What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tahu $400k

True EEL

Bench
Nuffy said:
Remember Nathan Barnes, we'll you've just bought another one!!!! Except this one has cost you another 100k per season.

yeah i remember Nathan Barnes......but i don't remember him playing for NSW or Australia.....like one Timana Tahu???

True EEL

Bench
Lyon said:
A good solid fullback, some pace on the wings....a blockbuster on one side with smaller, more elusive finishers on the other.

Be interesting to see how the centre pairing would go....but there's two internationals there.

1.McKinnon
2.Burt
3.Tahu
4.Vaealiki
5.Grothe
6.Morris
7.Smith
13.Wagon
12.Morrison
11.Hindmarsh
10.Cayless
9.Riddell
8.Cannings

That team would finish in the top 6[/quote]

we must be on the same page mate....because that is a gun side......and if we were to sign these players is pretty much the side i would pick, except i would give Witt the first crack at half....and Peterson and Burt would be jostling for that empty wing spot

Pazza

First Grade
antonius said:
Pazza said:
I'd Rather see Tahu at Fullback where he can jump in where ever he wants and make a big difference to this team. Centres only do well when the team does well. Hookers, Halfback and Fullbacks make teams go well. I can see Tahu running support for guys like Cayless and Tsoulos, i can see him Running off Dykes, Riddell and Morris short passes and inside balls. I can see him organising and leading from the back and making some blistering kick returns. He with out a doubt would be the number one player in this backline and he will get so much more ball at FB than centre.
I thought along those lines a couple of years ago that he could be a brilliant fullback. But have tended to re-think that, his positional play (as I said in an earlier post), is pretty poor, even on the wing he gets out of position a lot, he is worse at centre, and he's always been like that. He is not that strong under high balls either, he is a winger, and a good one, I don't know maybe Smith can coach him into better positional play, however I would be confident Hagan has tried and he hasn't succeded

I'd love to see it tried, i feel that if Tahu is going to play centre at the eels he is going to be pretty useless.

ParraMatt

Bench
This would be my team next season

1. Wade Mckinnon
2. Luke Burt
3. Timana Tahu
4. David Vaealiki
5. Eric Grothe
6. John Morris
7. Michael Witt
8. Nathan Cayless (c)
9. Mark Riddell (k)
10. Aaron Cannings
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Glenn Morrison
13. Daniel Wagon

Reserves
14. Dean Widders
15. Jack Afasamaga
16. Chad Robinson
17. Michael Vella

Misty Bee

First Grade
Eels dude, how do they feel watching Tahu wear rep jumpers, collect premiership medals etc?

Would you rather pay $400k on Tahu, or play $400k under the salary cap?????

eelsta

Bench
if thats what he costs then so b it i just hope he does sign and we arnt all gettn our hopes up for nothing :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
then i hope we sign morrison :shock: :shock: :shock:
then well that will do 4 now :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MrT

Juniors
Tahu is pathetic defence. I'll stick my neck out and say that if Luke O'Dwyer didn't get injured he'd be playing centre and he'd be killing it. Defensively he's very good
and he can atack. I remember when he slotted into centre against the Knights in round 3 and he went stright through Gidley to score his 1st try.

Tahu isn't worth more than 220k as he is WINGER!!!!!

Joe Williams resigned with Souths for less than elsewhere because Souths
are looking up. I wish we had Shane Richardson as CEO. They bought Hegarty probably for half what we are paying Tahu yet he's a better player.

I will only be happy if we get Morrisson.

All you people happy that we are signing Tahu for 400k and Riddell for 330k
will be crying next year and years to come when we risk losing Hindmarsh and other talented juniors

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Tahu is worth every cent, would you rather having duds like Peterson & Burt in the centres OR an Australian SOO representitive??

Would you rather youngsters commign through to get there tuition of Peterson & Burt OR an Australian SOO representitive??

Would you rather pay $400,000 under the salary cap OR use up what's entitled to us??

Have a look at our backline now!, i'd pay 200,000 for f**kin Chris Hicks just to see something different there the way we are going.

Brian do what you have too, we need quality backs at our club.

eelsta

Bench
agree 100% ron if we dont buy anyone people winge if we do ditto #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o

MrT

Juniors
My point is I'd rather offer Monaghan 400K than Tahu.
Monaghan is more a complete player at centre than Tahu.
So why aren't we offering the same deal to Monaghan?

We're going for the weaker player. Tahu is a finisher not a creator.
Monaghan can create his own

Morenito

Juniors
After all this talk.... i just hope we at least sign someone or something... and yes i agree signing anyone of those fellas is better then watching what is before us week in week out at the moment... they just simply arnt good enough....Good players, but nothing that gets you excited

Hurriflatch

Referee
Meanwhile, former Test centre Jamie Lyon has told Parramatta he won't be returning to the NRL next season, a decision that's paved the way for the Eels to make a massive offer to Newcastle Test centre Timana Tahu.

It's understood Tahu is ready to turn his back on the Knights and accept a $400,000 per season deal with the Eels, making him one of the highest paid players in the game.

Lyon's decision to continue playing in Wee Waa - the NSW country town where he was discovered by Parramatta - has created plenty of space under the Eels' salary cap in 2005.

Lyon's manager Allan Gainey confirmed Parramatta had requested Lyon to give the club an answer on his future by last week.

"He had to let them know by June 30 whether he wanted to come back next year," Gainey said.

Gainey said Lyon had told the Eels he would be staying in Wee Waa.

"That was the way it was going to go all the time," Gainey said.

"He doesn't say much. He's just playing footy, pig shooting and doing what he always does."

© 2004 AAP
Brought to you by

also posted it in the Lyon thread kinda needed in both though

Eels Dude

Coach
Misty Bee said:
Eels dude, how do they feel watching Tahu wear rep jumpers, collect premiership medals etc?

I think i'd rather play 400k under the cap. That way we won't have too many problems retaining half our side (the ones worth keeping) when they come off contract next season. We could get two quality players for the price we are offering Tahu. He is a good player but the blokes around make him are one of the reasons why he looks so good.

1eyedeel

Juniors
It's a mute point really, there is no way we used up $400k of our salary cap on him. It would have been up around $300k and we probably gave him the rest of Jame Lyon's money as a sign on which is doubtless where that money came from. At $280-$300k, he's a great buy for us.

fish eel

Immortal
I think i'd rather play 400k under the cap. That way we won't have too many problems retaining half our side (the ones worth keeping) when they come off contract next season. We could get two quality players for the price we are offering Tahu. He is a good player but the blokes around make him are one of the reasons why he looks so good

But the ones worth keeping are already on decent money, so its not like we'd need to find another 300K to keep hindmarsh.

Avenger

Immortal
Look I think he is a winger. So be it we will maybe pay a little too much for him, but that is what must happen as we are now an undersirable team to play for. A sample of players will give you all the answers, Parra were one of the most undesirable teams to play for and Tahu was voted the best winger in the comp.

Enough said, lets move on.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Eels Dude said:
Misty Bee said:

I think i'd rather play 400k under the cap. That way we won't have too many problems retaining half our side (the ones worth keeping) when they come off contract next season. We could get two quality players for the price we are offering Tahu. He is a good player but the blokes around make him are one of the reasons why he looks so good.

Retaining half our side??......retaining half of the members of a side 2 just of the bottom of the table??

What 2 quality players can we get for $400,00 still avaliable on the market?

My point is I'd rather offer Monaghan 400K than Tahu.
Monaghan is more a complete player at centre than Tahu.
So why aren't we offering the same deal to Monaghan?

He hasn't played SOO or for Australia yet, if he was that good he'd be playing there by now, don't get me wrong he is a good player but? i'd rather pay that amount of money for Tahu knowing he is a current SOO player then a player who may never play Origin.

Latest posts