What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tahu $400k

Stagger eel

Staff member
strider said:
fish eel said:
Here's hoping Steve Price goes to auckland.

That would be a dagger through the bulldogs heart :D

On your way Steve....I hear the weather is nice over there....ok, well maybe the food.... ummm, there's no water restrictions.....ok, well the doggies suck and u look like a criminal if u play there.

what about the tax benefits????....he will rake it in big time!!

Eels Dude

Coach
Good points. I think Morris would be on a let less money than you think though. He'd only played one full season of first grade before coming to us and was a bench player as well. I'd say he'd only be on around 125k. Hindy deserves up to 400k. Vella 200k or less is a fair offer, whether he sees that as fair is another thing. Dykes comes off contract too, I don't know whether he'll be re-signed or not, hopefully nowhere near his current amount if he is. Armit hopefully accepts the same. Peterson, well he's one of Smith's favourities so i'd say he'd be staying. Grothe as well may want a pay rise. Vaealiki's off contract as well. It's going to be interesting.

Parraren

Bench
strider said:
Exactly - why would Morrison want to head overseas when he can still offer so much here....maybe english clubs are offering HUGE money.

Exactly, and he can forget about his representative aspirations if he heads to the UK as well.

The 2 reasons he said he wanted to leave the Cowboys were 1) to be closer to his family and 2) to play in Sydney where he will get more exposure to rep selectors. Things must have changed very quickly if he's thinking about England. Although it's possible he may be looking for a 1 year deal in the UK to see what happens with the Central Coast bid?

AlexTheEel

Juniors
Smithy was chasing Morris hard for years, also the Roosters expressed an interest at the time which would have bumped the price up.

Agent Mulder

Bench
Whats everyone bitching about!

Every year its the same old shit...SIGN PLAYERS SIGN PLAYERS! and when Parramatta finally start handing over big money to class players its too much or someone is not happy.

After losing Lyon...i can tell you this,Parramatta have the weakest backline in the comp and buying someone like Tahu who we can afford will go along way to having a class backline again.

Mark Riddell was a great signing,Move Morris to 5/8th! Jesus you all bitch about Wagon being there so thats a problem soloved!

I really hope we get Glenn Morrison,i reckon he will come to us,I have the same feeling i did about Riddell crossing over,Morrison won't go to England if he wants an NSW jersey.

I can't see Manly offering Tahu more then 400k per season,I agree its alot for one winger/center but we need him bad,on the radio this morning on WSFM they pretty much said the Eels have signed him.

AlexTheEel

Juniors
Parraren said:
strider said:
Exactly - why would Morrison want to head overseas when he can still offer so much here....maybe english clubs are offering HUGE money.

Exactly, and he can forget about his representative aspirations if he heads to the UK as well.

The 2 reasons he said he wanted to leave the Cowboys were 1) to be closer to his family and 2) to play in Sydney where he will get more exposure to rep selectors. Things must have changed very quickly if he's thinking about England. Although it's possible he may be looking for a 1 year deal in the UK to see what happens with the Central Coast bid?

Morrison did indicate a few weeks ago that he had no intention of signing a one year deal to keep his options open for the Central Coast. He seems very eager to play rep footy and a year in the UK would cut his chances down significantly.

strider

Post Whore
Yeah I believe Morris was signed for somewhere around $200,000...I think he may deserve a slight increase and he should be happy with that.

At the end of the day, the BIGGEST incentive to get players to resign with us in the future is TO BE WINNING....looking at our current form it seems like we don't have the fire power to be a winning team....if we can sign 2-4 quality players then I think that will put us in a good position to improve and give player hope and want to stay.

Agent Mulder

Bench
Colonel Eel said:
Well said Lyon! :clap:

Thanks dude...Ive been waiting since 1999 for Parramatta to sign some class and its finally happening so i have laid off my Parramatta/Smith bashing for now.

Riddell and Tahu are only 23! man they still have 7 years left in them!

Morris killed it at 5/8 late in 2003 and i hope Smith puts him there again with Tim Smith.

Release Thorman and Dykes there both Rubbish.

fish eel

Immortal
if we can sign 2-4 quality players then I think that will put us in a good position to improve and give player hope and want to stay

Exactly.

For the first time since we spent up big in 96, we're in there competeing for elite players. Sends a good message to the guys at the club.....such as Nathan Hindmarsh, that we want to surround him with quality.

Morrison would be the icing on the cake, and would be a great signing for Hindmarsh.

If we get Morrison and Tahu, then I'd say we signed the three best players available, how many clubs have been able to say that in recent years?

Agent Mulder

Bench
strider said:
Yeah I believe Morris was signed for somewhere around $200,000...I think he may deserve a slight increase and he should be happy with that.

At the end of the day, the BIGGEST incentive to get players to resign with us in the future is TO BE WINNING....looking at our current form it seems like we don't have the fire power to be a winning team....if we can sign 2-4 quality players then I think that will put us in a good position to improve and give player hope and want to stay.

Remember in 1996? we couldn't get anyone to sign! We signed Freeman and then the floodgates OPENED!

Its happening again now! Smith has finally got it again,He tried recylcing players like Pearson,Katavita,Petersen,Peek,Dunley etc etc and how i see it,he has only got maybe 1-2 good players out of it per year like last year with Peek and Dunley and this year with Stapo...Its just not working anymore we need to sign class players.

AlexTheEel

Juniors
Never thought I'd agree with you on anything Lyon but your on the mark mate.

A common whinging topic on this site is that he try to buy too mnay bargain buys. Fair enough, but when we go after some top quality worild class athletes who may cost a fair bit they dont want him.

If you got the money spend it.

fish eel

Immortal
Its happening again now! Smith has finally got it again,He tried recylcing players like Pearson,Katavita,Petersen,Peek,Dunley etc etc and how i see it,he has only got maybe 1-2 good players out of it per year like last year with Peek and Dunley and this year with Stapo...Its just not working anymore we need to sign class players

But also we've got room to move under the cap we never had before.

Penrith and particuarly St George are just finding out what life is like when you develop players and it comes time for contract renewals.

strider

Post Whore
Hey Alex...I've seen Missa hanging around again...think she's lookin for ya ;-) ....this Tahu thing is reigniting the passion :lol:

Freak

Juniors
Tahu would be a fantastic buy, but surely it has to be realistic. If $400K a year is close to the mark then Hindmarsh has to be worth $6 to 8K per year.
There is no way Tahu is worth 10% of our cap. It will simply piss to many of our current players off if not offered similar $$.

Give me Ben McDougal for $150,00 to $180,000 anyday before signing Tahu for $300,000 to $400,000.

You don't need to pay top shelf dollars to buy premiership winning players. Wade McKinnon is prime example.

AlexTheEel

Juniors
The SMH also reported that Riddell would be on over $1 million. Yet on the same day the Telegraph reported $750 000. I think the SMH takes into account incentives. ANd if he can play more then a certain amount of games, play rep footy, get us to the finals etc, he can have all the money he wants.

The Colonel

Immortal
And Fred Petersen, Mal Kaufusi, Jeremiah Pai etc are the reasons why we should pay top dollar....... McKinnon and Stapleton were lucks of the draw - but what are they 2 out of how many?

Paying good money for Tahu and developing a winning squad from quality players ensures the retention of Hindmarsh and co. Sitting dead last on the back of a few more bargain players will go along way to seeing him leave....

True EEL

Bench
400k is a lot of money......but don't forget that the report said "up to 400k" which may mean extra incentives for number of games played, tries etc etc

and although i think the money is basically ridiculous.......lets face it the club has to do soemthing, we have exposed what we have left in the cupboard in the outside backs with Lyon and Vaealiki gone and Burt and others down on form???

Tahu is a quality player, who will play centre....he has been forced to play wing with Newcastle and rep teams.....he will blossom playing centre and is the best of what is left on the market and we should go all out to sign him

also, if the club is offering anywhere near that sort of money, it is probably the best indication that Lyon will not be coming back, so therefore, we need some strikepower in the outside backs..........how many times has he carved us up in games or carved up in SOO and for Australia.....remember the 2001 Grand Final??

AlexTheEel

Juniors
Having Tahu and Ridell also increases our chances of further recruitment i nthe future which means we may not have to inflate prces. They are very respected among other league players.

Latest posts