
7.Smith
13.Wagon
12.Morrison
11.Hindmarsh
10.Cayless
9.Riddell
8.Cannings

7. Witt/Tim Smith
2. Burt/Anderson/Peterson

The bench

14. Widders
15. Vella
16. Stapleton/Tsoulos/Armit
17. Mateo

It would be a great way to bring mateo along next year.

Throw him on for patches when resting Riddell...throw mateo on, shifting morris to hooker, we'd be playing effectively to locks because Wagon would still be there......though the difference would be Mateo is as creative as a 5/8.

I've said it in other threads, Morrison would be the icing on the cake.

Nuffy

Bench
We aren't turning our back on Tahu, he a solid player that has benefited from being in a strong backline but he is after all a winger.

If you were the players at Parra who have just re-signed, probably for less than you could have got on the open market, how would you feel if the club then can find 400k for a winger. I'd be a little pissed off and I'd suggest some of them will be also.

Tahu has got no other choice but to accept the money, hes won the lottery. But don't try and say that package is reduced if he doesn't play rep footy, those clauses usually don't apply to exisiting rep players only up and coming players as an added sweetener.

Please don't insult my intelligence by suggesting that Hindmarsh will re-sign for the same money or that Morris will also. These blokes will want massive upgrades based on what Tahu and Riddell have been offered.

Comparing Tahu to Johns just goes to show you haven't got a clue, one is the best playmaker in the world and the other is a winger.

Have a look at yourselves, you have the best young centre in the world under contract, but he won't play for your club and you are shelling out 400K on a winger that can't kick goals.

You could of had both Monaghan (a true centre) and Roberts for the same money.

You have a great hooker in Morris, yet you bought a 50 minute footballer for 350k.

I wish Tahu well, but don't try and say he is worth anywhere near 400K.

Y2Eel

First Grade
fish eel said:
1.McKinnon
2.Burt
3.Tahu
4.Vaealiki
5.Grothe
6.Morris
7.Smith
13.Wagon
12.Morrison
11.Hindmarsh
10.Cayless
9.Riddell
8.Cannings

7. Witt/Tim Smith
2. Burt/Anderson/Peterson

The bench

14. Widders
15. Vella
16. Stapleton/Tsoulos/Armit
17. Mateo

It would be a great way to bring mateo along next year.

Throw him on for patches when resting Riddell...throw mateo on, shifting morris to hooker, we'd be playing effectively to locks because Wagon would still be there......though the difference would be Mateo is as creative as a 5/8.

I've said it in other threads, Morrison would be the icing on the cake.

where's jack??

Y2Eel

First Grade
Nuffy said:
We aren't turning our back on Tahu, he a solid player that has benefited from being in a strong backline but he is after all a winger.

If you were the players at Parra who have just re-signed, probably for less than you could have got on the open market, how would you feel if the club then can find 400k for a winger. I'd be a little pissed off and I'd suggest some of them will be also.

Tahu has got no other choice but to accept the money, hes won the lottery. But don't try and say that package is reduced if he doesn't play rep footy, those clauses usually don't apply to exisiting rep players only up and coming players as an added sweetener.

Please don't insult my intelligence by suggesting that Hindmarsh will re-sign for the same money or that Morris will also. These blokes will want massive upgrades based on what Tahu and Riddell have been offered.

Comparing Tahu to Johns just goes to show you haven't got a clue, one is the best playmaker in the world and the other is a winger.

Have a look at yourselves, you have the best young centre in the world under contract, but he won't play for your club and you are shelling out 400K on a winger that can't kick goals.

You could of had both Monaghan (a true centre) and Roberts for the same money.

You have a great hooker in Morris, yet you bought a 50 minute footballer for 350k.

I wish Tahu well, but don't try and say he is worth anywhere near 400K.

who said he is going to get 400k?? the paper said up to 400k he would more likely be on something like 250-275

morris is a 5/8 riddel is a top hooker why not buy him?

who says we wont get monahan roberts prob got 400k from rooters plus incentives...

no one will ever compare tahu to the million dollar man johns...

Latest posts